need dental work - cntrl Amerika, wst Eur, or cntrl Asia?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

need dental work - cntrl Amerika, wst Eur, or cntrl Asia?

Postby Fansy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 pm

one of my fillings came out and i havent had a check up in years. i think im goin to lose all my teeth pretty soon. i have no health insurance in the US lol

which one of these regions hosts a country with quality cavity drilling/filling at the cheapest prices? and if i need a root canal?

o and what about thailand i think im goin there too.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Re: need dental work - cntrl Amerika, wst Eur, or cntrl Asi

Postby rdkll » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

western euros go to Hungary for dental tourism.

personally, i use a tooth brush
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm

i had a buddy with the most fucked up grille i've ever seen when i was in korea. he got some surgery there where they basically took all of his teeth out, then put them back in straight as can be. all for pretty cheap, too.

or maybe just hit dr. dave up for some charity? maybe he'll do work on you if you volunteer to do some free burma ranger stuff.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Congo and take a videocam with you.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 pm

I lost a filling once. Blew it off, then needed a root canal and then my root cracked and caused an abcess that ate through part of my jawbone then had to have the whole bit removed. Then I tried to get an implant but it was too close to my nerve so I did not want to risk a forever numb face for some cosmetic thingy. Now sometimes food just drops out of my mouth when I chew if I am not paying attention.

Anyway...The US is kick ass in dental care. It is comparatively cheap. The faster you take care of it the better your long term dental health will be. So get it done here, go into debt for it if you have to.

The US has about the best teeth in the world. We take much credit for stuff like "best country in the word" and all these other dubious claims but going abroad for dental care is like living in Tuscany and flying to Central Illinois during Italian white truffle season to eat at Arby's to "save money".

Its stupid. Go to the dentist here. We have the best.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sdg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Kurt wrote:The faster you take care of it the better your long term dental health will be. So get it done here, go into debt for it if you have to.

Agreed. It's your teeth. This set has to last the rest of your life.
-Steve
sdg

Postby Tacos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Thailand.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby RAH » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:40 am

Thailand

Places have listed prices, brochures and some do the serious stuff. European friend I know could have gotten serious stuff (implants) done in Hungary but went to Thailand as it was easier to chill during the 3 weeks in between. Last year, in Chiang Mai I had simple stuff take care of, one composite filling and some cleaning, cost $30 and took under an hour. Equipment was new, very clean standards...dentist was a young lady who spoke English and had studied abroad. Chiang Mai is loaded with small dental clinics.

Here is a site with prices. There are cheaper places. I think I used a place called Funsabai just outside the moat near Thapae Gate..

http://www.dentalchiangmai.com/price_dental_chiangmai.htm

The friend use one in Bangkok on Silom Rd for the serious stuff, she described the clinic as "space age" in terms of new equipment. I think it was this place.

http://www.silomdental.com/
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 am

Personally, I'd go see dr. dave.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:36 am

Thailand is famous for cheap, good dental work.

If in Europe, have you considered the UK?

A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rapier09 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 am

Oh sweet virgin Mary.
Rapier09

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:16 am

fansy:
i've only had dental coverage when not self-employed. the rest of the time i paid in cash. most places offer cash discounts and will allow you to carry the balance. it might be 1-3 grand or more, but suck it up. infected teeth can go systemic-blood poisening, etc.
use a sonicare electric toothbrush. i went one 7 year stretch and didn't see a dentist--that thing saved/s my bacon--minor cavities and minor plaque. it was amazing. its a hundred dollar investment that will reap rewards.
and b)get your work done here. you get what you pay for.
my mom lecture is now done.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby bombaclot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 am

Your teeth are priceless. Pay or do whatever it takes to save your teeth. Try to avoid extracting them. Once you extract one tooth, the remaining teeth will shift causing the other ones to become mobile and eventualy fall out as well one by one. If you do extract, you have to place some kind of space maintainer like a partial to hold them in position. The sooner you take care of it the better. It will only get worse. I deal with these situations daly. It is a very basic procedure, unles you wait until it becomes a very complex procedure.

There are street dentist in India that will do the work right on the street for dirt cheap, but that thought is pretty scary. Try to avoid any of these types of situations. There are good, expierienced doctors here in the US that are willing to work out a payment plan that will fit your financial needs.

The economy is bad. They need the chair time just as much as you need the work done. Your teeth are priceless.
bombaclot

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:29 am

I have had work done in India, Indonesia and the Middle East - oddly they were all Indian doctors - but no complaints except in the Middle East i had to argue with the dentist about opening the needle from a sealed package in from of me

But I would go with Asia

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Rapier09 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 am

I just do most of the work myself,it is not too fucking hard.
Rapier09

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe