Best Used 4WDs?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Best Used 4WDs?

Postby Dabbi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Tacos wrote:pretty easy to roll that thing though

most of the weight is in the chasis, drivetrain and motor ;)

usually these trucks can go further than most drivers are willing to go
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 pm

This was mine. And it was really no big shakes, as far as Samurais go.

1990 Suzuki Samurai: Curb Weight: 2125 lbs.

1997 LR Defender D-90: Curb Weight: 3913 lbs.

The Defender's curb weight is 84% higher than that of the Samurai.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby stinkyspice » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 am

fj80 toyota land cruiser hands down... they are just bullet proof.. i had one once that ran for a year without gear oil and it still was running fine... amazing!!
stinkyspice

Postby vantard » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 am

Had a 1960 Austin Gipsy SWB, that was reliable. Vandalised and set on fire in Liverpool and jumped up and down on in a riot in London so it didn't look it's best but never let me down. Shattered a rear stub axle one night, so shifted it into front wheel drive and left it there for a year. When I moved house I left it in a field for a couple of years or so and the engine seized, dropped the sump tapped the pistons and drove it on for a few more years...
vantard

Postby travelman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:06 pm

travelman

Postby nowonmai » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 pm

travelman wrote:Image

I thought you were going to say "I don't use 4WDs".

Anyway, your picture doesn't work, cheesedick.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby travelman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Quel désastre! And now I have le pénis du fromage. A stinky cheese no doubt.

Does this one work?
travelman

Postby ochunter375 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 pm

I like the toyota FJ62 land cruiser with and Old Man Emu suspension. Parts can be hard to find. JITW is right about the jeep.
ochunter375

Postby swordpoint9 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:58 pm

travelman wrote:Quel désastre! And now I have le pénis du fromage. A stinky cheese no doubt.

Does this one work?

Beetles are great parts are everywhere ! I do Love the Hilux they are low profile enough to skirt through Iraq / Afghanistan or Indonesia . I haven't Been able to find one in the States .. I also like the VW Iltis when I was stationed in Germany in the 80's !
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby jcshinobi1973 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 am

Land rovers are nice if you have the scratch.
I have been using my wrangler since 92. It has 229,736 miles on the odometer. Running the four cylinder. It's all about learning to drive what you have.
It's been to Canada, North Anerica, Japan, Bahrain, Southern Europe and Central America. I've only invested an additional $5245.00 into it for items that don't come stock on land rovers or jeeps, like winch, dual battery, Jerry cans, extra lighting and dedicated electronics (2 way, cb and GPS) plus a few others. Still running the original drivetrain except tires.
jcshinobi1973
mach

Best Used 4WDs

Postby russlits » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Behringer Super Fuzz

even though the input jack got fucked up almost immediately
russlits

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:53 am

I have only owned three proper 4x4s and have abused all of them in various off-road settings across West Africa, Madagascar and now here in Tunisia:

1) Land Rover SWB Series III (1974 - 2.25L petrol)

Incredibly reliable but slow. Got us all the way from London to Liberia down the west coast of Africa without a single breakdown, including some pretty epic off-road sections through Guinea and Sierra Leone. Very sad to let that one go!

2) Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (1994 - 3.0L petrol)

Put this beast on a ship from Southampton to Madagascar a few years ago, and drove it all over the big island. Despite being the most comfortable 4x4 I have ever owned, it was plagued by reliability issues. In particular, it couldn't idle properly and would rev uncontrollably for no reason. Spent ages trying to fix it but never quite worked out the underlying issue.

3) Mitsubishi L200 (2006 - 2.4L diesel)

Bought her here in Tunisia and have since modified her to add: hard canopy, secondary electrical system, long-range fuel tank. Am also in the process of adding new Old Man Emu suspension. She's a beast, and has already clocked up thousands of kilometers exploring the country, with only one minor electrical issue just after I bought her.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:11 pm

By any chance did you see the most recent The Grand Tour in Madagascar?

The plot is they go to Madagascar to find Pirate treasure from Reunion Fr. (In the Indian ocean). My god, I have seen bad roads before but I have to admit that RN5 in Madagascar (a main highway) was beyond bad.

The plot is that they fly to Reunion to look for pirate treasure since that is where some French pirate was hanged. Reunion has nice EU roads, so they brought a AWD Bentley, an AWD Ford Focus ST, and a Cateram (Lotus 7 type) to cruise around the nice Reunion hwy that circles the island on a causeway so rocks do not fall to the road. Then it turns out the pirate likely buried the treasure in Madagascar so they modify their cars for "off road".

Wont give much up other than that. It still pales to the Top Gear show they did but worth watching for the bad roads and Madagascar.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Haven't seen it but I'm intrigued! Will check it out! Yes, the RN5 and most other roads in Madagascar are a disaster. Snapped my suspension strut rod on one trip east from Antananarivo!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Haven't seen it but I'm intrigued! Will check it out! Yes, the RN5 and most other roads in Madagascar are a disaster. Snapped my suspension strut rod on one trip east from Antananarivo!

These were embedded boulders they were driving over. One "lane". The closest thing I have seen to that bad was Rt 3 in Haiti from Hinche to Cap Hatien (Google maps now mercifully claims the the worst part of the road no longer exists, but I suspect tap-taps still tip over on it all the time)

It is very rare that a show makes me nervous out of sympathy, but that show did it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!