HEST Folder 2.0

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: HEST Folder 2.0

Postby The Tourist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 am

The first day with the 2.0 as an EDC is over, and the knife worked well for its intended use--that being a jackknife. All too often folks look for edged tool recommendation in TK or Soldier of Fiction and we forget we need something to cut with.

Knives work at my house, or get sold off as used demos. They have to cut and slice in the real world, not with my face whored up in cammo grease-paint while wading ashore. We forget that the most common knife in use this time of year is the Buck 110, and the most popular knife in Vietnam by actual sales figures was the SAK.

My 2.0 got to do mundane chores today. After adjusting the pivot so the blade could be easily thumbed open with no lateral wobble, it rode with me all day, but never used. Then the knife was used to cut off lose threads from washing our dogs' kennel beds. My wife had opened the mail already, so the 2.0 got washed in scalding hot soapy water and towel dried--no lubricant to the pivot.

In was then used to dice fruit (on a plastic cutting board) for supper. Then dunked back into the soapy water, and dried, again no libricant.

Except for that problematic first 3/8s inch by the ricasso, the rest of the edge will grab you fingerprints. About an inch back from the tip as the belly curves that 'grab' is less pronounced. Probably from hitting the cutting board.

Like I said, mundane. That's life as an EDC. We will see how the knife progresses until tactilely dull. That's 'tactile,' not tactical. I don't believe in that premise. Even a wet brick is tactical. I need a jackknife.
The Tourist
You are the weakest link – Goodbye

Postby The Tourist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 am

Things were a bit more interesting today. I wanted a salad for dinner, so I figured that was an 'everyday' chore. The 2.0 sliced everything cleanly, stayed sharp and washed up easily in a sink full of dishes.

The Tourist

Postby Hitoru » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 am

This has to be the lamest weapons post ever.

So pathetic.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby The Tourist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Hitoru wrote:This has to be the lamest weapons post ever. So pathetic.

I don't think so. The 2.0 clearly isn't a weapon. Oh, it can be used for a weapon, same as a pool cue or a wet brick. But I don't think this thing is a primary weapon. It's a jackknife.

I will admit this. I hear your concerns all of the time. Many times a client wants (or thinks he wants) a "fighting knife." I don't know why, but we are way too invested in 'tactical knives.' For what? I cannot even think of an incident in my entire life where two guy go at it in a real-deal The West Side Story duel with folding knives. Clients just like to think they might, all romantic fluff.

I need hard-use knives. If I thought there was even a miniscule chance I'd be attacked I'd take a handgun.

The HEST series (and I've owned all of them) are good knives to carry when you don't really know what you're going to cut. I'm testing mine that way. I've cut a lot of mundane crap with mine. I *assume* that's the way it will live its entire life.

But if some super-secret black-bag shadow special ops paid mercenary assassin IHOP night shift fry cook jumps out of an alley driven by the lust of our jackboot central government, yeah, I guess I could stab him.
The Tourist

Postby Hitoru » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 pm

The Tourist wrote:

I will admit this. I hear your concerns all of the time. My concern is you are boring us to death Martha. Don't you have some cooking forum somewhere you can show of your slicing and dicing . Faux crab and lettuce, give us a break.

I need hard-use knives. Post something remotely hard use then.

I've cut a lot of mundane crap with mine. I *assume* that's the way it will live its entire life. Then don't bother to share your mundane chores with us Martha.

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Gab124 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey great. My knives cut from paper, cardboard and a multitude of food stuffs as well. Real world stuff as you pointed out. I was actually apprehensive of getting the knive because it looked so much like a tactical toy, but figured in the end it should be durable and that is a plus for me. Mine finally has the "shipped" status so I will find out soon. While I have been waiting for it I purchased a Spyderco Sage series knife. I will say this, as an EDC, the hest better be great to even come close to pushing the Spyderco out of my pocket. Now, IF I were jumped by a mob of super-secret black-bag shadow special ops paid mercenary assassin IHOP night shift fry cooks I might need the hest, who knows!

The Tourist wrote:

I don't think so. The 2.0 clearly isn't a weapon. Oh, it can be used for a weapon, same as a pool cue or a wet brick. But I don't think this thing is a primary weapon. It's a jackknife.

I will admit this. I hear your concerns all of the time. Many times a client wants (or thinks he wants) a "fighting knife." I don't know why, but we are way too invested in 'tactical knives.' For what? I cannot even think of an incident in my entire life where two guy go at it in a real-deal The West Side Story duel with folding knives. Clients just like to think they might, all romantic fluff.

I need hard-use knives. If I thought there was even a miniscule chance I'd be attacked I'd take a handgun.

The HEST series (and I've owned all of them) are good knives to carry when you don't really know what you're going to cut. I'm testing mine that way. I've cut a lot of mundane crap with mine. I *assume* that's the way it will live its entire life.

But if some super-secret black-bag shadow special ops paid mercenary assassin IHOP night shift fry cook jumps out of an alley driven by the lust of our jackboot central government, yeah, I guess I could stab him.
Gab124

Postby coldharvest » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 pm

your vagina is showing.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby The Tourist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Gab124 wrote:My knives cut from paper, cardboard and a multitude of food stuffs as well. Real world stuff as you pointed out.

I agree. I don't think the idea of "real world" even dawns on the tactikewl crowd. They don't even know what tactical means, which BTW, means achieving an immediate or long-term goal. Heck, that means my underwear is tactical.

I also like the Spyderco line. I gave a Spyderco Native III to a woman who was deployed last year, it's all I had in my pocket at that moment and she was out the door. When she got back I asked about performance, and she responded, "Oh, we all used it."

It turns out her unit/squad/rifle company or whatever they call it now had no practical knives for daily chores. Evidently in all of Afghanistan no one had a nice little knife. Fortunately that model is made from VG-10 and my edge held up enough...

My favorite knife is the ZT0551. The HEST 2.0 is close enough to provide the services I need and want. It's a great jackknife, however, I do have to send RYP the pictures I took while polishing the edge. He is going to chew me out but good!

BTW, between you and me, be prepared to be branded a heretic. I don't think there are such things as tactical knives. The HEST 2.0 is a very good knife. I personally like CPM-D2. Over the past few days I use it for every chore I face. And it has worked. I will carry it as my sole EDC for the next month.

To denigrate this knife by labeling it as a tactical knife is an insult to RYP. I have been servicing the knives of real-deal soldiers for over ten years plus. They need nice knives. Most of these tools come back with gravy stains, not blood, and knives like the HEST 2.0 would be greatly appreciated and enhance their lives.
The Tourist

Postby Gab124 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 pm

The Tourist wrote:
Gab124 wrote:My knives cut from paper, cardboard and a multitude of food stuffs as well. Real world stuff as you pointed out.

BTW, between you and me, be prepared to be branded a heretic. I don't think there are such things as tactical knives. The HEST 2.0 is a very good knife. I personally like CPM-D2. Over the past few days I use it for every chore I face. And it has worked. I will carry it as my sole EDC for the next month.

Heretic you say? I don't mind. I only joined this forum to learn more about the blade. Most of my time is spent in bushcraft sites learning about living off and with the land. This knife looked to be substantial enough to cover those chores that I normally do with a fixed blade bushcraft knife like a puukko. Which, BTW, is rarely ever more than a 3" cutting edge. I spent time in the tropics with some native tribes (I do tropical conservation work) who could do more with an old rock sharpened machete and a very small slicing blade than most of us could with our whole collection. Their entire life is as tactical as it gets. I was taken blow dart hunting by one of the elders who brought more food home for his family with essentially long sharpened toothpicks than I have ever seen anyone do with a rifle. Can change the way one looks at the world. Those folks don't suffer from small penis syndrome which is a serious public health hazard in this country sometimes.
Bright Moments,
Gab124

Postby Hitoru » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 am

It ain't a story without no pictures now.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby The Tourist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 am

Gab124 wrote:Heretic you say? I don't mind. I only joined this forum to learn more about the blade.

Glad to hear it. My feeling is that anyone who uses the term 'tactical' is just a chairborne ranger. Here's an example.

I was reading "Knives Illustrated" today. In the November 2011 addition, turn to page 58. There's an article by Clint Thompson on 'tactical' tomahawks. Supposedly, every black-bag operative uses one these for those daily, in exciting skirmishes with shadowy assassins. Hey, everyone knows that. All of the spec-ops guys carry them. Even in the shower.

Well, well. The author, a vet, interviews an insider, discussing who is issued a tomahawk, equipment of the LRRPs, the supposed "Vietnam" tomahawk, and the raft of 'hawks now offered for sale.

Neither guy ever carried one in combat. Neither guy saw one in combat. No spec-ops troops are issued any--along with most other edged tools.

In other words, if you brag about your daring-do splinting a VC's melon with a 'hawk, you're a liar.

Not unusual. I was never a soldier, but I am a club member. For five years--almost nightly--we met in the lower east side's toughest bars. We all carried Buck 110s, along with every other blue-collar stiff. At any given night there might be more than two dozen knives jammed into the place.

So in five years, with all of those testosterone filled young turks, fueled by alcohol and showing off to the babes, how many knife fights were there?

None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Literally, that stuff is the fluff of posers.

Now to 'tactical' knives. You need a keen ol' bowie about as much as you need a backpack nuclear device. You need a well made jackknife. Easy to carry, simple in design, well made and of the best materials. You'll open a lot of mail, UPS boxes, trim a lot of thread, and yes, make a salad. Like everyone else does in the real world.

Heretics, welcome aboard.
The Tourist

Postby Hitoru » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:32 am

I have had twenty six sutures from being slashed by knives during two separate altercations. Look close enough in some of 19 D 20's pics and you might see them.

Don't worry or be mistaken, my chainsaw scars are not visible in any of them.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby The Tourist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 am

And I broke my neck in five places bouncing off a windshield in 1987. Oddball incidents happen.

But to suggest that singular events justify the entire sham we purvey about knife fighting is unconscionable. Knife fighting is rare, always has been rare, and most likely now seen only in Dungeons & Dragons.

The army doesn't even issue knives, and they ought to know.

BTW, I polish my edges in a unique way. Years ago I told my wife that with advances in edged studies by police departments I expected to be contacted about one of my knives used in a crime. After all, during one period, I worked at a Gander Mountain outlet and sharpened every knife that walked in the door for for four years.

No cop ever showed. And I asked. I sharpen for area officers--city, county, local and EMS.

Knife fighting is not an issue, or even a statistic and frankly in terms of numbers it is a flat out urban legend.
The Tourist

Postby Hitoru » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:56 am

No, no knife fighting is non-existent. I would nnnnnnever slash someone with a knife .

My point is this is not "Knives Illustrated" here.
Post something interesting or worth knowing.
RUB.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby The Tourist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:02 am

Okay. Flat out, a knife is a tool. We denigrate the discussion by always tying the object with crimes and violence. There probably have been more lives saved with edged tools than taken. And that's just with scalpels alone.

Soldiers, law enforcement, and even bikers don't see knife fights. So how is it that every well-heeled knife collector has his 'queen safe' loaded with bowies, 'fighters' and 'weapons' not seen or issued for real combat?

Hey, one reason, and one reason alone. There's big money in selling fantasy knives to chairborne rangers.
The Tourist

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!