Why Insurgent Groups the world over love the Toyota Hilux

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Why Insurgent Groups the world over love the Toyota Hilux

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Guerrilla Trucks
Why rebels and insurgent groups the world over love the Toyota Hilux pickup as much as their AK-47s.
by Ravi SomaiyaOctober 14, 2010
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/why- ... print.html

As the war in Afghanistan escalated several years ago, counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen, a member of the team that designed the Iraq surge for Gen. David Petraeus, began to notice a new tattoo on some insurgent Afghan fighters. It wasn’t a Taliban tattoo. It wasn’t even Afghan. It was a Canadian maple leaf.

When a perplexed Kilcullen began to investigate, he says, he discovered that the incongruous flags were linked to what he says is one of the most important, and unnoticed, weapons of guerrilla war in Afghanistan and across the world: the lightweight, virtually indestructible Toyota Hilux truck.

“In Afghanistan in particular,” he says, “[the trucks are] incredibly well respected.” So well respected, in fact, that some enterprising fraudsters thought them worthy of ripping off. The imitations, Kilcullen says, had flooded the market, leaving disappointed fighters in their wake. But then “a shipment of high-quality [real] Hiluxes arrived, courtesy of the Canadian government,” he explains. “They had little Canadian flags on the back. Because they were the real deal, and because of how the Hilux is seen, over time, strangely, the Canadian flag has become a symbol of high quality across the country. Hence the tattoos.”

It’s not just rebels in Afghanistan that love the Hilux. “The Toyota Hilux is everywhere,” says Andrew Exum, a former Army Ranger and now a fellow of the Center for a New American Security. “It’s the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It’s ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee.” Anecdotally, a scan of pictures from the last four decades of guerrilla and insurgent warfare around the world—the first iteration of the Hilux appeared in the late ’60s—reveals the Toyota’s wide-ranging influence.

Somali pirates bristling with guns hang out of them on the streets of Mogadishu. The New York Times has reported that the Hilux is the pirates’ “ride of choice.” A ragtag bunch of 20 or so Sudanese fighters raise their arms aloft in the back of a Hilux in 2004. Pakistani militants drive through a crowd, guns high, in 2000. It goes on. Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq—U.S. Special Forces even drive Toyota Tacomas (the chunkier, U.S. version of the Hilux) on some of their deployments. (Click here for a gallery of Toyota trucks in conflict-torn regions.)

While Taliban leader Mullah Omar reportedly likes to roll in a Chevy Suburban and Osama Bin Laden is said to have preferred the Hilux’s bigger brother, the Landcruiser, when he was able to move freely, most Al Qaeda lieutenants drive Hiluxes, according to a New York Times report from the early 2000s. Even today, says Kilcullen, “It’s a bit of a sign you’re dealing with Al Qaeda when you come across them in Pakistan. They use the twin-cab version, because you can carry people and stuff in the back, and also mount a heavy weapon in the pickup.”

The truck even has a war named after it: the so-called “Toyota War” between Libya and Chad in the 1980s was dominated by fighters using the light, mobile Hilux. Indeed, Africa, says Kilcullen, is where the truck got its nickname as a fighting vehicle, “the technical.” “When [nongovernmental organizations] and the U.N. first went into Somalia,” he says, referring to a period in the 1990s, “they were not able to bring their own guards. So they got so-called ‘technical assistance grants’ to hire guards and drivers on the ground. Over time, a ‘technical’ came to mean a vehicle owned by a guard company, and then eventually to mean a Hilux with a heavy weapon mounted on the back.”

The Toyota is such a widespread and powerful weapon for insurgents, says Dr. Alastair Finlan, who specializes in strategic studies at Britain’s Aberystwyth University, because it acts as a “force multiplier.” It is “fast, maneuverable, and packs a big punch [when it’s mounted with] a 50-caliber [machine gun] that easily defeats body armor on soldiers and penetrates lightly armored vehicles as well.” It is particularly dangerous, he adds, against lightly armed special-forces operatives.

