Hybrid bike recommendations

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Hybrid bike recommendations

Postby AztecDave » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 am

Am too old for a damn mtn bike now. This is the next best, or worst thing. Any recommendations?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Hybrid bike recommendations

Postby gnaruki » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 am

Depends on your local bike shops and what you want to do with the bike. Cruise the local shops and list off the brands the shop with the best staff carries. You might want to check out cyclocross bikes too. Great on the streets and can handle some offroad.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 pm

AztecDave wrote:Am too old for a damn mtn bike now. This is the next best, or worst thing. Any recommendations?

If you already have a mountain bike you can convert it to a more comfortable upright riding position by putting on a different riser, stem and handlebars.

I've had the same bicycle since 1996 (well, I've bought and had stolen other bikes in that time, but this was my primary), and in that time it's gone from a negative angled stem with flat bars to a riser stem with riser bars, and then to some specialized touring bars that are REALLY comfortable, but don't work as well offroad.

Of course, I then bought myself a mountain bike with a flat bar and a flat stem to ride off road, because I refuse to accept that I'm not 25 any more.

IMO most "hybrid" (renamed "comfort" bikes) are just low-middle range to crap components stuck on something that doesn't look quite as delicate as a road bike, but not as tough as a mountain bike. If you've already got one it makes more sense to make it work for you. If you don't it really depends on how much you will be riding.

Cheap components aren't worth it.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I recommend a 3 wheeled one with enough room for 3 passengers.

But really, you are never to old for a mountian bike. Get one. Ride it like ya stole it.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Mountain Bike with Shocks Great Move !
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby travelman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:11 pm

I agree with Mr Rickshaw. Unless you are so old you can no longer balance on a bicycle, you can still ride one.
travelman

Postby thewalrus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 am

it depends what you're trying to do. if it's just for paved street use, go for a flatbar road bike...

basically, it's like a proper roadbike, but with flat bars (ala mountain bike), 10s trigger shifters, and tire clearance for 700c 28mm width tires vs 23mm on a proper road bike.

thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby SandSquid » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I am a 40mumblesomething year old, and have spent the better part of the past decade years living on various dung-heaps around the world, mostly desert environments. though I have 6 cycles in my stable I have one that is purpose built as the "deployment bike". I have ridden it in 8 Countries on 4 Continents and it has evolved into something ideally suited for nearly every eventuality, except for climbing really steep grades.

First consideration is always dependability, you want something that will not fail (break, wear out, or become fouled) when you are 1,000Km from the nearest bike shop, or stock of repair parts. or locally sourced repair parts will fit.

To that end a "single speed" is key. Forget the fancy derailleur and shifting mechanisms, they will get bent and broken and quickly foul with dust, dirt, mud and goat-dung. they add weight and lets face it most FOB's are pretty flat so you will spend 90% of your time in one gear ratio anyway.

The 29" wheel is the boss. It provides great flotation over the sandy, soft, muddy, gravel, etc terrain. and really it is nothing more than a voluminous 700c tire anyway. Pump it up for pavement riding, air down a bit for off road.

Mechanical disc brakes, last forever and have amazing stopping power, which is appreciated when an MRAP driver decides since he is bigger he is not going to yield your right of way. it also removed the wear from your rims, and the rubber pads are not going to disintegrate at high summer temperatures or on some long descent. I've tried them all and I would with the Avid BB-7. dead-reliable, easy to adjust, and inexpensive.

While a front shock is nice for comfort, but it adds lots of weight and fork seals will eventually leak, even a Marzocchi. The voume of the 29"er tire takes out a lot of the "harshness" of the rigid fork, so skip it, IMO.

There are many rides that fit the "rigid 29" single speed disc bike" out there, let your purse lead you to what you can afford.

This is what my bike looks like while bashing about the wilds of Afghanistan.
Surly_sm.jpg
Surly_sm.jpg (218.7 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Last edited by SandSquid on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandSquid

Postby SandSquid » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

And for cruising around the FOB, or the neighborhood back home:
LIGHTS!
lights.jpg
lights.jpg (243.14 KiB) Viewed 8119 times

Bar and helmet mounted.
SandSquid

Postby SandSquid » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

And don't forget the rear rack, something detachable and weather resistant would be good.

This is "how I roll" in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Djibouti, and several other countries I cannot mention.
(All pictures were taken at an outstation in Afghanistan)

FOBkit.jpg
FOBkit.jpg (225.67 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
SandSquid

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!