What's your everyday watch?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: What's your everyday watch?

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 pm

coldharvest wrote:
RYP wrote:37000 thousand plus views??....talk about a buncha WatchFags!

we obviously need a DP watch.

Yes. I nominate either Casio or Suunto.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:47 pm

I just picked up a Casio mudman. So far I'm impressed. If its anything like my old G-shock I'm sure It'll just about handle anything.
I have an Omega Seamaster as well but It don't like to wear it too often.

The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby RYP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:58 pm

A DP Watch? Hmmm. Not a bad idea except you need some decent sun to make my idea work...:))

My latest:
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Bronco » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Accutron Image
My "dress" watch. I haven't worn it since 1971 or whenever it was that I last wore a tie. For everyday use, theft deterrence and general usage I have Timex Expedition which has served me well through two batteries of usage. I have no idea how long I've had it. If if breaks I'll buy another one.

I have a friend who found a Rolex on the beach and we compared accuracy by checking the time every day for a few weeks. My Timex Expedition is more accurate. My cell phone is most accurate, but wouldn't work out at sea where the Rolex is supposed to shine. I was impressed with the size and weight of the Rolex. It's a freaking paperweight. I'd rather have the Expedition on my arm.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 am

if you make a DP watch it might as well be a Timex Expedition - mine is starting to smell funny from it's numerous trips out to sea, but i don't wear it on my wrist unless i am surfing anyhoo. it gets attached to my belt. i use the velcro band that came with it. paid $9.95 for it 6 yrs ago. the last one was going great but i gave it to a friend in peru.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby RYP » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Damn that's an old school watch Bronco! You bring up a good point. A Rolex requires cleaning and adjustment to stay on time. The designation "Officially Certified Chronometer" is an interesting term because that technically means that it can be used for east-west navigation, can function in a variety of positions and meets ISO 3159. But it is such an archaic standard that any electric or digital watch meets.

You can see the tests and certification standards here:

http://www.cosc.ch/
RYP

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

RYP wrote: But it is such an archaic standard that any electric or digital watch meets.

I'd be annoyed if I bought a digital watch that didn't exceed that standard.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:55 pm

There is a certain beauty to imperfection tho. I mean a thug would probably hand you back these watches...and that's beautiful

RYP

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 am

[quote="RYP"]
My latest:
http://watch-tanaka2.sub.jp/casio/PRW-1300YJ-1JF/PRW-1300YJ-1JF.jpg

How do you like it so far? I'm thinking of selling my Suunto Core and getting this Casio so I can have an ABC watch with tide graph and moon age.

Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Well, I went ahead and sold the Core for the watch above. So far I really like it, although I haven't really put it through it's paces with regard to accuracy. I don't care about the compass, but I need the barometer, moon phase and tide graph to be accurate. So far, the moon phase is dead on (not that it's very difficult to nail that), and the tide graph is not too bad. With the barometer, I don't care what the actual air pressure is...I only care about the pressure trends (falling, rising, etc.) and for this, it seems to do quite a good job. The fact that the watch is solar powered and its time is updated by radio signal are two significant bonuses, along with a decent world time city list. Overall, I recommend this watch so far as a decent jack of all trades. If you really want an accurate altimeter and compass while sacrificing many of the above mentioned features (along with durability), stick with the Suunto.

EDIT: One more thing about this model...the barometer graph isn't nearly as nice as it is on the Suunto, or even the Casio that RYP posted above. However, it does give you a quick visual of what's going on.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm

DP watch means I would have to go to China and fire up a slave factory to rebrand some ginzu button festooned bracelet. Either that or find a cache of Russian tank watches and scratch MR Dp on the crystal. Less is more when it comes to watches
the only watch you will ever need:

http://dylanstiles.com/wp-content/uploa ... ch-big.jpg
RYP

Postby roach coach » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I use one of the Casio digital watches that keeps in time with the atomic clock since I always forget how to set them once the hours change. Or else I use my Timex triathlon watch.
..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:45 pm

coldharvest wrote:
RYP wrote:37000 thousand plus views??....talk about a buncha WatchFags!

we obviously need a DP watch.

With RAT Hest attachment
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Caliban » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
Finally, here is a watch with a slide rule:

Which dial is the hot water thermostat ?
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Caliban wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:
Finally, here is a watch with a slide rule:

Which dial is the hot water thermostat ?

it's on the first floor next to the laundry room.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!