Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby Fansy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:04 pm

the girls from mike in brazil are the best and are all shades of rosario dawson. so why get tantalized by a full length feature just go catch a 15 minute all-you-could-have-imagined-and-more pitstop
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Затервяний в Сибири (Lost in Siberia). An archaeologist gets nabbed by the KGB and sent to a labor camp as a spy. The Netflix Instant version English subtitles.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:49 pm

AztecDave wrote:Anybody seen "Restrepo" yet? Have ordered the DVD from Amazon. Will do a movie nite here in my section when it arrives.

not bad, nothing amazing. i wanted to bitchslap the captain every time he interacted with the locals. i found the ending to be a bit depressing, but of course, how could it not be.

old boy fans, you need to see some other south korean cinema, it's really quite decent when stacked up against hollywood. oldboy was actually the third installment of director park chan wook's 'revenge trilogy'. it's not a trilogy in the sense of plot, but in the themes that it explores. the other two, 'sympathy for mr revenge' and 'lady vengeance' are also quite good. also check out 'memories of murder' and my favorite SoKo noir '달콤하 인생' (dalkomhan insaeng, 'bitterweet life').

i had forgotten about that banksy film, thanks for the reminder, shivs. banksy is the shit.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:41 am

AztecDave wrote:Anybody seen "Restrepo" yet? Have ordered the DVD from Amazon. Will do a movie nite here in my section when it arrives.

Finally received my copy of "Restrepo" from Amazon. Not a bad flick - thought there would be more combat footage, though. I have already read Junger's "War" and am waiting to read Hetherington's "Infidel." Soldiers reminded me of the types I had in my infantry platoons in Korea. Soldiers are the same throughout the ages. Except they have more tattoos these days, I think. :)

Kearney does come off as a Neanderthal more often than not when dealing with the locals. But I also think that he was a pretty good Cdr - and that the soldiers thought so too. And I think that proves the point - that infantrymen are fighters - not politicians. No matter what the politicians think they can do and how much nicety training we give them. The soldier, I forget his name, summed that point up very well in his expanded interview.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I saw two good films in the last week. Both are related to the theme of overcoming disabilities, I guess. And the Big One, World War II.

Marwencol is a documentary about a guy with a traumatic brain injury who builds a fantasy WWII village with dolls. The guy has his quirks, to say the least. It's well worth the price of a ticket and an hour and a half, if you live in one of the effete cities or college town where it's playing.

http://www.marwencol.com/

The King's Speech was a great movie. It's about George VI and the therapy for his speech impediment and manages to draw in the larger historical themes of the time pretty well. Leaves you thinking how lucky the world was to have him as king during WWII and not Edward VIII.

http://www.kingsspeech.com/
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Almost ANYONE would have been better than Edward VIII. What a bastard he was. When he stayed at my husband's grandfather's official house in India, when he was still PoW, his grandmother had to leave the ball she'd laid on for him because he was so rude, she was worried she'd commit some terrible crime of lèse majesté (leaving the Presence was bad enough as it was). And she was the kindest, gentlest lady you could hope to meet.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Penta wrote:Almost ANYONE would have been better than Edward VIII. What a bastard he was. When he stayed at my husband's grandfather's official house in India, when he was still PoW, his grandmother had to leave the ball she'd laid on for him because he was so rude

What can you expect of a Nazi?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm

And a spoilt brat Nazi at that.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby deselby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Penta wrote:And a spoilt brat Nazi at that.

The spoilt brat part comes through clearly in the movie. It really is a great film.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm looking forward to it. It hasn't opened here yet - or if it has, only just. And I love Colin Firth.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby ktrout » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:58 pm

I also just recently watched The Last Emperor about Pu Yi, the last Qing Dynasty Emperor. He was enthroned at the age of three, then more or less ended up spending the rest of his life imprisoned. Pretty tragic, really.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 am

Getting into downloading Russian films off of the Internet. Right now I'm watching Американская Трагедия (American Tragedy). Unfortunately Netflix's search really sucks. It's hard to find films based on language.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:15 am

Someone mentioned to me the other day that "The American" is pretty good.Anyone seen it?
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Rhah » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:20 pm

ktrout wrote:Getting into downloading Russian films off of the Internet. Right now I'm watching Американская Трагедия (American Tragedy). Unfortunately Netflix's search really sucks. It's hard to find films based on language.

Netflix has The Mark of Cain. Great documentary on Russian prison tattoos and the culture of the Zone.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Rhah wrote:Netflix has The Mark of Cain. Great documentary on Russian prison tattoos and the culture of the Zone.

Thanks, added to Instant.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport