Recomended liquor

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Recomended liquor

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Some of the best Rakia and Slivovitz I ever had in the Balkans was the home-made stuff. I always found the Montenegrins made the best (and strongest) rakia but the Bulgarians made the best Slivovitz..which they called Slivova Rakia.

Worth finding is Krushera Rakia (pear Brandy) in Bulgaria. I have not had it in years and I miss it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Dangermonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Michelle,
There is a National Gin (Genever ) Museum in Hasselt Belgium.
While the gift shop doesn't sell T shirts, pens, magnets or all the usual crap, they do have a few hundred different Belgian Genevers at the bar with a few free tastings as part of the admission price.
A few photos here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spiritsrev ... 344111440/
And if you get to Amsterdam I have a number of friends in the bar and distilling trade there and can give you some people to look up.
Check out my adventures (in alcohol) page here http://www.spiritsreview.com/adventures.htm - got some Amsterdam and some more Belgian adventures there among others.
"Hell is my Natural Habitat"
Dangermonkey

Postby kilroy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm

rakia, ugh. i probably just haven't had any good stuff, but i got to sample from the bulgarians' stashes while i was working in alaska. tasted like everclear and fucked me up just as fast.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Lev wrote:Image

I have fond memories of being given shots of this by very large men with AK47s in Bosnia in the mid 90s. Though the home made hootch that every household seemed to produce, looked nothing like this refined brew.

Lev

the clear homemade slipintheditch from Croatia was brewed in old 45 gal drums and sometimes had a oily rainbow sheen on top. mmm instant vomit reflex.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:55 am

have had the displeasure of rakia homebrew in croatia & bosnia, and palinka in hungary. not my cup of tea. but they will jump start a kerosene burner for you if needed.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:57 am

AztecDave wrote:have had the displeasure of rakia homebrew in croatia & bosnia, and palinka in hungary. not my cup of tea. but they will jump start a kerosene burner for you if needed.

Drinking local hooch is all part of the fun no matter how foul it tastes.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby diamondcutter13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 am

AztecDave wrote:have had the displeasure of rakia homebrew in croatia & bosnia, and palinka in hungary. not my cup of tea. but they will jump start a kerosene burner for you if needed.

A friend I shared time with in Croatia with gave me a bottle of slivo that was just not getting drank. Just for yucks we filled up a mountain stove with it and it worked fine.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 pm

When I was in Bulgaria and Romania the best Rakia, Palinka, and Tuica was made by farmers. I am trying to get one of our resident Romanians, Johnnyfishfinger, to hit his grandfather up for recipes and techniques in making the stuff so he can make some and give it to us when we are in London.

I am slippery like that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe