A different take on stopping power

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: A different take on stopping power

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:31 am

RYP wrote:he forgot the mention the obvious. Handguns were never meant to "stop" people. They were created as sporting weapons and then carried by officers who at best could use them for a coup de grace after a sloppy execution. Even the 9mm parabellum was a "humanitarian" round. If you want to stop someone you have to use either a) put an object with mass proportionate to their weight and velocity or b) sever the nerve or muscle system used to propel them or c) use the person's brain and motivation to change his initial plan (Stop...or I will shoot) of d) use an artificial method that includes both like a grenade. large shotgun blast or large office safe dropped from ten stories (the Wiley Coyote method).

But dicking around with semi automatic handguns as a way to stop a 200 lb person from attacking you...nope.

I would really like to see your source on this because AFAIK the pistol was primarily a weapon of war and/ore fighting. Rarely as a primary, but mostly as either a last ditch (Officers &&etc) or as the opening salvos of a boarding party. Calvary (in the US) also used them a bit as firing a pistol from the back of a horse was almost as accurate as a rifle. Well, from a moving horse.

However I'm willing to accept that I may have an ahistorical understanding.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 am

nowonmai wrote:Image

Not my words, Steven Seagull, he knows what he talkin bout

Someone needs to teach him how to shoot. He ain't going to hit shit jerking the trigger like that.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Pistols for war and 'ore fighting. Love a bit of 'ore fighting.

Pelton's source could double up as a tea towel holder but you wouldn't want to dry the dishes with it afterwards.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby praharin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Hitoru wrote:All I know is what I've witnessed.
6'3" 200+lbs fellow Cav Trooper shot point blank in the palm of the hand with a .45. It came out his elbow ,spinning him around 180* and that put him on the ground instantly. That pretty much took all the fight out of him for awhile.

All I know is I saw a 140 pound Iraqi man hit in the head with a 7.62x51 round, and he walked away on his own.

I'd be happy to share the rest of the story, but this is enough to make the point.

A sample size of (1) means absolutely nothing. Your anecdote is insignificant, statistically. The data is meaningless, because a single incident does not prove anything.
praharin

Postby flipflop » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:00 pm

praharin wrote:
I'd be happy to share the rest of the story, but this is enough to make the point..

Indulge us, we love a good yarn here on the Guns & weapons forum

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby praharin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Lead convoy vehicle engaged a vehicle speeding toward us in the dark with a M240B (only one in our battalion, the rest were 240Gs). About 7 rounds, IIRC, went through the hood windshield and roof. One of which hit him around the "crest" of his skull at an apparent shallow enough angle that it skimmed across his scalp without penetrating his skull. It looked like it actually curved around the skull, not just straight through the scalp. He was damn lucky, all things considered. He wasn't especially forthcoming with details about why he was out, or what he was doing, but we were told to release him, so we did at a nearby truck stop. Search of him and his vehicle found nothing, so we really had no idea what was going on... shrug. He lived to tell the story, a couple pints lighter for the night.

Short story, 7.62 to the head: 100% INeffective, in my experience. Although, the only sniper with us just (lol) had an M4 and an M107
praharin

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:43 am

praharin wrote:
Hitoru wrote:All I know is what I've witnessed.
6'3" 200+lbs fellow Cav Trooper shot point blank in the palm of the hand with a .45. It came out his elbow ,spinning him around 180* and that put him on the ground instantly. That pretty much took all the fight out of him for awhile.

All I know is I saw a 140 pound Iraqi man hit in the head with a 7.62x51 round, and he walked away on his own.

I'd be happy to share the rest of the story, but this is enough to make the point.

A sample size of (1) means absolutely nothing. Your anecdote is insignificant, statistically. The data is meaningless, because a single incident does not prove anything.

Yeah, your right. I also got hit by a 7.62 x 51 round in the the thigh. I was 19 & weighed 160 lbs and it hardly phased me.
Can I shoot you in the hand point blank as so it will come out your elbow and see if you remain standing ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Hitoru wrote:I was 19 & weighed 160 lbs

I'll bet there are days up in the tree you wished you weighed 160 again. :-)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:38 am

That's true but, depending how much I'm working I usually aint much over 170 and a lot stronger now .
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!