New Morgan...Finally A REAL Car

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

New Morgan...Finally A REAL Car

Postby RYP » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Morgan Motor, the eccentric British automaker with one foot planted firmly in the last century, is reprising the first car it ever built and we have this to say: Oh hell yes. Sign us up.

Automakers have never been short of crazy ideas, and the Morgan Threewheeler (yes, one word) is somewhere near the top of the list. The car was odd when it first appeared in 1909 and it’s even more so today. But it is at heart an elemental machine, one that, for better and worse, places nothing between you and the experience of driving.

The originals were wickedly fast for their time, winning the French grand prix in 1913 and lapping Brooklands at more than 100 mph. Threewheelers set several long-distance speed records in the 1930s. The modern take, dubbed the 3-Wheeler, should be at least as quick.

Power comes from an S&S V-twin hanging off the front. It’s good for 115 horsepower and drives the rear wheel through a Mazda five-speed ‘box and a rubber V-belt. Morgan hasn’t said what the car will weigh, but when it teased us with renderings last year the target was less than 500 kilos. The steel tube chassis is wrapped in aluminum bodywork. Morgan promises the 3-Wheeler is “a driver’s car with properties that do the sporting appearance full justice.”

The car gets its official unveiling next week at the Geneva auto show. Sticker price is 25,000 pounds, or about $40,000. Yeah, we know. Crazy.

Still, go ahead and laugh. Roll your eyes. Scoff, even. But you know you want to drive it. If you don’t, well, fine. We’ll take your spot in line.

Photos: Morgan Motor Co.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: New Morgan...Finally A REAL Car

Postby sdg » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Reminds me of the Homer.
-Steve
sdg

Postby DarthChicken » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Oh that's purty. Not sure if it's 40k purty though..
DarthChicken

Postby coldharvest » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 pm

That is total teen lesbian tits.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby AztecDave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 am

NTM the brit gits keep putting the steering wheel on the wrong side.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 pm

I would pay money to see a dogfight with a Nazi themed BMW or Messerschmidt bubble car

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

I love Morgans. Everything about them is so theoretically wrong but they just seem to work.

I'd take an Aero 8 coupe but really I think the three wheeler is about the only one I could afford.

The best would be a Morgan on the outside with the retro-aviation art-deco look of a Spyker.

I think Spyker owns Saab now and if they can put one of these interiors in something with the price of a Saab I will move out of my apartment, buy one and just sit inside all day wearing goggles and a leather helmet.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

real cars have 4 wheels or more

Postby el3so » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

For that kinda money, you'd expect they'd put in some effort to not have it look like a soap box racer.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: real cars have 4 wheels or more

Postby BillyOblivion » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 pm

el3so wrote:For that kinda money, you'd expect they'd put in some effort to not have it look like a soap box racer.

I suspect you have the direction of causality either wrong or significantly truncated.

It's not that it looks like a soap box racer, it's that aesthetically it and the soap box racer share the same look. It's like complaining that a Kawasaki W650 looks like a Triumph T100. Yeah, they do. And for good reason.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun May 15, 2011 7:02 pm

In a fit of Middle Age, I have been talking to a dealer about getting one of these. To go with the hugely impractical theme, if I order one it will not be ready until January 2012, Nothing like getting a car that does not even have the option for a top in January. A thing that will nix the deal is if only one person can sit in it, I will need to have the option of putting someone else in the seat to tell me how cool / stupid I am.

The other one I was looking at is cool in a 180mph station-wagon-sort-of-way but $70,000 is a bit out of my price range, but I could go shopping with it and carry five people.

http://www.cadillac.com/ctsVWagon/2011/features-specs/
Kurt
In Manus Manus

buy American

Postby el3so » Mon May 16, 2011 12:06 am

Kurt wrote: I will need to have the option of putting someone else in the seat to ask me if "in NY" and "by truck" fit the criteria for random beheadings in places you do not expect there to be beheadings.

It had been a long time since I posted one of those "fixed that for you" thingies ;-)
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: buy American

Postby Kurt » Mon May 16, 2011 4:53 am

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote: I will need to have the option of putting someone else in the seat to ask me if "in NY" and "by truck" fit the criteria for random beheadings in places you do not expect there to be beheadings.

It had been a long time since I posted one of those "fixed that for you" thingies ;-)

Yes, that is a good one and I will have to seriously consider the risk of decapitation.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

I just placed an order for one. I can expect it sometime next summer.

I am in no rush, since I do not need a car at all.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 pm

I like that very much.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Wed May 18, 2011 3:17 am

Shoulda put the motor behind the grill, looks funny up front. Oil cooler and a fan would take care of the heat issue.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!