An experiment conducted by British TV show Top Gear in 2006 offers one explanation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ]. The show’s producers bought an 18-year-old Hilux diesel with 190,000 miles on the odometer for $1,500. They then crashed it into a tree, submerged it in the ocean for five hours, dropped it from about 10 feet, tried to crush it under an RV, drove it through a portable building, hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on fire. Finally they placed it on top of a 240-foot tower block that was then destroyed in a controlled demolition. When they dug it out of the rubble, all it took to get it running again was hammers, wrenches, and WD-40. They didn’t even need spare parts.

The Hilux was originally designed, says Kevin Hunter, president of Toyota’s design division in California, as “a lightweight truck with big tires on big wheels. It was meant as a recreational truck, a truck people could have fun with. They also have a really high ground clearance, which means they’re ideal for off-road work.”

They have always been built, says Hunter, as “body-on-frame” trucks: “There’s a rigid steel frame construction, and the body is fitted on top of that. That’s much stronger that most modern cars, where the body and frame are one. I would describe them as bulletproof. We get people who run them for years. There are 200,000 or 300,000 miles on them and they’re still going.” But Hunter admits he doesn’t know why Hiluxes are so popular with guerrilla forces; many other manufacturers’ trucks, he says, are also body-on-frame.

Kilcullen, who has faced forces using the Hilux in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq, says the vehicle’s longevity is a factor, as is the high ground clearance. “They cover the ground incredibly well,” he says. They are often used by insurgent forces as “a modern version of light cavalry. They move weapons into positions to fire, and can also shift people around very quickly, with a quick dismount. The Hilux is perfectly designed for that. I’ve seen 20 people and a mounted weapon on one.”

A former British special forces soldier, who asked not to be identified because he still consults on active operations, says he too has faced the Hilux, which he refers to as “the technical,” in both Iraq and Afghanistan. “I’d say the appeal is pretty simple,” he says. “You can’t underestimate the value of having a vehicle that is fast, will never break down, and is strong enough to mount a heavy weapon in the back.”

Exum, who has seen the Hilux in action across the Middle East, says the Toyota’s status is self-perpetuating. “Because everyone uses them, there are parts easily available, and mechanics everywhere know how to fix them. That kind of feeds on itself,” he says.

The New York Times piece on Mullah Omar’s car also noted that during Taliban rule in Afghanistan, the Hilux and its larger sibling the Landcruiser “provided ideal platforms for intimidation and enforcement.” The Taliban rode around “ready to leap down and beat women for showing a glimpse of ankle or to lock a man in a shipping container for three weeks until his beard grew to the approved length. Or, most dismal, to drag an accused adulterer or blasphemer to the soccer stadium for execution.”

Some of the Canadian-flagged Hiluxes, says Kilcullen, have almost certainly ended up in Taliban hands this time around. Here’s hoping that history doesn’t drive back around in a Toyota.
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Re: Why Insurgent Groups the world over love the Toyota Hilu

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I got this article from Matt//feraljund

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby SUM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

This is great!
SUM

Postby Dabbi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:53 am

The Hilux was also the first car to reach the north pole and a new 6x6 hilux will probably set the record for the fastest drive to the south pole next month.

http://www.antarcticachallenge.com/
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:07 am

have also seen them in Central America. A great truck. Simple to maintain & fix. Goes anywhere & hauls a huge load. What else do you need. 'Cept for maybe an iPod hookup.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Big Duke 6 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 am

I've been in Australia for almost 3 weeks and see Hilux all over the place. They look like really great trucks - sucks we don't have them in the States.
In the case of a nuclear war I wanna be where I can say, "What the fuck was THAT!?"
- Jay Hickman
Big Duke 6
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am

Did you see the video where Top Gear put one in a building and blew it up yet - it is amazing.

After reading this I went and looked at Tacomas on ebay - hmmmmmm...

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby lmetrucking » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Did you see the video where Top Gear put one in a building and blew it up yet - it is amazing.

~JITW

You will be dissapointed in a Tacoma if you are expecting asian market Hilux performance. The Tacoma is not a ladder frame truck. If you get a Tacoma seriously stuck you will pull the front end off it before you get it out of the mud using the factory mount recovery hooks.
Way too many stupid sensors in the engine management system to make it a serious adventure truck too,(traction control,stability control,brake assist,ect...) Long story short... Hilux= Old school man truck. Tacoma= poseur truck.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I saw a white Hilux here a few months ago...that was a first for me in the U.S. I'd love to have a diesel one.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:10 am

lmetrucking wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:Did you see the video where Top Gear put one in a building and blew it up yet - it is amazing.

~JITW

You will be dissapointed in a Tacoma if you are expecting asian market Hilux performance. The Tacoma is not a ladder frame truck. If you get a Tacoma seriously stuck you will pull the front end off it before you get it out of the mud using the factory mount recovery hooks.
Way too many stupid sensors in the engine management system to make it a serious adventure truck too,(traction control,stability control,brake assist,ect...) Long story short... Hilux= Old school man truck. Tacoma= poseur truck.

Ahhh.. thanks for the tip - I will just have to steal one here in Iraq and ship it back piece by piece via APO

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
lmetrucking wrote:

~JITW

Ahhh.. thanks for the tip - I will just have to steal one here in Iraq and ship it back piece by piece via APO

~JITW

Perhaps (for the states) you could buy the cheapest, crappiest Hilux you can find (I think we had them until 1984), get it registered and then replace it with the parts from the newer imported one. Not sure if you would even have to keep the old frame but really for a 26 year old truck I suspect no one would even check.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby lmetrucking » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm

I would use a South African 05 and up 3500 diesel bolted into an early 80's truck. The ECM's only control ignition timing and fuel delivery. Or to go a step further you could throw the ECM in the trash and put on a mechanical pump.(as long as you register in a state without emissions testing.) Throw the torsion bar set-up in the trash with the ECM and get live,closed knuckle axles from DANA for the front drive. Pretty big job,labor wise, but cheap. For less than $6000. including the donor truck, you could out Rubicon a $30,000 Rubicon.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby strapped » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:33 am

I think if you get a pre-tacoma truck (pre-1994) it is still a hilux. I tool around in a 1992 toyota pickup with a 22re and it is a fantastic truck. The 22re is a little under powered but there is tons of room in the hood for any repairs. I think by 90 the north american toyota went to more curvy and molding but under the plastic it is stll rock solid.

Like ime says the 22re (e for electronic) there are few pain in the ass things like the ECM (oxygen sensors etc). I do like fuel injection though.

By the way, what is wrong with torsion bars? I think they are a really simple and give a good means of independent suspension.
strapped
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:46 pm

strapped wrote:I think if you get a pre-tacoma truck (pre-1994) it is still a hilux. I tool around in a 1992 toyota pickup with a 22re and it is a fantastic truck. The 22re is a little under powered but there is tons of room in the hood for any repairs. I think by 90 the north american toyota went to more curvy and molding but under the plastic it is stll rock solid.

Like ime says the 22re (e for electronic) there are few pain in the ass things like the ECM (oxygen sensors etc). I do like fuel injection though.

By the way, what is wrong with torsion bars? I think they are a really simple and give a good means of independent suspension.

There is nothing "wrong" with torsion bars or stock stateside version Toyota trucks, but travel is limited compared to solid axle/leaf spring set-ups. The weakest link are the stock IFS axle half shafts. They break when you over extend the suspension travel. Since the American market trucks are the same width as the foreign market trucks, a solid axle swap to replace the IFS and torsion bar set-up is the way to go. My 2 cents was geared towards JITW theoretical "balls to the wall,bullet-proof adventure truck," and Kurts curiousity as to if it could be done well cheaply.
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby strapped » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:09 pm

So if you were to install the solid axle and leaf springs would the transfer case stay the same? From what I remember the transfer case is fairly high up and the front axles come down on an angle. I could be thinking of something else, it's freezing cold and snowy outside and I don't want to crawl under my truck to see how that would work.
strapped
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!