Recommend a very Rum

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Recommend a very Rum

Postby Kurt » Sat May 14, 2011 12:42 am

friendlyskies wrote:The best:

For mixed drinks, the Gran Reserva, aged 7 years, is usually fine - it's 10x better than any other rum on the general market. But 2:1 maybe the Centenario wouldn't be a waste.

They sell the 18 year old version of that in my local liquor store....The ghetto one not the good one.

At that very liquor store today a representative from "Sweet Bitch" ....uhh.."Winery" was there and gave me a free sample of their Merlot. I said "this is really sweet" and she said " 'es, Eet eez Sweet Beetch"

It was horrible stuff.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun May 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Booze Snobs = Gay

I bet I can take a 20 dollar Rum and a 500 dollar rum, put them in identical glasses and no one would be able to pick the expensive one

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Yep,rum and hookers....they are completely different animals.
Sri Lanky

Postby Kurt » Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Booze Snobs = Gay

I bet I can take a 20 dollar Rum and a 500 dollar rum, put them in identical glasses and no one would be able to pick the expensive one

~JITW

I could tell the difference very easy. The 20 dollar one would taste better.

The only reason a rum would be 500 bucks is the number of years it sat in some wood, that would give it the "refined" flavor that would be akin to drinking a fireplace.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 pm

There's nothing like the taste of fireplace in the morning...tastes like victory.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sparky » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 am

Try Cruzan. Simply outstanding

http://cruzanrum.com/main.aspx
Sparky

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:36 pm

So, Flipflop, tell me....

;-)))))))
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby zuluninja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I am from Puerto Rico, ergo, I am qualified to tell you that Bacardi is crap. I wouldn't use it even to clean a wound yeeeech (unless it's Bacardi Select or Añejo, those are acceptable)
Good cheap rum for mixing with pineapple - Don Q white

Best tasting? of course a matter of opinion, but I would say:
- Flor de Caña 21, 18 & 7 (Nicaragua). Brought a bottle of 18 back from Nicaragua in january only to have it fall from the customs x-ray belt. Almost cried.
- Zacapa 21 (Guatemala)
- Bacardi 8 (PR)
- Don Q Crystal (PR)

Flor's 21 & 18 and the Zacapa 21 might be hard to get, but the 7 years Flor is readily available. Bacardi has monstrous media backing, so the 8 shouldn't be hard to find; avoid the white rum like it's the plague. For cheap, easy to find rum (at least in Florida) that mixes great and tastes excellent, none can beat Don Q Crystal, 20$ gets you a big 1.75 lt bottle.
zuluninja

Postby Eiriksson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 am

zuluninja wrote:- Flor de Caña 21, 18 & 7 (Nicaragua). Brought a bottle of 18 back from Nicaragua in january only to have it fall from the customs x-ray belt. Almost cried.
- Zacapa 21 (Guatemala)
- Bacardi 8 (PR)
- Don Q Crystal (PR)

You can get Zacapa at fucking BevMo. Don Q. is better for mixing, and it's a nice price.
"What is true cannot be sad." ~ Esteban Montejo
Eiriksson
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 am

20$ gets you a big 1.75 lt bottle.

Shit dude, thats all you had do say!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby andy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Barbancourt Reserve de Domaine is my go to, but it is Cognac-like and made for sipping, and dry. for a sweeter style, for sipping or mixing, the older rums from Ron Zacapa are amazing. I swilled gallons of Ron Medellin Anejo during the months I spent in Colombia. Serious bang for your buck while you're there.
andy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dangermonkey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Go to Ministry of Rum ( http://www.ministryofrum.com ) for everything you ever wanted to know about just about any rum.
But yes , there is a lot of hype in the booze trade and a lot of value in brands you never heard of because they couldn't afford the advertising budget.
Also I run a site called Spirits Review-where i not only do an overall quality ranking but a separate value rating (which can at times be completely different) you don't have to pay a lot for good booze - and past a certain point it's only for the more money than sense crowd that want to show off to their equally shallow friends.
I put together some cheap but good booze lists on a site called bagcheck.com (look under spirits) - they also could use some gear advice if anyone gets bored and wants to give them a look. They have a lot of photography and computer stuff but kind of light on equipment ( rather than urban messenger bags and such).
"Hell is my Natural Habitat"
Dangermonkey

Postby RYP » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Sailor Jerry's has a chick in a grass skirt on it. Gives you something to look at while you drink yourself to death. All tastes like raiding your mom's cooking ingredient cabinet

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 am

RYP wrote:Sailor Jerry's has a chick in a grass skirt on it. Gives you something to look at while you drink yourself to death. All tastes like raiding your mom's cooking ingredient cabinet

I have it with orange juice in the morning, delicious.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby zuluninja » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 am

that ministry of rum site is pretty cool! I forgot about Ron del barrilito, quite inexpensive but may be hard to find, good aged stuff.
zuluninja

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe