Liberal gun owners are a strange and contradictory group

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Liberal gun owners are a strange and contradictory group

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Liberal gun owners are a strange and contradictory group of fools - i just don't get how you can own a gun and vote for politicians who support ridiculous anti-gun laws at the same time

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Re: Liberal gun owners are a strange and contradictory group

Postby kilroy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 pm

because once you own them they get grandfathered through any new legislation, thus making their collection more valuable when the bans happen?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:54 pm

We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Edited to apologize to Hitoru for not noting the forum this was posted in. Thanks for the heads up Shivers

I have no clue why someone would want gun control in the U.S.A.

The only thing I would add is that sometimes it is hard to know who is a gun control politician and who is not.

Around 2001, I sat with some Michigan Coalition of Responsible gun owners (MCRGO) lobbyists in the state capital while the concealed licensing bill was being passed around during committee, while house was in session and while the senate was in session (well I left about 10:15 p/m - while the Senate was still going). After having written my (then) representative (a Republican) that I would appreciate his support for the bill, I watched him vote against it - then I told a lobbyist sitting right next to me that I just watched my Republican rep vote No on it - and he had a list of all of the Michigan members and told me that guy voted against gun legislation continually according to his records.

I pay attention to gun politics as much as I can as the right to bear arms is a very unique one in the broader view of things.

I think it's uniquely American to be able to own guns, shoot guns, make ammo and buy stuff that is typically restricted to law enforcement and security/military personnel in most countries throughout the globe. Hell, just the knowledge of how to operate a firearm is foreign to most in the world.

To outlaw these rights would be like outlawing America - and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would want to do that if they could.

I will always do my best to ensure that doesn't happen - as far as voting in the right or wrong person though - there is always some error possible there.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:16 pm

shivers wrote:http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35962

Sorry - I forgot that we don't discuss politics on the BFC

And FlipFlop won't mind - now be gone woman, men are talking here

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:29 pm

...but it's a lie perpetrated by the media that Democrats don't like guns.
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' was pro-gun.......for all the good it did her.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ktrout » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm

coldharvest wrote:...but it's a lie perpetrated by the media that Democrats don't like guns.
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' was pro-gun.......for all the good it did her.

A couple of cops milling about in plain clothes in the back might have, though. It took a couple brave civilians to tackle the guy. The cops didn't show up for almost 10 minutes. One of them was carrying concealed, but didn't pull his piece because Laughner was already subdued.
There are a couple vocal old nannies in the legislature who are very anti-gun, but I don't think that's the case in general for Democrats.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby vetparatrooper » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 pm

One of the brave civilians who pulled the magazine the loon was trying to reload into his Glock out of his hand was about a 55-60 yr old woman from what she looked like to me when they interviewed her on the news....I say "good on ya' Mamma for helping out like ya did."
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby Hitoru » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 am

Fuck y'all, Shivers rules this time.
I'm moving it at midnite my time.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 am

Hitoru wrote:Fuck y'all, Shivers rules this time.
I'm moving it at midnite my time.

It's a fair cop
Plenty of other forums to troll in Jimmy.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:05 am

I know many liberal gun owners.

Though it has the stereotype of gun haters owning guns it is not always the case. The same way I know many Conservative anti-war activists.

Where I grew up we had the liberal Dave Obey as a congressman but he was rated A on Gun Control measures by the NRA.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Almost all the gun owners I know are liberal. They vote for pro-gun liberal politicians like Obama and (1) get to keep their guns and (2) get equal civil rights thanks to the repeal of DADT. It's win-win. What's the problem?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Rapier09 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Do you own firearms friendly?
Rapier09

Postby vetparatrooper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 pm

I am not a liberal and I am not a toal right wing conservative. I do not live in a state with very strict gun laws so I really do not have a problem with the gun laws as they are per se because all I have to do is walk into my local gun shop pick out what I want, the guy checks my ID and then runs my criminal check by phone through the NCIS and then I leave with my new toy and go home.

Now, if I lived in a state where the state gun laws were more strict I might feel differently. the thing about liberals is they want gun laws that totally prevent incidents like what happened in Arizona from ever happening at all....that is totally unrealistic in American society where we live in a country that is completely Awash in all sorts of weapons.....And even if the laws are made to be more strict, it might be a deterrent to having these types of events happen for a little while but for the most part, it will be a temporary solution. Laws are only there to tell people what they are not supposed to do....they are not there to totally prevent a complete psycho from going right ahead and doing whatever the fuck his crazy ass mind is ellig him to do anyways.

So even if they were to make gun laws even more stringent, eventually criminals would find ways around the new laws and it would once again be business as usual. This is, again where liberals are living in a fantasy land.......we do not live in the era of the "Minority Report" yet....and should the day ever come when the goverrnment tells me they will be able to "prevent" me from committing a crime before I even do it, or that they will arrest me for even thinking of doing a crime...whether they are using a bunch of twin psychics in a pool of slime or remote viewing or whatever the hell...that will be the day I say good bye to Amerca and I will definitely start Sprechen something else Somewhere else.

Bottom line is that anyone, if they want to commit a crime, whether it is a violent crime or a non-violent crime, they will figure out a way to commit it if they are motivated enough to do it...to think we can live in a world without these types of events happening is completely naive....I am not saying it would not be nice to be able to live in a voilence free world but it just is not realistic at all and that is where people need to get a grip.....you will never be able to legislate someone's individual morality and the truth of the matter is that crime is often a moral decision that people make.....probably not in the Arizona nutjobs case....I think he was truly deluded and obviously mentally unstable, and there again, we will never be without those types of individuals in society either, but as far as normal people doing abnormal things.....somewhere their morality gets screwed up for an instant and no law will ever be able to prevent those things from happening.
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Rapier09 wrote:Do you own firearms friendly?

Dude, I don't even own a car or a cell phone, why the fuck would I spend my money on a gun? An RT ticket to Europe or a chunk of metal I'll never use except at the shooting range? Please.

But I do know tons of people with a bunch of money to blow on toys, and most of them are liberals, or at least social liberals. They're all big Obama voters, they're all NRA members, many of them served in the military. It's totally normal, a lot of liberals like guns. Especially gay men, I think it's sort of a way to claim their masculinity in a society that thinks gays are automatically effeminate. A lot of men who stayed closeted for a long time turned to guns and Christianity as talismans to keep the gayness away, and when they finally come out, they still love guns. And, since Republicans don't want gay people to have civil rights, they usually vote Democrat even if they believe in fiscal conservativism, pro-business, anti-health care conservative things.

Funny story. So, my friend, who has been married for four years and in a relationship with the same guy for ten years, finally came out to his parents. We all did Thanksgiving together, and the guy's father was visibly nervous. He's also a hunter and an antique gun collector. Now, this is in Atlanta, where owning guns is sort of a status thing, particularly in the gay community where there's pressure to still be a "good 'ol boy" despite living in the city and wearing a suit to work every day. It's not like these guys just own a sidearm for protection and a couple of hunting guns - they have gun lockers the size of refrigerators filled with thousands of dollars worth of automatic weapons, collector's items, guns they'll never ever use. [Insert penis-metaphor jokes here.]

So the main gun-loving guy who lived at the house where we were having Thanksgiving starts pulling out guns to show the dad. And pretty soon, you had all these gay guys (plus a lesbian who served two tours in Iraq) talking about guns, and even though I was bored to tears, it was so awesome! The dad was engaged in a conversation he knew lots about, the mom was relieved, the son and his husband could relax, and it was the bestest Turkey Day evar.

That's why Obama ran his presidential campaign, in part, on protecting the right to bear arms - he knew he needed to keep liberal, gun-owning voters on his team. Whenever that mass murder happened in Arizona, he even gave a speech reaffirming to all of us liberals that he would *not* blame guns, he specifically said that it was good to have a debate about it, but he wasn't stupid enough to think there was a single cause for that Loughner kid losing his shit. That wasn't for the Republicans - they won't vote for him anyway. That was for people like my friends, who mainly vote Democrat because the Republicans are racist/sexist/homophobic, but agree with conservatives on everything else, and are sort of afraid the Dems will try to take away their guns. Obama needs those people, because the upcoming elections are going to be close.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe