dual sport motorcycles

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

dual sport motorcycles

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 pm

thinking about getting one. what would you recommend? don't need a highway worthy one especially, one that is better on dirt :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Re: dual sport motorcycles

Postby orangebox » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Why get a DS if you don't plan much road riding? Would an off-road bike not suit better?

Anyway, I have friends who swear by:
yamaha tenere
Honda transalp
ktm adventure 990
tdm800 (not the newer heavier ones)

what's your budget and type of surface preference?
:)
orangebox

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:38 pm

i would need to buy a truck if it were a pure dirt bike.

i was thinking something smaller and lighter. i already have a big highway worthy bike :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby redharen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Kawasaki KLR 650
redharen
small ax

Postby Woodsman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 am

Yamaha xt250 (this replaced the old xt225)

or, if you want something a little bigger, but still a dirtbike w/running gear, consider a Suzuki DRZ400S

400cc is my personal favorite size of current modern dirtbike engines, 'cause they're still light, but don't leave you hanging on the blacktop...You could use it on the highway, but it's really at home off-road.

They make a supermoto version too, which would be insanely fun on paved switchbacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8B7VjKFMO4&feature=related
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:54 pm

that looks like it's about the right size. looks light enough to pick up when you drop it, over and over...

one day, if i grow up, i would love to have a ktm adventure :)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby orangebox » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:40 am

I asked around and there seems to be a lot of love for the Suzuki DRZ400 as a novice friendly trail bike, but which is still good on-road.

Not sure what the luggage capacity is, or whether you could bung on a tailpack, for when touring, but it's worth a look.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/241/2022/ ... -Test.aspx
orangebox

Postby Q » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

We used KLR650's in the Corps, and they are tits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY

I'd look into Urals.

I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:55 pm

haven't you seen any old movies? the bike with the sidecar either drives up the stairs or into the side of a barn, therefore the aiming must be sh*t.

i have ridden a KLR 650, didn't like it. and a bit tall...i can reach the ground, but would prefer a smaller bike with a lower center of gravity.

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Q » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 pm

marie-angelique wrote:haven't you seen any old movies? the bike with the sidecar either drives up the stairs or into the side of a barn, therefore the aiming must be sh*t.

Yeah, but I was thinking of somewhere you could put your board.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

haha, so yeah, take the most unstable vehicle on the road, then put a sail on it ;)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Woodsman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm

I never want to fully grow up, but if I get my hands on area 51 technology and a bucketload of money, this is the shit:

(the real thing, not the toy)
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:57 pm

so i spent all day yesterday at the MSF dirt bike school. only two students - the other guy started to get pissed off by the end, maybe cause i kept lapping him and he kept stacking when we were riding over the obstacles.....lol

amazingly i didn't stack, even though there were several times i had both wheels sliding....

i got a lot of riding time in, my thighs are fried!

the rental bikes were honda xr200's which were nice, but you can't ride them on the street.

anyhoo, the instructor had a new drz400, which he let me test ride on the dirt. if felt a little stiff (since he had adjusted the suspension for his 270 lb self) and it was a bit tall (i could get toes down, but not flat feet) but otherwise it was a nice machine. i asked if he thought a 400 was too much for a beginner, but he said not for me.

anyhoo, i think i am going to shop for a drz400 :)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Woodsman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm

marie-angelique wrote: my thighs are fried!
that does not surprise me. It is much harder riding off-road - not much butt time there...sorta reminiscent of straight downhill, no?

the rental bikes were honda xr200's which were nice, but you can't ride them on the street.

You can buy a generator kit for those to make them street legal...horns & signals (is it the XRs that have headlight/brake-tail lights?) - though not sure if CA would approve them or not...

anyhoo, the instructor had a new drz400, which he let me test ride on the dirt. if felt a little stiff (since he had adjusted the suspension for his 270 lb self) and it was a bit tall (i could get toes down, but not flat feet) but otherwise it was a nice machine. i asked if he thought a 400 was too much for a beginner, but he said not for me.

anyhoo, i think i am going to shop for a drz400 :)

Awesome - I sat on one new at the store the other day and thought it was high as well. I have a 33" inseam and could also not flatfoot it - I can just flatfoot the 'strom. I don't think it's wheelie and flip prone like the old 2-cycles were, but I'm sure it's got some "go"...a good deal more than the 200s. If you get one, realize that they have larger tanks available through aftermarket - range is the biggest problem for the dual sports.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 pm

yeah, if i bought the drz400 the first thing i would do is get a lowering kit, bigger gas tank and a rack for luggage.

yeah, very little time in the saddle. i am still walking funny :p

are you thinking of getting one woodsy?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe