Willys Jeep

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Willys Jeep

Postby Rhah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 pm

I was impressed. Tear down and rebuild in 4 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD78rTF0Rjo
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Re: Willys Jeep

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm

I have always wanted on but the maintenance would kill me - I wish someone would make a kit version of the Willys

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 am

I remember when they used to sell those mail jeeps for $200. A man with a welder could put one together in a few days and have her up and running.

I had a 81 CJ7. It was a heap. I went over a friends house who was a farmer - he got his old allister tractor out and we put a brand new late 70s 4.2L motor in it - it ran better than the original one - they all smelled like burning oil when they ran back then!

I love jeeps!

I've had an 81, a 95' (iron mule 4cyl = sucked) and an 07'.

96 1/2 they came out with all coils - definitely better and the guys in CO bragged 'em up day and night after they won the 4x4 of the year award. Those 4.0 h.o. motors = great.

The new minivan motors are ok - not nearly as powerful as the inlines.

Willy's were 4 bangers, but with such a little chassis, you don't need much to get her going.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm

They need to bring their asses over to my house because my frame off is eating up lots of man hours. The Jeep was my great grandfather's. It sat on my grandfather's ranch in Goliad, Texas in the open air for more than 30 years. Here is my blog about the build. Comments welcome. Donations welcome.

http://chriskoym.blogspot.com/

Well this photo got jacked up trying to re-size it, but you get the idea.

I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby WildBill47 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:06 am

id love to have a willys but parts are really hard to find on them anymore.

very nice jeeps though
WildBill47

Postby Fenrisco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:57 am

Woodsman wrote:95' (iron mule 4cyl = sucked)

You mean the YJ's stock 2.5l 4-banger? Shouldn't suck too much unless you got a duff one (or were running 33"+ tires, etc.). The 6-cyl has more power but not as much as one might expect. Just yesterday I got bogged down in 2wd (like a smart guy I forgot about the 2 weeks of rain we just endured) and the 2.5 was perfectly capable of getting us out sharpish in a very authoritative manner... Propels the Heep up to 90mph on the highway, which ain't bad either.

Woodsman wrote:coils - definitely better

Yup, in a YJ you'll feel the bump driving over a shadow... Women riding without a bra will get black eyes... Etc... Although I just put in new Skyjacker nitro shocks and the ride's tremendous.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 am

Khalampre:

Cool blog. Good luck with that.

If you don't have a sandblaster you might want to get one for the dirt and rust. Also you might want to get a lead hammer. They sell them now with a mold to melt and reform the head everytime it gets bent out of shape. You can loosen rusted on nuts without damaging the nuts with a lead hammer (I noticed you had a real hammer in the background and assumed you used it on a troublesome part)

That's all I have to offer.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby khalampre » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks Kurt! My committee chair loaned me a sand blaster, but it kind of blows (yes, pun intended). Parts are NOT hard to come by and are pretty cheap to boot. I will have to pass on the lead hammer. I hate melting lead and if the nut/bolt will not come out I cut it off. I would rather put new bolts/nuts in than to have to fight with 56 year old metal again at some point in the future. I do have body hammers, rubber hammers, BFH, and claw hammers that have been put to use thus far. C-4 is next. I will try to get the motor cleaned up this weekend. I will post a pic here. It is going to look nice.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:I have always wanted one

Oh me too. Mucho me too
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 am

Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!