Stings have a severity index

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Stings have a severity index

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I grew up in Fairfax County and used to catch bullheads all the time. I'm thinking that 10% is bullshit, unless snakeheads are running them out.

Did you eat them? I have never had one. There was one fellow in our area who had a local Hunting Show. I forget the name of the show but the guy's name was Joe Schillinger and he tried to introduce Wausau natives to the glory of Bullhead meat. We considered it a junk fish and people often kept them just to fertilize their flowers.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Kurt wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:I grew up in Fairfax County and used to catch bullheads all the time. I'm thinking that 10% is bullshit, unless snakeheads are running them out.

Did you eat them? I have never had one. There was one fellow in our area who had a local Hunting Show. I forget the name of the show but the guy's name was Joe Schillinger and he tried to introduce Wausau natives to the glory of Bullhead meat. We considered it a junk fish and people often kept them just to fertilize their flowers.

Yeah, but they tasted like mud. My parents, being the lovely people that they are, would sit there and pretend like they were enjoying my contribution to the family's food supply.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

ktrout wrote:Light hearted look at things. That bullet ant must hurt like a motherfucker. One of my "pets" is a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Snaps its claws to create a shock wave which disables its prey. It's said that if it pops you it's like a .22 bullet. I feed it with chopsticks. When I first got it would pop saltwater into my eyes. It's mellowed out since then.

That Mantis Shrimp is way cool. How much did it, plus the aquarium, cost you?
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 am

Atrax wrote:
ktrout wrote:Light hearted look at things. That bullet ant must hurt like a motherfucker. One of my "pets" is a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Snaps its claws to create a shock wave which disables its prey. It's said that if it pops you it's like a .22 bullet. I feed it with chopsticks. When I first got it would pop saltwater into my eyes. It's mellowed out since then.

That Mantis Shrimp is way cool. How much did it, plus the aquarium, cost you?

I'd never even heard of one before I read this. Cool, badass animals.

I found a lecture on them given by a smart, hot woman.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sheila_patek_c ... imals.html
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 pm

That is an excellent link, Kurt.

Thank you for sharing this. Before this I had no idea what cavitation was.

Those are interesting animals for sure.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:25 pm

When I was in Kabul I got in a cab with an Afghan friend; there was a giant (I mean HUGE) hornet looking thing buzzing around in the back window. My buddy (being a macho Afghan) grabbed it and threw it out the window. Within 5 minutes we were stopping at a pharmacy for him to get some medicine to deal with the pain from the sting - his arm was swollen and had red stripes running up it like you see associated with blood poisoning. He ended up having to actually get pain meds along with several ointments and some kind of shot to deal with the sting. I have looked on line to try and find out what the thing was but have never found a site that references stinging insects in Afghanistan - anyone have any idea what the thing was? Closest I have seen to it is the giant hornet of Japan.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:14 am

Chimborazo wrote:I grew up in Fairfax Count

Redneck!

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:I grew up in Fairfax Count

Redneck!

~JITW

Ha, the Lynchburg pot calling the Fairfax County kettle black!
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:14 am

I once ran a trencher right through a Yellow Jacket nest. I got stung several times and work up ten hours later in my truck. They get my vote as nastier than bees or wasps.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby sdg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Does the location of the sting change the Schmidt Sting Pain Index rating?

Once when I was a kid on a family camping trip I got stung on the tongue. I went to take a bite of my burrito and the bee that had evidently been hanging out on my burrito got pissed off 'cause I was about to eat him. Worst of all, the jerk bee made me drop my burrito!
-Steve
sdg

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe