Fallujah in Pictures

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:25 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:But who on this board (besides Shining Eye) keeps arguing that there are Chechens in Iraq? Or has this little joke taken on a life of its own.

I haven't run into too many Russians or Russian sympathizers on this board. Mostly, the Russians get ripped whenever they come up.

Marco Benoit is another. Infidel had a recent post welcoming the US to the Russian point of view. They aren't necessarily Russian sympathizers, but intense haters of Muslims. It isn't focused on just Chechens, but that is a particular fetish for them. They want to show that Iraq is the front on the war on terror (the war on Muslims, in their minds). Therefore, if the whole Muslim world is massing in Iraq to kill Americans, that is, ironically, a positive development to them as it validates their world view.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby mach1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:26 pm

I have read that too, that WW3 was actually the Cold war itself.

Any thoughts on the possibility that there are some who might concur with such a notion, yet calmy disagree that "a clash-of-civilizations--we-are-still-fighting-the-Crusades" is taking place? On many levels, it may look that way. I'm just saying they may be entirely wrong about the notion of a WW4 being a war against Muslims but is it possible still that the Cold War was WW3?

---
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:29 pm

Bobby Sands wrote:
Buzzsaw wrote:But who on this board (besides Shining Eye) keeps arguing that there are Chechens in Iraq? Or has this little joke taken on a life of its own.

I haven't run into too many Russians or Russian sympathizers on this board. Mostly, the Russians get ripped whenever they come up.

Marco Benoit is another. Infidel had a recent post welcoming the US to the Russian point of view. They aren't necessarily Russian sympathizers, but intense haters of Muslims. It isn't focused on just Chechens, but that is a particular fetish for them. They want to show that Iraq is the front on the war on terror (the war on Muslims, in their minds). Therefore, if the whole Muslim world is massing in Iraq to kill Americans, that is, ironically, a positive development to them as it validates their world view.

Infidel is a Russian who imigrated to the US.

He used to go by the handle Permskiiomon on the old board, and had a hard-on for bragging about how his buddies in the FSB were researching whether Aukai Collin's book was legit, and that if it was Aquil would be having a little non-planned-one-way trip to Russia one of these days.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby goat balls » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:35 pm

I have several friends doing hard time in Afghanistan and Iraq that swear the Chechens are there.

I haven't asked how they came to this conclusion. That's why I asked about the red beards. One s/f guy that has done three tours in Afghanistan told me that there are guys with red beards fighting in the mountains on the Paki border...he assumed rightly or wrongly that they were Chechens.

RYP says no way and I believe him. When he stays off the hallucinogens-RYP has a lot of good contacts.
:)
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:37 pm

Aegis wrote:Infidel is a Russian who imigrated to the US.

He used to go by the handle Permskiiomon on the old board, and had a hard-on for bragging about how his buddies in the FSB were researching whether Aukai Collin's book was legit, and that if it was Aquil would be having a little non-planned-one-way trip to Russia one of these days.

Wait a sec, was that the dude who posted pictures of himself and his overweight buddies firing weapons?
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Aegis » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:41 pm

Bobby Sands wrote:
Aegis wrote:Infidel is a Russian who imigrated to the US.

Wait a sec, was that the dude who posted pictures of himself and his overweight buddies firing weapons?

Thats the one.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:45 pm

mach wrote:I'm just saying they may be entirely wrong about the notion of a WW4 being a war against Muslims but is it possible still that the Cold War was WW3?

Sure, but isn't that just an argument over semantics. Yes, there was a Cold War. Can it be called WW3? Sure, if you want.

The WW4 stuff comes mainly from certain neo-cons, namely, former CIA Director, James Woolsey. Here's an analysis if you are interested:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/after/2003/0408woosley.htm
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe