How to Choose a Tailor in New York City

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How to Choose a Tailor in New York City

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:09 am

Search here:
www.askandyaboutclothes.com

Selecting a tailor is like selecting mate--you need one that fits in with the way you do things. Some guys don't like to get deeply involved in the tailoring process and don't sweat the small details. They want a well fitting suit for business and formal wear and could give a shit about things like what color or fabric the linining is. One vent, dual vents, no vents they don't care. They get measured, go through the fittings on the first suit to get their preferences dialed in, then phone in their orders from time to time.

Others need more personal interaction from their tailor.

Some people have these filters in their brain that rate the fit and quality of a suit by the number of zeros on the check. Others have different criteria.

The biggest thing with Bangkok tailors (I've been told) is that sometimes the wool they use has never been on a real animal, or at least not for millions of years.

Someday I want to go to Hong Kong and get a suit made.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:03 pm

BillyOblivion wrote: to go to Hong Kong and get a suit made.

Don't forget to pick up a Rolex to wear with your new suit. If you pay more than USD $20 you are gettin ganked!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Virosa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm

So if you're dumber'n a box of mongoloid hammers and can't tell a $5k bespoke suit from a Sears $99 off-the-rack special, where's a good place to get all knowledge-ed up?

I speak for all the mongoloid hammers who have no voice of their own. Our time shall come, my bruthas.
Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The shit has hit the fan.
Virosa

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 am

Virosa wrote:So if you're dumber'n a box of mongoloid hammers and can't tell a $5k bespoke suit from a Sears $99 off-the-rack special, where's a good place to get all knowledge-ed up?

I speak for all the mongoloid hammers who have no voice of their own. Our time shall come, my bruthas.

One step that I did before I found my tailor (and after a bad experience with a previous one) was go to a men's clothing store with a general good reputation (known for not making or selling ugly clothes) and I found a nice homosexual salesman and said "I am totally clueless but I want a suit" (not those exact words). Now the reason I chose a homosexual was that it was just coincidence. I am sure straight salesmen can be just as knowlegable but it is not my experience that they are.

One reason I would prefer the homosexual is that they got their own culture and thing going...they do not want straight dudes to get in their way by looking gay, so the gay dude will make sure you look straight (unless you are gay, but then you would not be asking this question I bet). They have to do it because they know you got an identity as a heterosexual and you gotta keep and flaunt that identity ..they understand this, they respect it and they want it to be that way. Lots of timid straight dudes think all gay dudes want to turn them into poofters but you are more at risk of being pooftered by another straight guy or a woman who reads fashion magazines, they will not be able to tell what is the gay thing and just see a model and think "we gotta wear that".

The best one I hear from straight dudes is that wearing pink is gay. Never heard it from a gay dude in NYC. They are too busy not wearing pink and waiting for the new Cameros to come out to bother wearing pink clothing, for some reason that is a timid straight boy worry and not a comfortable gay man concern...that is why a homosexual in sales can help you not be clueless and make sure that you wear clothes that tell his friends "straight man ahead: Check out the guy with dirty khakis and olive anorak instead"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby BillyOblivion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 am

Virosa wrote:So if you're dumber'n a box of mongoloid hammers and can't tell a $5k bespoke suit from a Sears $99 off-the-rack special, where's a good place to get all knowledge-ed up?

www.askandyaboutclothes.com.

Yeah, I'm repeating myself.

Although if you're *dumb* nothing will help. If you're just ignorant that's a good place to start.

Or just go to Brooks Brothers and get a couple of their middle to high end suits. Go in on a Wednesday about 2/2-30 at a downtown location, and look for the oldest sales guy. He'll hook you up with a couple decent suits. If you have a Samuelsohn dealer in your area (http://www.samuelsohn.com/) they are technically better suits. HIckey Freeman is also well made, but tends a little towards trendy. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is how the suit fits--this is mostly what you're paying for with a made-to-measure or bespoke (aka "full custom") suit. Well, that and depending on the tailor the prestige.

The only people who will care about the difference between a Brooks Brothers/HIckey Freeman/Samuelsohn are the pricks who think wearing a 5k suit makes them special, and that's a VERY small number of people.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:11 pm

"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 am

The "Ask Andy" site is good. Lots of information there.

I find it better than Style Forum, where you can witness men get totally catty with one another about clothes. It is quite strange sometimes.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Kurt wrote:

One step that I did before I found my tailor (and after a bad experience with a previous one) was go to a men's clothing store with a general good reputation (known for not making or selling ugly clothes) and I found a nice homosexual salesman and said "I am totally clueless but I want a suit" (not those exact words). Now the reason I chose a homosexual was that it was just coincidence. I am sure straight salesmen can be just as knowlegable but it is not my experience that they are.

One reason I would prefer the homosexual is that they got their own culture and thing going...they do not want straight dudes to get in their way by looking gay, so the gay dude will make sure you look straight (unless you are gay, but then you would not be asking this question I bet). They have to do it because they know you got an identity as a heterosexual and you gotta keep and flaunt that identity ..they understand this, they respect it and they want it to be that way. Lots of timid straight dudes think all gay dudes want to turn them into poofters but you are more at risk of being pooftered by another straight guy or a woman who reads fashion magazines, they will not be able to tell what is the gay thing and just see a model and think "we gotta wear that".

The best one I hear from straight dudes is that wearing pink is gay. Never heard it from a gay dude in NYC. They are too busy not wearing pink and waiting for the new Cameros to come out to bother wearing pink clothing, for some reason that is a timid straight boy worry and not a comfortable gay man concern...that is why a homosexual in sales can help you not be clueless and make sure that you wear clothes that tell his friends "straight man ahead: Check out the guy with dirty khakis and olive anorak instead"

I gotta say, I came across as a total dick in this post and I would like to apologise. I thought I was being tongue-in-cheek clever while providing some useful advice but I was hiding the advice part with pure dickness. Sorry.

Find a helpful person who wants you as a long term customer. They are out there.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Fenrisco » Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 am

Styleforum and Bladeforums have a lot in common - different subjects, same weird Asperger's vibe. Ask Andy is much more pleasant, especially if you have slightly unconventional tastes/opinions. The Fedora Lounge is good for classic/retro stuff.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe