Can Cannabis Cause Schizophrenia?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby el3so » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Dunno, I heard pretty much the same stories about weed turning kids crazy from some psychiatric ward nurse acquaintances but I didn't believe them then, I still seriously doubt it now.

Ol' mate of mine is a paranoid schizophrenic. If they'd put me in a white coat and paid me accordingly, I'd blame pre-existent genetics and screwing up his circadian rhythm through chronic usage of amphetamines rather than smoking MJ
Caliban wrote: average ages for occurence were 55 and 35 respectively.
Joke's on them, I would turn 35 in 2013 if the world hadn't ended by then...

Caliban wrote: Not because I think something is right or wrong but because of the fear that I might be one of those susceptible minority.
Interesting thought, Caliban esp given your field of work.
Having been around some real addicts, I realised my life isn't near enough fukced-up to follow/copy their sad act. Guess I will always be stuck being a recreational user *sigh*
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Can Cannabis Cause Schizophrenia?

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:55 am

Why is schizophrenia considered a disorder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_schizophrenia

It looks to me and from experience of relating to schizophrenics (they are beautiful people) that it is part of a CONTINUING evolutionary process in our own evolution. Why do scientists think that we have stopped evolving. Have you not noticed how much closer to light young people are compared to even Generation X. Something is happening.

...because one Dutchman cut off his ear a long time ago we have to deem them all crazy?...here,you better take these pills because you're not like us....bullshit.

Whenever I have seen visions or heard voices...quite infrequently but they have occured nonetheless....I have been stone-cold sober. There are cases where people can actually control if they want a vision or not. So,it definitely has something to do with consciousness.

I think it is simply a part of continuing evolution....albeit an incomplete one...for now.

At some point peyote or other vision plants (including cannabis) are not required anymore to achieve the same effect. The brain can do without it.

Psychiatry is just another industry.

Anyways,Amsterdam is one of those rare places where the "schizophrenic" is revered. Mad as a box of frogs. Enjoy.
Sri Lanky

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 am

What's considered "excessive" use?
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rapier09 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:26 am

Your killing Mac Sri Lanky's buzz,Michael.
Rapier09

Postby coldharvest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 am

Rapier09 wrote:Your killing Mac Sri Lanky's buzz,Michael.

don't engage the other posters you monkeys cum-tube
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby el3so » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Sri Lanky wrote: here,you better take these pills because you're not like us...bullshit.

My mate gets slow-working medicine injected every couple of months on account on him not being trusted to take his meds.
They get treatment not because they are not like us, Sri, they get treatment because they will endanger themselves and others due to them being bat-shit crazy.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Caliban » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

el3so wrote:Dunno, I heard pretty much the same stories about weed turning kids crazy from some psychiatric ward nurse acquaintances but I didn't believe them then, I still seriously doubt it now.

I have seen hundreds of people suffering various consequences of all types of drugs, many, many of them, including those at various stages of withdrawal so am completely familiar with cause and effect. None of you can contradict what I have seen or describe what you know, without me understanding what you are talking about because I have undoubtedly seen examples of it too. Be it from kids using "friendly" drugs that leave them acting no worse than a disorderly drunk to smackheads with both legs amputated , still looking for veins to inject.

So when I say that I have seen people, who experienced doctors, not quacks, doctors who act as Police surgeons, have described as having a cannabis psychosis I am talking about people who's demeanour is outside of the parameters of what we would describe as withdrawal symptoms or after effects. Way outside. Doubt it or otherwise I have seen them. Maybe the medical pundits who say it doesn't exists are the real quacks. Never saw any of them doing their thesis or papers in the Police doctors room at 4am when we trying to hold down some poor raving lunatic who though we were space aliens.

I accept what has been said, that some people may have a propensity or gene that puts them more at risk, but some of the argument I have seen here suggests the analogy that if a person with a genetic propensity for diabetes, when it develops should not blame the sweets and biscuits and Big Macs for their type 2 because lots of other people eat those things and they are ok.

That argument does not take away that the original question prompts my response that cannabis does cause mental illness in individuals.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Fenrisco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Amsterdam is one of those rare places where the "schizophrenic" is revered. Mad as a box of frogs.

While living near Amsterdam I met a fellow who was convinced that humans would be happier living underwater. The idea that people can't breathe underwater was a mental blind spot for him; he'd act like you hadn't spoken if you brought the subject up.

He was evangelical to the point that he'd hired healthy blonde models to pose underwater in swimming pools, in day-to-day poses, smiling sweetly, and carried a thick folder of these photos to convince people he met that a return to the seas was in order; his line of thinking being that viewers witnessing the model's obvious pleasure at being a submarine hausfrau would have the scales lifted from their eyes and shun oxygen in favor of the life aquatic. In fact, he had a gallery exhibition coming up. Claimed to have repeatedly experimented with near-drowning experiences himself, being brought 'back' with artificial respiration and defibrilation. No-one cared; just another regulation-issue loony in the bar. I didn't much enjoy talking to him with my back to a canal though and he was a persistent bugger so it was 3AM before I could politely pass him on to another unsuspecting punter and make good my escape.

Everyone was a bit on edge then though, it being shortly after 9/11; the railway station was cordoned off by police one day and Hazmat teams in spacesuits brought in after a bag of flour fell out of an alighting passenger's shopping bag and burst on the platform. Anthrax! I wasn't bothered though as I am probably immune after the time my family all came down with - and recovered from - a mystery disease the day after rowing a small boat around Gruinard Island (bioweapon test site) in the early '80s.
Last edited by Fenrisco on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Rapier09 wrote:Your killing Mac Sri Lanky's buzz,Michael.

Sorry, I was just trying to figure out whether or not I should be worried.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Re: Re:

Postby kilroy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Caliban wrote:
el3so wrote:Dunno, I heard pretty much the same stories about weed turning kids crazy from some psychiatric ward nurse acquaintances but I didn't believe them then, I still seriously doubt it now.

I have seen hundreds of people suffering various consequences of all types of drugs, many, many of them, including those at various stages of withdrawal so am completely familiar with cause and effect. None of you can contradict what I have seen or describe what you know, without me understanding what you are talking about because I have undoubtedly seen examples of it too. Be it from kids using "friendly" drugs that leave them acting no worse than a disorderly drunk to smackheads with both legs amputated , still looking for veins to inject.

So when I say that I have seen people, who experienced doctors, not quacks, doctors who act as Police surgeons, have described as having a cannabis psychosis I am talking about people who's demeanour is outside of the parameters of what we would describe as withdrawal symptoms or after effects. Way outside. Doubt it or otherwise I have seen them. Maybe the medical pundits who say it doesn't exists are the real quacks. Never saw any of them doing their thesis or papers in the Police doctors room at 4am when we trying to hold down some poor raving lunatic who though we were space aliens.

I accept what has been said, that some people may have a propensity or gene that puts them more at risk, but some of the argument I have seen here suggests the analogy that if a person with a genetic propensity for diabetes, when it develops should not blame the sweets and biscuits and Big Macs for their type 2 because lots of other people eat those things and they are ok.

That argument does not take away that the original question prompts my response that cannabis does cause mental illness in individuals.

was not out to insult or to say this is responsible or that is responsible for the craziness in potheads, just saying what has been clinically proven. if you are predisposed to shchizoness, hey, it's on you to figure out if the reward is worth the risk. what you wanna blame apart from yourself, be it genetics or the bud, is irrelevant. i will say this, though. marijuana is not a hallucinogen. if someone thinks something not real is real, then pot is not the proximate cause. whether it's indirectly related, by activating some psychoses or interacting in a synergistic manner with some other hallucinogenic drug, i don't know.

the answer to the original question, put as simply as can with currently accepted medical opinion, is that if you are predisposed to schizophrenia, then yes, cannabis can cause schizophrenia if enough is consumed. if you are not already predisposed to schizophrenia, then no, no matter how much cannabis you ingest, you won't magically catch the schizoness.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Then I would suggest you read this while submerging yourself into flip flop's latest mental being,Fenrisco.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50786

Then check out these. Van Gogh couldn't have done any better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52669

Nice handle BTW,Holland.
Sri Lanky

Postby Woodsman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Can Cannibals Cause Schizophrenia?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

....or can schizophrenia cause cannibal-like behaviour. We're back to the chicken or the egg.

Ovary anyone?
Sri Lanky

longest post in a while

Postby el3so » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

My crazed mate's view on life is basically a persecution complex based on actual persons plotting his demise and trying to drive him crazy by communicating their actions and thoughts via various semi-public media.

While it is at times mildly entertaining to be around a person who believes random tv, chatroom, radio or whatever blurbs are actually about themselves and that microscopic cameras are included in various house-hold appliances; it is probably less fun to be one of the people that is suspect of causing all this personal misery if the supposedly only solution to mending the jinx/spell is some numerological sex-magic kinda ritual.

Sadly the correlation between schizophrenia and suicide is more generally accepted in the medical field than schizophrenia and whatever causes it.
kilroy wrote: was not out to insult or to say this is responsible or that is responsible for the craziness in potheads, just saying what has been clinically proven.
Yes.
Caliban, I didn't mean to disrespect your (or anyone else's) views neither.

Fenrisco wrote:Claimed to have repeatedly experimented with near-drowning experiences himself, being brought 'back' with artificial respiration and defibrilation. No-one cared
Lack of oxygen in the brain 'll fukc anyone up.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: longest post in a while

Postby Caliban » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 pm

el3so wrote:.
Caliban, I didn't mean to disrespect your (or anyone else's) views neither.

Thats alright mate, never even occurred to me that you might be. And that goes both ways for anyoe else too. They are opinions based on personal viewpoint and of course they are always going to be different by their nature. Another reason to come here and talk shit to each other. I often have fuck all else to do these days to keep my mind off moreimportant things !!
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe