Kazakhstan - Xinjiang

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Kazakhstan - Xinjiang

Postby Tonne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 am

I've long wanted to check out the Southeast of Kasakhstan and China's Xinjiang province and it might actually work out this summer. Does anybody know if it's possible to cross from Kasakhstan into China by land?
Tonne

Re: Kazakhstan - Xinjiang

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm not sure about your crossing question (not sure why you couldn't), but if you do cross over there and through the Bei Mtns., maybe you can shine some light on a few of the funky google map areas over there. :-)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tonne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Thing is China can also be funky with their visa regulations - as I have painfully experienced myself a year ago. I just want to avoid standing at the border post and some dude saying: you should have flown directly to urumqi. Or they close the border down for whatever reason. I know there are always problems in Xinjiang, so it would be cool to find somebody who has done it maybe.
Tonne

Postby vagabond » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:29 pm

If memory serves me well, Fansy was in Kazakhstan for a bit. I think flip was in Xinjiang a few years back. Should be a few folks around.

Sadly, you might have to pop over to the Thorn Tree for more up-to-date info.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tonne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:34 pm

enter the sect of the little blue bibles poisoning the world... never ever haha
might have to do it this time though I guess. Thanks
Tonne

Postby Thomas.. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:08 am

I was in Almaty in 2007 and was initally planning to cross into China from there but eventually made the cross via Kyrgyzstan through the Torugart pass to Kashgar. If I dont remember it all wrong there was a train between Almaty and Urumqi, sounds pretty straight forward but do never underestimate the hassle chinese border guards can give you at remote border crossings. Be sure to have your papers in order.

Fansy was in Almaty at the time, dont remember if he ever went that way though.
-Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool-
Thomas..
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 am

Tonne wrote:enter the sect of the little blue bibles poisoning the world... never ever haha
might have to do it this time though I guess. Thanks

Yeah, sad, but they do have a sparse few that enjoy the same sort of travel as us and post up-to-date info.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

i never did it but i had a chinese friend there that just hopped on the train in Almaty and went to xiangjiang or whatever. for foreign nationals tho i dunno.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Omega » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Tonne wrote:Thing is China can also be funky with their visa regulations - as I have painfully experienced myself a year ago. I just want to avoid standing at the border post and some dude saying: you should have flown directly to urumqi. Or they close the border down for whatever reason. I know there are always problems in Xinjiang, so it would be cool to find somebody who has done it maybe.

Yes, most crossings are done via Kyrgyz Republic.
Omega
mach

Return to Black Flag Cafe