The Reagan Assassination Attempt

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

The Reagan Assassination Attempt

Postby Kurt » Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

I read a bit about it because it is featured in wikipedia today. The part I found interesting was how Jerry Parr, the Secret Service Agent most likely responsible for saving Reagan's life, was influence to become an agent after seeing Ronald Reagan's movie "Code Of The Secret Service" multiple times as a child.

So I read further, following links here and there. Inevitably I stumbled upon the Hinkley Junior story. Hinkley was inspired to shoot Reagan in an attempt to mimick Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver...which he also saw multiple times...and to impress Jodie Foster and become her equal in society because he would become famous like she was. So during this event we have two people influenced to eventual action by movies they saw when most impressionable. That alone is strange but it gets stranger.

What is not well known is that Taxi Driver was inspired by Arthur Bremer's diary (Published as The Assassins Diary) and the writer Paul Schrader used that book to craft the character of Travis Bickle. So we have an attempted assassin inspiring a movie character which inspired another attempted assassin.

And the person who foiled one assassination was inspired by another movie made specifically under government pressure for Hollywood to make up for its glamourization of criminals by portraying G-Men in a positive light, and that movie was made by the actor whose life was saved as president.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: The Reagan Assassination Attempt

Postby Caliban » Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I was similarly inspired in my career choice by Z cars, Whinnie the pooh's big adventure and Apocalypse now.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Kurt » Wed May 04, 2011 3:20 am

Caliban wrote:I was similarly inspired in my career choice by Z cars, Whinnie the pooh's big adventure and Apocalypse now.

I got a degree in Anthropology / Archaeology (combined at my school because it was a BA and not a BS) because of Indiana Jones. I was an archaeologist for a bit too in 1991. I guess the factor we were missing with inspiration was "crazy" and "desire to kill".

Oh yah, Parr had a bit of the crazy, he believed he was called by god to protect Reagan. That was why he liked his crappy movie so much as a kid. He is a fundy preacher now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat May 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I delved into Geology for a bit...the most ancient kind of history. Thankfully at the time there were few jobs in that field (early 80's)....otherwise I wouldn't have had such a tumultuous and insane life.

Reagan was a dinosaur. I studied him in paleontology.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri May 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I have a hard time remembering the reaction to the assassination attempt...I think it was mostly silence and disbelief....which is why I have trouble remembering. Was in Wisconsin at the time....fucking around in Milwaukee in a haze of booze and weed along with others who probably didn't give much of a shit. Ah,that's why I don't remember.
Sri Lanky

Postby flipflop » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Reagan took the .22 slug in his side under his arm, apparently when his bodyguards gave him the once over en route to hospital and found the entry wound (the bullet itself had lodged near his heart) he played it pretty cool and didn't want a fuss. When they got to the hospital entrance Reagan refused a trolley and wanted to walk into the ER, just like an old cowboy.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby kilroy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:50 am

nah, the alzheimers made him forget he was shot. by the time he got into the hospital he probably didn't even remember where he was.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 am

Reagan was indeed a great leader during that era ! A real Old west type of Old School Man . That knew how to defeat an enemy . Unlike the current Dear Leader who enjoys subverting the US from the inside ....
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 am

kilroy wrote:nah, the alzheimers made him forget he was shot. by the time he got into the hospital he probably didn't even remember where he was.

Best theory so far.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am

swordpoint9 wrote:Reagan was indeed a great leader during that era ! A real Old west type of Old School Man . That knew how to defeat an enemy . Unlike the current Dear Leader who enjoys subverting the US from the inside ....

He was also a HUAC snitch.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am

Which time has proven Him correct !
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 am

swordpoint9 wrote:Which time has proven Him correct !

That is debatable, but the time honored standard still applies. Snitches end up in stitches.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

No debate to it but Have a great Day .. Be safe
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby WillyBlues » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I always thought Brady got the worst of the deal. It was really the first assassination attempt caught in "real time" aka on TV, though I'm not sure if Fromm's attempt on Ford was caught on TV or if she got off a shot.

We have a very long history of presidential assassinations, it's a wonder people are continually shocked.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm

The President of the United States of 'Merica is clearly NOT the most powerful person in the world.
Sri Lanky

Next

Return to History