Gear Design and Designers Wanted

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Gear Design and Designers Wanted

Postby RYP » Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 pm

DPx Gear is looking for exclusive gear ideas in the softgoods, hardgoods and app/tech area. The idea will be a buyout or a royalty deal depending on the business model. We currently have three brands: one focused on survival hard use, security/contractor and special operations/clandestine area. If you are an industrial designer with experience in the above we also want to talk to you. If you have an idea that has been rattling around in your heard from field experience it doesn't cost you anything to give it a shot.

Also any design or thematic concepts are welcome.

We engineer from the ground up and test in hostile environments, so no, we won't steal your idea and yes we only make cool simple, rugged stuff that others haven't thought of yet. We have already patented powdered water and inflatable pole dancers so take that off your list.

Send any emails to info@dpxgear.com and you will be shot back the usual Steven Spielberg legal form
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Gear Design and Designers Wanted

Postby Reflexred » Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Pretty cool to come across this post, while waiting for my H/F I actually drew up plans for a Tac Pen for DPX. I know there are quite a few options out there for these so I never really emailed you guys about it thinking you were probably already working on something or wouldnt be interested. If you think you might be, let me know and Ill email over a digital version.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby RYP » Thu May 26, 2011 4:20 pm

tac pens are now regularly removed at airports by TSA. So I use a Mont Blanc refill. But send it over.
RYP

Postby Jeffjuice3886 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Unfortunately I am not too great at designs [graphically translating into a computer based art program, etc - especially since nursing is my field lol, and plus due to my current state of health, my vision is a bit compromised], but if you did not receive some of the ideas I put out to Linda I will list them here.

There is a lot of growing popularity in "tricking/modding" knives now a days. And I think its even better when it comes from the actual makers of the knife because:
1. it would most likely fit better with the said unit its meant for.
2. it would most likely look better coupled with the said unit.

1. I think this may be the most obvious and probably brought up already, but two kinds of beads.
1a. A DPX/DPgear skull bead. I think you can use the one in the logo, hollow out the inside of the mouth, have the lanyard flow from the top of its hat [to take away the button on the top of the hat so everything is symmetrical/its not sticking out/another fine detail needed for manufacturing, so it makes it easier and look cleaner], all the way through, down to the mid/bottom of its jaw. That way you have the skull face, facing forward through whatever its strung with, and you can see the [I will use paracord as an example] paracord through the mouth. So say we use the current hest/f with the od green scale as the knife that you want to have the bead used on. And if you used pewter as a medium [of course you could also use titanium [regular, or blued/anodized, bronze, brass, sterling silver [albeit it would be quite expensive imo] ], and you could use a OD green lanyard to match the scale, and so when threaded, you could see the paracord color through the mouth of the skull. Its not a big deal, just a minor aesthetic thing I suppose. But those are some material you could use.

1b. The second type of bead I would suggest is something that looks like a ring/wedding ring etc. I find a lot of people use titanium as its base because of its ability to be flamed, lightweight + strong, can take other colors by anodizing. Not only this, but depending on the size you can have it made to be used as pace beads [albeit a little expensive, but perhaps you can sell singles, for those that like having a single round bead that fits paracords, or in a pack of X amount for pace beads, and could be made smaller/ or pre-made with para-cord choices etc.] If its like the first, where its more of a aesthetic bead, than a pace counting bead, You could also have file work done to put dpx, the skull, or other file work done on it.

2. A lot of knife users now a days like to mod their knives, and want to be different/want options. And one of the most common/sought after that I see is the handle scales. I think it is even more desired to be made by the makers of the knife, that way people know it will fit exactly to the knife without any issues in install, or fitting problems [ex having the scale be shorter, or wider than the underlying metal scale/frame]. I think you have already thought of this, so I am just putting it out there again. And having various g10 colors would be great. Such as black [or OD if people wear out their g10 or something occurs and they want a replacement], royal blue, safety orange, translucent g10/natural g11 [its a semi-translucent with a green/jade hue. Also called jade g10 sometimes], this may be a niche for groups such as the USN, but toxic green. Also you could provide scales with corrugations; this could provide, grip [perhaps slightly less weight, doubtfully any different], and a new look to the knife that people would enjoy.

2b. Another type of handle scale that a lot of people really love [but is more expensive, and may cater towards those who can afford it], is carbon fiber. There are two main types that are more appealing. [the third is just a smooth variant and doesn't provide much traction.] - The two would be
I. A weeve/twill varient [where the top layer of the knife has the fibers interweaving in a basketweave fashion. This provides a little bit more traction due to the ability to actually feel the interweaving of the carbon fiber = and looks really great imo].
II. A "peel ply" or g10-like carbon fiber. This is where the top layer of the carbon fiber is textured similarly to the g10. This provides great traction, the strength/lightness of the carbon fiber, as well as the "luxurious"sentiment that people associate with carbon fiber.
Jeffjuice3886

Postby Reflexred » Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 pm

i sent it over..let me know what you think.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby lmetrucking » Fri May 27, 2011 2:44 pm

How bout a high end DP flask? Mil-spec, of course.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lev » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Far and few between are good quality tactical belts. My thinking cap is on!
Lev

Postby RYP » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:14 am

yes they are too heavy, use generic hardware and use old materials
RYP

Postby Reflexred » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 am

Not interested in the design? Never heard back.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

LOL, you are making tactical gear?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RYP » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am

Redflex. been traveling. Website transferred servers. At Blade now...

James: Tactical Gear:

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=26401
RYP

Postby Reflexred » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

I know multi tools are kind of old news, but i know there are a lot of guys out there that still carry and use them on a daily basis. I was thinking that there could be some room in the market for one more if it had the DPX touch put on it. Just a thought.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Reflexred wrote:I know multi tools are kind of old news, but i know there are a lot of guys out there that still carry and use them on a daily basis. I was thinking that there could be some room in the market for one more if it had the DPX touch put on it. Just a thought.

nice idea

what would you put on it in regard to tools, etc.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Reflexred » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I dunno , i hadnt gotten that far, this was an idea that just popped into my head, but given DPX's propensity towards survival gear, maybe some sort of flat nano striker, pry bar, small punch for ar15 bolt carrier group cleaning, wire brush for gun cleaning in the field, just things that arent normally found on the generic leatherman.

I get the feeling what should be included on such a tool is one of those things everyone has a different opinion on. Maybe its modular to fit whatever you are going to be doing and DPX can sell add on's separately for different situations.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Maybe a cross between this and a Leatherman/Gerber multi-tool?

"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!