little more to the left in this country

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

little more to the left in this country

Postby cowboycraig » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Think we need to move a little more to the left in this country, then return to center. Just don't think Obama is evil like many on the Right are screaming. But given that, I don't think the government as a whole represents the people in any way these days. Only way to really be the America we think we are is to vote on EVERYTHING local and national. And the populous vote wins. Our representative government is setup to ensure the "will of the people" is known but metered.

CC
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Re: little more to the left in this country

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Buddy moved to the Knoxville, KY area a couple years back...they voted out all the incumbents. The area is flourishing now...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby lok8 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I have no faith what so ever in the reasoning skills of our populace. Not that our Republic system is perfect, I just feel that the lobbyists will get more bang for their buck by only having to throw a bone to us little people in the form of obfuscation and manipulative marketing.
Stay behind. don't follow.
lok8
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Knoxville is flourishing? Compared to what, Lenoir City?

Seriously though, give some credit where credit is due. ORNL, TVA, Lockheed-Martin, SAIC, and all those government/defense things have gotten a lot more funding the past few years, largely thanks to the wars. Prices for metals are going up, and there's even a manufacturing sector (rare for the USA) that's keeping things going. TennCare makes it possible for small businesses to hire workers part-time, freelance, and under-the-table without worrying about health issues, which has made it possible for at least one of my friend's restaurants to survive. Certainly, getting rid of the Jesus freaks probably helped, but there's a lot more going on. Plus, East Tennessee just didn't have as far to fall as wealthier areas of the USA during the economic collapse.

But it's still really fucking tough. Everyone I know seems to have their houses underwater, people can't find work, pillbillies everywhere sucking up public money and/or driving other people on their insurance plan's costs up, it's not exactly the land of grits and honey. And one thing that's been really hurting people is the penchant for giant, gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs. Those were difficult-to-maintain status symbols before gas prices went through the roof, now they are like parasites feeding off the blood of children. Sure, you can buy calories with extreme couponing, but nutrition? And there's no fucking public transport, which is insane in a state as poor and rural as Tennessee. Sure, there's Greyhound, but that doesn't help workers who commute from Clinton or to Oak Ridge every fucking day. That last bit really pisses me off.... if they made one less nuclear weapon per year, they could use that money to create a comprehensive bus system covering every pipshit little town in East Tennessee. But noooooooooooooooooo..........
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby cowboycraig » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:49 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Knoxville is flourishing? Compared to what, Lenoir City?

Seriously though, give some credit where credit is due. ORNL, TVA, Lockheed-Martin, SAIC, and all those government/defense things have gotten a lot more funding the past few years, largely thanks to the wars. Prices for metals are going up, and there's even a manufacturing sector (rare for the USA) that's keeping things going. TennCare makes it possible for small businesses to hire workers part-time, freelance, and under-the-table without worrying about health issues, which has made it possible for at least one of my friend's restaurants to survive. Certainly, getting rid of the Jesus freaks probably helped, but there's a lot more going on. Plus, East Tennessee just didn't have as far to fall as wealthier areas of the USA during the economic collapse.

But it's still really fucking tough. Everyone I know seems to have their houses underwater, people can't find work, pillbillies everywhere sucking up public money and/or driving other people on their insurance plan's costs up, it's not exactly the land of grits and honey. And one thing that's been really hurting people is the penchant for giant, gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs. Those were difficult-to-maintain status symbols before gas prices went through the roof, now they are like parasites feeding off the blood of children. Sure, you can buy calories with extreme couponing, but nutrition? And there's no fucking public transport, which is insane in a state as poor and rural as Tennessee. Sure, there's Greyhound, but that doesn't help workers who commute from Clinton or to Oak Ridge every fucking day. That last bit really pisses me off.... if they made one less nuclear weapon per year, they could use that money to create a comprehensive bus system covering every pipshit little town in East Tennessee. But noooooooooooooooooo..........

Feel bad for people in "pipshit" places. Everyone I know isn't doing to well there. But in west coast cities life is much better. I am in Seattle, and other than housing stalling life is about the same. My advice for anyone is "get to a city". But I know that isn't going to happen. The difference between rural america and cities is so extreme.

CC
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe