.22 LR Conversion kit for Sig P226

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

.22 LR Conversion kit for Sig P226

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 am

Looks like I will be purchasing a gun here in Thailand or to be precise my wife will be. I am ordering a Sig P226 and am thinking of getting the .22LR conversion kit for it. Anyone have experience with these kits. They are made by Sig so I am sure the craftsmanship is top notch, but curious about the performance and feel.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Re: .22 LR Conversion kit for Sig P226

Postby Woodsman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:Looks like I will be purchasing a gun here in Thailand or to be precise my wife will be. I am ordering a Sig P226 and am thinking of getting the .22LR conversion kit for it. Anyone have experience with these kits. They are made by Sig so I am sure the craftsmanship is top notch, but curious about the performance and feel.

I have one for the Glock and I really enjoy shooting it. As for the sig, I'm thinking it would be just like the 9mm or .40, only with less recoil. Probably essentially just like the sig mosquito.

.22lr is my favorite cartridge for many reasons. It can kill anything. That being said, I don't think I would rely on it stopping a charging cape buffalo.

I would highly recommend getting a conversion kit.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jefe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:22 am

To spend money on a SIG and reconfigure it to a .22 is retarded. Like buying a BMW (PS: their manufacturing standards have dropped radically the last couple years IMO) turning it into a Pinto.

If you want a .22 buy one straight up. You would save alot of money. .
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:48 am

Jefe wrote:To spend money on a SIG and reconfigure it to a .22 is retarded. Like buying a BMW (PS: their manufacturing standards have dropped radically the last couple years IMO) turning it into a Pinto.

The .22 conversion kit is for the wife to learn to shoot and the 9mm slide is for me. And the reviews on Sig's conversion kit are rock solid.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby suwon fish » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

.22 conversion will pay for itself in no time flat.

I've only put a few hundred rounds through a P226 versus many thousands of rounds through a high power but the Sig was clearly the better weapon. Go for it bro.

My question? Can farangs/barangs (Cambodia) legally own a weapon?

I'm going to retire in Cambodia in a few years and would like an on-ticket pistol. Yes, I know off ticket is easy to buy...
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:50 pm

suwon fish wrote:.22 conversion will pay for itself in no time flat.

I've only put a few hundred rounds through a P226 versus many thousands of rounds through a high power but the Sig was clearly the better weapon. Go for it bro.

My question? Can farangs/barangs (Cambodia) legally own a weapon?

I'm going to retire in Cambodia in a few years and would like an on-ticket pistol. Yes, I know off ticket is easy to buy...

I have no idea about foreigners legally owning guns in Cambodia, but in Thailand my wife can own the gun and I already shoot with the border police regularly, they have no problem with me bringing it to their range. But if its 100% legal for me to do that I have no idea. Like most Thai laws regarding falang its open to a fair amount of interpretation. The thing that surprised me is the cost of ammo is identical to buying it at the range in the US. It's not exactly cheap but its not prohibitively expensive either.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Jefe wrote:To spend money on a SIG and reconfigure it to a .22 is retarded. Like buying a BMW (PS: their manufacturing standards have dropped radically the last couple years IMO) turning it into a Pinto.

BMW quality, Sig quality, or both?

I want one for my Glock because most of the time I go to the range, someone else is shooting my Ruger MkIII. It's the competition model, so I'd rather shoot it, but I can still have a lot of fun with a .22 conversion kit for my Glock and not break the bank on range ammo. Then again, at nearly $300 for the Advantage Arms kit, maybe I should just buy another .22. Hmmm....
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Chimborazo wrote:

BMW quality, Sig quality, or both?

I want one for my Glock because most of the time I go to the range, someone else is shooting my Ruger MkIII. It's the competition model, so I'd rather shoot it, but I can still have a lot of fun with a .22 conversion kit for my Glock and not break the bank on range ammo. Then again, at nearly $300 for the Advantage Arms kit, maybe I should just buy another .22. Hmmm....

I have one for the sole reason that I like the idea of having a modular platform.

But you and Jefe are on to something: it will cost just as much if not more for a conversion kit compared to a regular gun.

A buckmark will easily outshoot my AA conversion kit, particularly with a scope mounted, which you can do with a bucky but cannot do with my Glock. However, it's a pain to holster a scoped pistol, and the precision with the AA is minute of grouse via iron sights - plus the light weight is good for hiking and such.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 am

Also I have to pay Thai prices for guns and that is a good 30%-40% more in most cases than in the states. So the conversion kit is a slightly cheaper alternative. But in a perfect world (USA!) where you can get a .22 for the cost of a large happy meal it makes perfect sense. And who doesn't want another gun?
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:And who doesn't want another gun?

Me.

Well that is not entirely true, but if I had the "right" 3 guns, I wouldn't bother with another one the rest of my life.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!