Jungle Gear Advice

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Jungle Gear Advice

Postby media » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Headed to the SE Asia area on assignment later this year. I will be in a rural border area and looking for gear advice. Having not spent any time in this area of the world I'd figure I'd ask here so I can buy the gear in the months prior rather than spend all that money at once.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Re: Jungle Gear Advice

Postby vagabond » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Might want to PM Swain or some of the other 4th Wall helpers to see what they found useful.

Any country specifically? How far from a medium-sized city would you be? Is it hard core jungle trekking or will you have support?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Big question. Need some specifics first.
The initial answer is to go cheap and light and upgrade as you need it. Airlines are hurting and they will hurt you in any way possible to make enough to keep them flying. TRAVEL LIGHT and avoid charges.

You will be surprised at how little you really need. One of my journo pals regularly keeps his cameraphone skills sharp with plenty of practice and his work is amazing. Funny how people don't think about that sort of simple stuff.

Batteries will be your biggest hassle, so think damn hard about having as little variety as possible to save you grief. Also remember that normal batteries in the US are super-fancy in other places. You don't want to have to spend a lot of time worrying about where you can recharge; and don't bet on your wheels even having something as rudimentary as a cig lighter to hope to recharge stuff with. Buy gear with that in mind.

You will be amazed at the variety of cheap and hard-wearing gear in most shops and bear this in mind because it might get nicked. Only take what you can afford to lose.

Moisture and shit will fuck it up. I see people showing off with their laptops, cameras etc in virtual sauna conditions and shortly afterwards I see them at the electronic shop complaining that it is kaput. You will be surprised at how quickly your toys degrade in those conditions. Bags, wraps and even duct tape will keep it alive a bit longer.

Make your first trip to a hardware store for the protective stuff that gets dunked in mud and concrete and chucked around like a kid's toy. You can get phones, cameras, llaptops, ights, radios, food and just about everything that a fashion victim electronics shop offers, but it is more hard wearing and often much cheaper.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Mikethehack wrote:TRAVEL LIGHT
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 am

Bring only what you need and cant get here. fancy jungle clothes, decent batteries, hot sauce, etc. Do not buy $70 mosquito nets, $300 jungle hammocks, sports sandals. Most of the kit you need for the jungle can be got here at a fraction of the cost and have hysterical misspellings you can use to amuse your friends back home. It's been a serious monsoon year so get boots with serious tread, bring lots of socks, forget the underwear. forget the air mattress. Depending on when exactly you arrive you may want a sleeping bag because it can get chilly in the hills. Headlamp x2. dont worry about malaria meds you can get them here cheap. Sat phone, bring it. Leave the pelican cases, get water proof bags for your spendy gear. Put your clothes in ziplocks. And bring me some real smokes! ;)
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 am

HockeyGuy wrote:Your electronics will thank you:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1500D-Pel ... B0018O035O

Yes, I keep all the dessicant packs from everything. The fancy ones you will need to put out in the sun every other day or so to dry out.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Don't forget the headband and the bowie knife. M-60s and AKs are optional in some places and mandatory in others. Please consult the nearest tourist office.

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 pm

You can't buy a thousand yard stare you gotta earn it cheesedick.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!