Sandwich General

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Sandwich General

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Jäeger wrote:Red beet horseradish, kielbasa and a fried egg on pumpernickel. Best breakfast sandwich in the world.

You can thank me later.

That begs to be washed down with a bloody mary + 6oz of beer.

This one bar in Iowa used to serve their bloody marys with a juice glass of beer as a chaser and I am hooked on that way now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Nothing beats one of Cold's sausage sandwiches...hahahahaha....seriously. Hot or cold...don't matter. Be expected to eat the whole goddam sausage....hahahaha
Sri Lanky

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Kurt's Egg Salad Spread:

Boil a dozen eggs (not all will be used in the salad unless you need them there..I like to keep a stash of eggs handy)
Chop some celery (use the center part of one bunch)
Chop three chipotle peppers from a can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce (add more or add less...you should know by now how spicy you like things)
Mayonaise: I prefer stuff in a jar like Hellmans or Kraft but use whatever you like.

Moosh the eggs with a fork or a potato masher in a nice mixing bowl. Add celery, then mix in peppers and mayo. Add mayo as you need it while mixing and keep on sampling until you get it right.

Spread on bread or toast.

Also you can just mash the yolks and make your own version of deviled eggs.

Or chop up some Spam or leftover ham or bacon (leftover bacon?...right).

Wash down with a bloody mary made with beef broth & v8.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Nothing beats one of Cold's sausage sandwiches...hahahahaha....seriously. Hot or cold...don't matter. Be expected to eat the whole goddam sausage....hahahaha

We just bought 5lbs. of venison sausage
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 pm

50% venison and 50% pork....makes for a succulent sausage.
Sri Lanky

Postby Jäeger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Kurt:
That begs to be washed down with a bloody mary + 6oz of beer.

Or if you're in a bit of a hurry / extremely hung over, a glass of beer with tomato juice, salt and pepper.

This one bar in Iowa used to serve their bloody marys with a juice glass of beer as a chaser and I am hooked on that way now.

I can add this to collegiate wrestling as another common enjoyment of both Iowans and Pennsylvanians.

On the sandwhich front, another classic from Pittsburgh:

http://www.primantibrothers.com

And a good one from Shamokin:

Kielbasa loaf or kraksowska thickly sliced and grilled (or pulled pork), barbeque sauce, french fries and coleslaw on a muffuletta roll
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Sri Lanky wrote:Nothing beats one of Cold's sausage sandwiches...hahahahaha....seriously. Hot or cold...don't matter. Be expected to eat the whole goddam sausage....hahahaha

We just bought 5lbs. of venison sausage

Venison is part of the food family I like to call "food that squeaks" ..especially if the venison was shot rather than raised (due to the lower fat content of an already lean meat)

So I was thinking perhaps a "squeak sandwich" would be good. It would have to have venison and cheese curd in it and perhaps the squeaky vegetable could be a roasted leek.

Perhaps a cranberry / Colman's mustard sauce? Hmm..
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re:

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 pm

el3so wrote:Steak tartare on a white roll with pickles, chopped onion, tabasco, pepper, salt, mustard and ketchup.

Wow - that sounds great

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby el3so » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Where is the asshole-chef when you need him?

I take a mildly perverse pleasure in combining curried chicken and sliced boiled eggs on bread but hey, that's just me.
If it's egg salad you're making, next time try adding some tiny flakes of salmon, halibut or whatever smoked fish you have handy, just to offset the taste.
More left-over goodness: slices of roast beef, pan drippings, bit of mustard and a bitter kind of salad like rucola but I prefer cheaper alternatives like dandelion leaves. Make sure they are growing far away from passing traffic and dogs parks though.
In the winter, hard to go wrong with boudin/blood sausage and peeled&baked apples between two thick slices.

IMO "sandwich recipes" should be easy and tasty enough to be prepared and enjoyed by a seriously hung-over person.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Roland » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 pm

el3so wrote:If it's egg salad you're making, next time try adding some tiny flakes of salmon, halibut or whatever smoked fish you have handy, just to offset the taste.

God Lord, that sounds amazing.
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Roland

Re: Re:

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 am

Roland wrote:
el3so wrote:If it's egg salad you're making, next time try adding some tiny flakes of salmon, halibut or whatever smoked fish you have handy, just to offset the taste.

God Lord, that sounds amazing.

It does.

Outstanding thread Roland.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 am

IMO "sandwich recipes" should be easy and tasty enough to be prepared and enjoyed by a seriously hung-over person.

Indeed.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby suwon fish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I was going to suggest roast beef on granary, butter and just enough horseradish to make your nose twitch.

Then, after long consideration of sandwiches, I realised what I hankered for was a nice Coronation chicken sandwich. Not sure why 'cos I haven't had one in about a decade.

A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Re: Re:

Postby Roland » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

Kurt wrote:Outstanding thread Roland.

Thank you, kind sir.

Anyway, I just put some "Sea Salt & Vinegar" potato chips on a chicken salad sandwich. Pretty good stuff.
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Roland

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe