DPTV IDEAS

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

DPTV IDEAS

Postby RYP » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

OK So I putting together some ideas for DPTV. I am going to focus on one main question (person, place or thing) and then 5 sidetrips

Here is a short list

Somalia
Pakistan
Haiti
Pakistan
Myanmar
Congo
Brazil
Mexico
South Pacific
Iran
and two more locations TBD
They don't care about Afghanistan or Iraq (wonder why?)

I am also going to toss in a vignette about an explorer or crazy dude from history (like Percy Fawcett in Brazil, Josiah Harlan in Pakistan/Afghanistan or Burton when he got the spear through his face in Somalia.

Ideas??
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: DPTV IDEAS

Postby Tacos » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Didn't we vote on something like this before?

I vote DRC and Nkunda. Due to him being "held" in Rwanda, it might actually be easier to get an interview with him.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 pm

For adventurers in History I think you should use Uber-Swede Count Carl Gustav von Rosen.

He flew relief to the Ethiopians when Mussolini invaded.

He dropped his good job as a pilot at KLM to go fight the Russians in Finland during the Winter War.

He tried to fight in the RAF for the allies but was turned down because he was related to Herman Goering (can't say I blame the Brits).

He was dag Hammersjkold's pilot but was ill when he died in a plane crash in the Congo.

He used plinky little planes in the Biafra war and worked with a Canadian dude named Lynne Garrison who devolped a way to drop relief packages for hungry people without having the contents spill out everywhere (this tecnique was adopted for later use in Mercy Flights.

He flew relief aid to Ethiopia in 1974 and he was killed in Ethiopian war with Somalia in 1977 during a suprise Somali ambush.

I first read about him years ago in The War Nerd and I am amazed that no one in the English speaking world has done anything with his story (perhaps they have and I have not looked good enough)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_von_Rosen

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php ... LOCK_ID=35
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Tacos wrote:Didn't we vote on something like this before?

I vote DRC and Nkunda. Due to him being "held" in Rwanda, it might actually be easier to get an interview with him.

Nkunda would be excellent. I would like to see someone mention how in Africa people complain about their lack of good leaders but as soon as someone comes along that is actually good those Africans in power put them in jail, like Mandela and Nkunda.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Go to Mog and rescue Lindhout.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:36 pm

The insurgency in southern Thailand, they got IEDs, blown up convoys, beheadings and everything.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Here is a little more for my von Rosen lobbying effort.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 67,00.html

My favorite quote from the article from his wife:

He told me he was going to Biafra," Countess von Rosen said last week, "but he didn't say he would be bombing MIGs.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Leeds and London
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

I go for Mexico. We share their border, their country is under the influence of opus dei and the drug warlords, they celebrate their bicentennial in 2010 and are due another revolution, as they experience one every 100 years, mas o manos.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I know Rosen's story well. There is at least one book about him. I am looking for guys like him and quirky explorers in each region, But also specific things. Not quests (like the early idea for a team of skilled people). As for Lindhout I and another famous flagger found her exact location and who was holding her but her family is not open to the idea of my free offer of getting her and the Aussie out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_von_Rosen

others stuff on him as well

Swedish Voluntary Aviators

Luutnantti Carl-Gustaf von Rosen

1909 � 13 July 1977

Carl-Gustaf von Rosen from Rockelstad was born in the late summer of 1909.

He served as an Ambulance-pilot in Abyssinia before joining KLM.

When the Winter War started he volunteered for service in the Finnish Air Force and he also presented the Finnish Air Force with three aircraft, one Douglas DC-2 (DO-1) and two Koolhoven FK.52 (KO-129 and KO-130), which he had bought for 250 000 Swedish kronor from KLM. The money had given by his mothers cosine John Henry Sager.

He served in Finland as a pilot in LeLv 44 in LeR 4 from 28 February to 31 March 1940. This unit was equipped with Bristol Blenheims and the DC-2 presented by von Rosen. During this period he flew one bombing mission in DO-1.

This mission took place on 1 March when they attack a Soviet airbase behind enemy lines. The crew consisted by the pilot von Rosen, the Finnish co-pilot Skorpa, the Norwegian mechanic/gunner Arvid Christiansen and the Finnish bombardier/observer Rolf �Rolle� Winqvist.

DO-1 was later named �Hanssin Jukka� and used by the Finnish Fieldmarshal Mannerheim as an stabs aircraft during the Continuation War.

On 8 March 1940 he received the Finnish Aviation Badge ("Wings").

He was decorated with the Vapaudenristi 3 (the Finnish Cross of Freedom 3rd Class) on 10 April 1940 for his service in Finland

Nothing more is known about von Rosen's service in Finland.

After the war he returned to Ethiopia to help create this country's Air Force.

Carl-Gustaf von Rosen was killed in Gode, Ethiopia on 13 July 1977 by Somalia-supported guerrilla.

He is buried at the Gulale Cemetery in Addis Abeba.

A curious fact is that his father Count Eric von Rosen was brother-in-law to Herman G�ring.
Eric von Rosen was also the one who presented the Finnish Air Force with its first aircraft when he presented them with a Morane Parasol on 6 March 1918 during the Finnish Civil War. The aircraft was painted with the count's personal lucky sign - the blue swastika and the Finnish Air force used this sign from this on until the end of the Second World War, i.e. the Finnish swastika has nothing to do with Nazism.

Sources:
Carl-Gustaf von Rosen - Ralph Herrmanns, 1975, Wahlstr�m & Widstrand, Stockholm, ISBN 91-46-12370-9
Svensk KLM-flygare som frivillig till Finland - Flygtidningen 15 December 1943 Article by Eino Ritaranta in "Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti" no. 1/1996 kindly provided by Carl-Fredrik Geust
Additional information kindly provided by Carl-Fredrik Geust
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Atrax » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Not exactly sure where to fit it in, but I've always been fascinated by the Americans who went over to fight in Africa's bush wars. Mostly Vietnam vets and the like.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Tacos wrote:Didn't we vote on something like this before?

something similar a while back DP Missions. Ideas? - http://www.cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33045&p=320240&hilit=+ideas#p320240
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby pritchard » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Burma or Congo because they are the least reported on of the world's hot spots.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children."
- John James Audubon
pritchard
Snow Ninja

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:53 pm

I am thinking along the lines of nowonmai. The North American counterparts of Leeds and London,that being Detroit and Cleveland,may be a little too dangerous however.
Sri Lanky

Postby BUZKASHI » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Detroit.
This is not a worthy adversary, a bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads, trying to find reverse in a Soviet tank. Pacifism is not something to hide behind.
BUZKASHI

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe