Explosions Rock Banks in Argentina, 1 Dead

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby El Pelon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:09 pm

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Homemade bombs exploded at several banks in Buenos Aires Wednesday, killing at least one person and damaging property, according to police.

There were conflicting reports as to whether there were explosions at two or three banks in the Argentine capital.

Reuters news service reported that bombs exploded at two Citibank (search) branches and at a Banco Galicia (search) branch. The Associated Press reported blasts at one downtown Citibank and at Banco Galicia.

At least two of the bombs went off near ATM machines, one at a Citibank and one at Banco Galicia.

A 38-year-old security guard was killed in the explosion at the downtown Buenos Aires Citibank, said Hernan Fernandez, a spokesman for a private ambulance service.

The homemade bombs went off before the banks opened for the day, damaging the buildings' facades and shattering windows, according to officials.

Police discovered bombs at two other banks that were later detonated, injuring at least one officer, authorities said.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the blasts were carried out by an international terrorist network such as Al Qaeda, or by local groups. Citibank has been named in Al Qaeda documents as a target for attacks.

Nor was it clear whether there was a link to the Asian Pacific Economic Conference (search) summit, scheduled for this weekend in neighboring Chile. Chilean youths rioted in Valparaiso Tuesday in protest of the APEC summit, which President Bush and other world leaders will attend.

Argentina was rocked by an anti-Semitic bombing in 1994 when dozens were killed at a Jewish cultural center. Investigators have blamed Iran and Lebanese Hezbollah for the attack.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
El Pelon
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:14 pm

I fly home from there. I hear the steaks are good and the beer is cheap.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Penta » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:15 pm

Why would any al Qaeda affiliate having anything against Banco Galicia?

A lot of Argentinians have very serious grievances with the banks there.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Stiv » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:18 pm

Hey Rickshaw it's supposedly one of the noisiest cities in the world also......take some cotton balls for your ears at night, that being said I'd love to go there and yes, have a nice steak. Might have to go with the red wine though.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:23 pm

Re: Noisy cities.

By the time I go to bed I am usually so pissed that it doesent matter:)

Now Cairo, thats a noisy city, most Muslem cities are, nothing worse than being blowen outta bed by the morning call to prayer.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Stiv » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:03 pm

Hammana hammana Allah!!!!

Dude you just gave me a wicked flashback.

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe