God I hate Windows

This forum is for technical questions related to the message board. Now for registered users only.

God I hate Windows

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 pm

I am configuring Server 2008 right now and am not able to rate it as an OS yet but it sure ticks me off by the fact it has to have the MBR of the first disk.

Luckily I have a backplane on my computer at home so I just popped out the Ubuntu disk and am now installing 2008 and then I will install XP Pro on the same disk. MS's explanation is that it done this way so "third party" operating systems cannot screw up windows but apparently they have the right to screw up "third party" installations.

I am doing this in anticipation of needing to use server 2008 for upcoming SCADA releases.

Oh, It cannot use tape drives either. First OS I have ever worked with that has never had an option for tape drives (not that I care, I just think that is interesting)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: God I hate Windows

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:48 am

Kurt wrote:Oh, It cannot use tape drives either. First OS I have ever worked with that has never had an option for tape drives (not that I care, I just think that is interesting)

What? That will mess with some smaller shops.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
Kurt wrote:Oh, It cannot use tape drives either. First OS I have ever worked with that has never had an option for tape drives (not that I care, I just think that is interesting)

What? That will mess with some smaller shops.

In a big way. They could handle restoration of files with the addition of a Linux server to handle the tape drive but they would have to switch their long term backup plan to disks.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 pm

God I hate windows

Throw mach out the BFC window and you will see how way cool a window can be.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Return to Technical Questions