Smith & Wesson MP 40cal

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Smith & Wesson MP 40cal

Postby Devlin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 am

Chimborazo wrote:I forgot about this until just now because I haven't frequented gun forums in a while, but was the Glock kaboom issue with the .40 ever put to bed?

It never has but some of the stuff I read is that many of those shooters were using reloads.

When I messed with cars you would hear stuff like "the engine has been rebuilt". I always thought it depends on who did the rebuild. I feel the same way about reloads. There are people who reload and some of them I would not shoot their stuff.

I am going to stick with what I like and know.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 am

Chimborazo wrote:I forgot about this until just now because I haven't frequented gun forums in a while, but was the Glock kaboom issue with the .40 ever put to bed?

Did that whole issue ever make it out of the internets? As in, was there ever any kind of real investigation into it other than just a bunch of bitching online? I own several G22's and haven't ever had a problem with them. And FWIW, I'm Switzerland in the whole good/evil Glock debate. They are just "meh" to me.

I don't get my (tactical) panties in a knot until someone starts besmirching the absolute fucking lords of handguns.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 am

I suspect it was with reloads, and Q, I don't think that it really did make it out of the Internet. I never gave a shit enough to pay too much attention since I've never owned a .40 Glock (or any .40, for that matter). People do some stupid shit with reloads outside of being careless or imprecise.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:18 am

After plenty $$ was spent on research Victorian Police of Australia have purchased 10,000 brand spanken new S&W MP.40 handguns for $7 Million.
- They must be alright pistols for the tight arse Vicpol to spend money on

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 885564.htm
Hunter

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Since I have now moved over to the dark side (Glock), I have researched the living hell out of their pistols *and yes my Glock model 7 rocks* - but on a serious matter, the Kaboom issues are due to using reloads or just "hot" loads in certain makes of Glock handguns that were designed with a rather large tolerance between the cartridge case and the barrel - this is typically called an "unsupported chamber". They do this so if ammo gets dirty or the gun gets dirty, it will still fire - which makes it more reliable in a full-on mud wrestling gun battle.

I have seen pictures of the earlier kaboom models vs. the newer models (same model numbers, different year of mfgr.) and the newer models do have tighter chambers. They are still not tight enough to stop bulging fired cases though, which is why Glock recommends their owners do NOT fire reloads in their guns. I think it has dramatically reduced the kaboom problem though. The bottom line is that the brass just expands too much in a lose Glock chamber and puts overdue stress on the brass. The feed ramp portion where the round enters simply has no support, which is where the brass fractures happen, which is the underlying issue of the kaboom (unless someone is shooting lead bullets in the poly bore, which is a whole different matter - and just as dangerous)

These problems can be solved by ordering an aftermarket barrel with a tighter chamber (Lone Wolf, KKM, Storm lake, etc.), but then if you get into a thick-up mud wrestling gun battle, you might have a jam - though unlikely.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Danger aside, lead through a poly bore = a really annoying cleaning session.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Well I went out yesterday and bought a Glock gen four model 22. Just need to set up a training date and make it my new duty weapon.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!