Government and Public Auto Auctions Buy Vehicles a

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Government and Public Auto Auctions Buy Vehicles a

Postby Caliban » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:11 pm

"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Caliban wrote:Image

Classic
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Why thank you, but unfortunate that the dick it was aimed at will never actually read it.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:52 pm

What is up with this thread?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:What is up with this thread?

~JITW

It was a response to some inedible spam...
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Heh, a friend of mine had an interesting story the other day.
He used to be undercover in narcotics back in "the old days."
His car had died and he'd needed a new shitbox, so he picked one up from the impound, and then went about his day as normal.
He stopped off to do a deal, and the seller got in his face something bad.
It turned out, the car had belonged to the seller.
He got out of it first by asking the seller "are you a cop," and then throwing his hands up and saying to no one "Drugs? I'm not here to buy drugs, I don't know what this man is talking about."
Then after the seller panicked and started telling him to put his damn hands down, my friend claimed he'd bought it at a police auction.
Then he bought from the guy.
Good times.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Caliban » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Texas Carnie Roadshow wrote:Heh, a friend of mine had an interesting story the other day.
He used to be undercover in narcotics back in "the old days."
His car had died and he'd needed a new shitbox, so he picked one up from the impound, and then went about his day as normal.
He stopped off to do a deal, and the seller got in his face something bad.
It turned out, the car had belonged to the seller.
He got out of it first by asking the seller "are you a cop," and then throwing his hands up and saying to no one "Drugs? I'm not here to buy drugs, I don't know what this man is talking about."
Then after the seller panicked and started telling him to put his damn hands down, my friend claimed he'd bought it at a police auction.
Then he bought from the guy.
Good times.

Not quite the same but I remember back in 1981 just after the Toxteth riots had happened, were still ready to flare up every few days and we were out in force in riot vans. It was about four in the moring and we were parked up in a side street on what had been one of the rioter's "front lines" . In the road about twenty yards in front of us were two burnt out stolen cars that had been a barricade still in the middle of the road (one on its roof) but far eough apart now to let passage through. All was quite and we were all dozing or chatting. A little barrel of a chap out walking his two dogs slowly sidled up to the van and spoke to the Sgt through the front passenger window.
The conversation went much like this.
"Evening, yer ar'right?" says the Sgt with his gentle Irish brogue.
Strange little man (who obviously didn't have all his forks in the right drawer) say "Yeah.....have you seen those cars down there boss?"
"Which ones ?"says the sgt peering through the windscreen
"Those on their roof and burnt " says strange little manSgt again looks through windscreen at cars only yardss away and says " Oh, yes, now I see them. What about them?
"I think they might be stolen"

“Really, what makes you think that then?”
“Well they’ve been burnt and turned upside down.”
“Right, but that might have been an electrical fault caused it.”
Silence from the strange little man for some seconds. Then “Nah, I reckon they are stolen”
Sgt” Right…don’t suppose that you know who they belong to then? So we can ask them if they’ve lost their cars”
“Nah, I don’t” from strange individual.
“Oh right” says the sgt. Then “So we don’t really know if they are stolen or not….they could just be lost.”
Sincere nodding from nocturnal little man
“So when can you get them moved? Asks the boss.
Another several seconds pause before little man says “What?”
“When can you get them moved because they are blocking the road and starting to cause no end of inconvenience” (4 am and not another soul in sight)
Little man” Wh…em..eh…uh er”
“Well you see its like this, we don’t if they are stolen, we don’t know who they belong to, you said you don’t know either, so they are pretty much lost. So they are basically found property and you seem to have found them.”
A moment for this to sink in then –
“As you probably can figure out we are quite busy round here at the time. So we’re not in a position to do anything so under the Riot emergency powers act and the property act. Basically as you are the finder they become yours in sixty days unless the owner comes forward so you need to get them moved pretty quick before you get a fine for obstructing the highway”
Little man by this time more panicky, probably thinking what am I going to do with two burnt out cars in a third floor council flat. “But, but, but, I don’t want them, what will I do with them?”
“Well in sixty days you’ll be able to sell them for scrap but in the meantime…when can you get them moved. Have you got a wagon?”
Little man backing away now saying “well maybe they aren’t stolen…I’ve got to go now…I’ll ask around to see if the neighbours know who they belong to… got to feed me dogs”
We of course were all rolling around in the back of the van pissing ourselves laughing. Easily amused at four in the morning.

Funny how 29 year old memories come back like yesterday
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:33 pm

That is brilliant
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Return to Black Flag Cafe