Need Good Travel Camera...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Need Good Travel Camera...

Postby Rupert » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 pm

I'm looking fer a good digital camera in the $300-500 range. I read up on the suggestions at Polo's Bastards, but to my recollection, none of them were highly recommended. You guys have recommendations?
thx
Rupert
BFCus Regularus

Postby Foulplay » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:21 am

Just an idea, but have you thought about trawling ebay for something second hand or an unwanted gift (worth waiting until after Christmas if you have the time).

My idea of a "good" camera, costs a bit more than what you're talking about.

Like I say... Just an idea.

Cheers,

FP
editor@polosbastards.com
Foulplay
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kapa » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:28 am

I'm not so sure about buying digital 2nd hand (too many things can go wrong), but there are some exellent deals to be had online. I'd always recommend products from the two big players, Canon and Nikon- but RYP recommends Fuji. Check out photo.net for some decent analysis on pros and cons...... http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/
Kapa
BFCus Regularus

Postby jose » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:41 am

foulplay good suggestion,
ebay has good digital equip and inexpensive. Camannet always has good dig.SLR's at reasonable prices.
"support your local anarchist!"
jose
BFCus Regularus

Camera

Postby saintmat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:45 am

I am currently in Afghanistan, and have been using a Canon S1IS. Nice little camera, I did not bring the more expensive Dig SLR (nikon) I have for fear of trashing it while traipsing through the Afghan countryside, and to be quite honest the added weight is not appealing with everything else I carry on my back.

But this little Canon is fast, light, and pretty durable (so far it has stood up to the same abuse I give to my Army gear), 10x optical zoom, 32X digital zoom, and image stabilization (for pics on the move). The price WAS $669CAD when I bought it last spring. Since buying it in April 04, I travelled through the Mid East with it, here in Afghanistan, East Africa, and climbed to the summit of Kilimanjaro, and it has worked flawlessly in all weather and occasions.

I have snapped some 7000 pics with it (it has a file number memory) and all have been crisp clear images. You have the option to go FULLY MANUAL, or completley automatic. It runs on 4 AA batteries, (upwards of 600 pics with Energizer E2 Lithiums, and 400-500 pics on rechargables). It uses a CF card and also takes great video and sound.

The dust is relentless here but so far nothing noticebale on my images, but it will be in need of a severe cleaning and maintenance when I return home in the new year. In my opinion a fantastic little camera, it also has a very cool feature, the LCD screen is a multi-directional fold-away style, so it protects that screen when it is not in use. I have seen so many LCDs with scratched of broken screens. This is a great little feature for those that like to use the screen to shoot with. I don't but sometimes it is nice to be able to shoot overhead and tilt the screen down so you can see it while your camera is three feet above you.

You can purchase a tele and wide angle lens for it (sorry don't know the specs), as well you can apparently get an underwater kit for it too if you want to snorkel with it (I would be hesitant about this due to the lack of actual proper light underwater, and the fact that it is not specifically meant for underwater photography...might just be a neat gimmick by canon)

Hope I didn't bore you, but I just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Mat
Ex Coelis
saintmat

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:23 pm

I bought a minolta dimage g 400 for 375 Frostbackastan dollars and it does me well. And I cant figure out how to work the thing properly!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby RYP » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:32 pm

I reccomend Fuji's for the image quality and they do use a different chip. Most digital cameras are not made by the name on the front.

My latest favorite camera is the Lumix DMC FX7 in black. Tiny think camera with Leica lens and giant screen for photo chimping...

You can switch it to B&W (like I do) and blaze away in motordrive mode.

You can get it for 450 at J&R or from Fryes and other retailers for 499.

Get the one gig memory chip and buy it in black. It doesn't have as nice a pixel look as the Fuji but its the bomb. Sony makes a nice flat machine with a tiny ass lens as well (same price)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panas ... ndex.shtml

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:33 pm

Shouldn't this be moved the new gear forum?
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby RYP » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:39 pm

Oh yeah...and don't buy a digital camera from ebay..it is the perfect place to dump a camera with a problem. Digital cameras are disposable. You wont find people who fix them for less than the purchase price of the newest, faster, better, cheaper model...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby nick » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Let me just echo RYP here: don't buy a used digi on eBay, or any used camera for that matter.

I bought a Sony VX1000 (not a digi--miniDV) second hand on eBay. You know 3 chip, professional camera for over 1,000$. And guess what, it's broken. So now I have to send it out for repair. That takes over 3 weeks to do. So now I'm down a camera for a while and the cash that I would have rather spent on a plane ticket.

Two good spots for used cameras are K&H and B&H. Between the two you should be able to find most anything.

That Lumix is a really nice camera. Has yours been field tested yet?

Which Fuji do you use?
nick
Baron Samedi

Postby Rupert » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. Will look into those recommendations.

FP I would look into something a bit more pricey, but a) I've only begun seriously using a camera the last couple of years and b) I don't want to take something that pricey to a DP and have it break/ get stolen.
Rupert
BFCus Regularus

Postby menzaremba » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:33 pm

take a nikon f801s.
they are inexpensive now, and have magnesium bodies.
you could use it to pound a nail.
digital is has convienence on its side, but if you shoot slide film
your pictures will look much better
menzaremba

Return to Black Flag Cafe