Shooting Pumpkins With A .50 Caliber .. Hoo Rah

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Shooting Pumpkins With A .50 Caliber .. Hoo Rah

Postby goat balls » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:46 pm

This should make a lot of liberals faint. Where's Dim when you need him?

Machine guns pump up fans
Sunday, October 31, 2004
By STEPHANIE BARRY
sbarry@repub.com

WESTFIELD - It was a great day for .50-caliber machine gun enthusiasts and a bad day for pumpkins.

Try Our Classifieds

When the annual machine gun shoot concludes this afternoon at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, hundreds of thousands of rounds will have been spent, a truckload of pumpkins obliterated and a few of the gun-indifferent converted.

One convert: Baptist church secretary and crocheting devotee Janette G. Sullivan of East Hartford. Her new love for automatic weapons blossomed as she hunched over a Browning M-2 .50-caliber heavy machine gun and fired off 40 deafening rounds.

Dusting off her long khaki skirt and adjusting her cardigan over her mauve turtleneck, Sullivan stepped away from the weapon with a broad smile.

"It was really fun," the bespectacled mother of two said yesterday, yelling over the relentless rat-a-tat-tat erupting around her. "I liked it so much, I went back a second time."

Targets included an 18-foot fiberglass boat, a couple of old Buicks, some empty propane tanks and many, many pumpkins. The event drew hundreds of gun enthusiasts from across New England and beyond. It was sponsored by the sportsman's club and Cop Firearms and Training, a private instruction company.

Certified firearms instructors ushered hundreds of veteran and neophyte shooters up to an array of firepower lined up at four ranges at the sportsman's club for just the cost of the ammo. Weaponry included M-60 medium machine guns, high-power rifles, cannon and vintage models dating back to World War I.

Rental fees ran from $20 to $200, said event founder Edward B. Fleury, a club member and police chief in Pelham. Fleury said it was designed to promote firearm education and safety. Plus, plenty of people want to gawk at guns featured only in movies and on the History Channel.

"If Custer had one of those, Little Big Horn would have changed," Fleury said of the machine gun Sullivan fired earlier.

Gun lovers of all ages and expertise levels came out to the shooting range on Westfield's north side. National high-power rifle champion Norman G. Houle, of West Warwick, R.I., supervised his 11-year-old son yesterday as the boy fired an M-60. "It was great," little Norman A. Houle said during a break, a smudge of gunfire residue across his cheek. "I like it because it just keeps shooting and shooting."

Calling on his marksman genes, the child was one of just a few to hit strategically placed cans of Tannerite, a contact explosive that sent plumes of smoke into the air when they blew.

Nearby, junkyard owner and cannon collector Greg Bodytko of New Haven, Conn., estimated he and his friends would spend $2,000 to $3,000 on ammunition at the event.

"But that's entertainment for five people," he said.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:09 pm

"If Custer had one of those, Little Big Horn would have changed," Fleury said of the machine gun Sullivan fired earlier.

Never a roll-eyes when you need one.

Anywho, Goat. Are there pics available for this story?
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby goat balls » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 pm

goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:03 pm

I've GOT to get me some of that Tannerite.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Shining Eye » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:33 pm

If Custer had Close Air Support and some descent Arty, things would've turned out much different at Little Big Horn.
Shining Eye
BFCus Regularus

Been there, DONE THIS!

Postby Tracker » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:53 pm

Oh, Next year we should field a 'team' from the BFC to go shoot. I did this and it's a blast!

I think we should send Dawn, Kasca, and Swizzerams, with Nick along for support. I think the 4 of them could 'represent' for us here pretty well. Just think, Kasca would be shooting perfect scores thinking of all of the folks here who've pissed her off all year. Dawn is a born Marksmen, Swizzerams would just translate her pare's into direct fire action. Nick will keep score, and hit on all the younger women that have come for a taste of firepower!

I'll be going in 2005, signup now to attend!
RIP EC
It's a Mirage, I'm not REALLY here!
Tracker
Tracker

Postby Romeo247 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:12 am

check out the outdoor channels or search the web, its a sport out west

Shooting ground hogs with .50 cals or .300 win mag
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby nick » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:58 pm

No way I'm keeping score though. Hitting on how women, yes, keeping score, no. You know me, I like to let a few rounds off every now and then!
nick
Baron Samedi

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!