Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Time's up God botherers

Postby flipflop » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Enjoy your meaningless existence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Stephen Hawking The Universe can create itself from nothing, says Prof Hawking

There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

He had previously argued belief in a creator was not incompatible with science but in a new book, he concludes the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.

The Grand Design, part serialised in the Times, says there is no need to invoke God to set the Universe going.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something," he concluded.

'Planetary conditions'

In his new book, an extract of which appears in the Times, Britain's most famous physicist sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have sprung out of chaos.

Citing the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting a star other than our Sun, he said: "That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions - the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass - far less remarkable, and far less compelling as evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings."

He adds: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
'Eyes of faith'

The book was co-written by US physicist Leonard Mlodinow and is published on 9 September.

In his 1988 bestseller, A Brief History of Time, Prof Hawking appeared to accept the role of God in the creation of the Universe.

"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we should know the mind of God," he said.

But the Bishop of Swindon, Dr Lee Rayfield, said science "can never prove the non-existence of God, just as it can never prove the existence of God."

He added: "Faith is a matter that's outside that.

"But as I look at the universe, and as many people who are much more understanding of cosmology than I, and mathematics, as they look at it, through the eyes of faith, they see a universe which is still very coherent with what we believe about God and His nature."
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Re: Time's up God botherers

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 pm

flipflop wrote:Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe[/size][/b]

The biggest, fattest "DUH" ever.

Besides, the ruling elite don't need god anymore...they have hollywood, and the USMC - and if that doesn't work, there's always blackwater.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:27 pm

flipflop wrote:
But the Bishop of Swindon, Dr Lee Rayfield, said science "can never prove the non-existence of God, just as it can never prove the existence of God."

Sorta reminds me of what the global warming/climate change bunch suggests.

I think logic dictates there is no God outside of human imagination.

You see everything exists, given certain parameters...
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm

But the Bishop of Swindon, Dr Lee Rayfield, said science "can never prove the non-existence of God, just as I can never prove the existence of God."

I fixed his Eminence's quote
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:09 pm

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence" - cancerous pisshead

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:07 am

Wait, Hawking is saying that an all-powerful, omniscient being didn't creat the entire universe just so he could test human beings using arbitrary criteria such as gay/straight, then have those who failed to follow the rules tortured for all eternity? Well, I guess he'll have to be burned at the stake, then.

I love Stephen Hawking so much, he's IRL trolling hard and loving every minute of it. You know that there are going to be some classic comedy moments when he starts debating nervous religious leaders for the cameras. I bet he's already got the choice one-liners programmed into his talking machine.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:58 pm

One question: Where did God get the super collider used to create the big bang?
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:27 pm

God? Yea, sure. I dont buy any of this God crap, though I do tend to revert to my Roman Catholic up bringing when od dodgy planes. Just in case.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 pm

There's a lot of banging going on. That's how you came into existence. Two people banged.

Anybody can bang....and I can imagine some people can bang big. It's not a big deal.

So,in effect,whatever banged is still banging.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:12 pm

This resulted in a country,synonymous with overpopulation,being named after this process. Bangladesh. It has French roots....something to do with bang the douche.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 am

The beauty of it though is that you can have any concept of it that you want at any given time. It's allowed to change and it should because our perception changes. For instance,reading Hawkins today makes me think of an eternal slow motion explosion but I doubt Hawkins would use the word 'eternal'. Wouldn't be prudent. Tomorrow I might think it's a fart.....again.

Maybe it's that which is beyond conceptualizing. Maybe it's what conceptualizes.

If you asked a four year old child whether they believed in God or the Big Bang some might say that God created the Big Bang. Would they be wrong? Of course not. That is their concept at the time. It will likely change many times over the years because what banged is still banging.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Hawkins = the marriage of Dawkins and Hawking done totally by accident. The human mind is wild.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Fifth post in a row.....just to be a bother.
Sri Lanky

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:53 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Fifth post in a row.....just to be a bother.

It's totally OK....we already know you're questing
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:02 pm

you've gone and spoiled his run now
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Next

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe