Boots, pack for East Africa

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Boots, pack for East Africa

Postby nowonmai » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 pm

JHanson wrote:Wait until you hit Kenya, then buy a pair of Bata desert boots. The stores are everywhere. Similar to the old Clark's boots but about $20. They're all you need for most bush use there, and you'll immediately look like a local. No ankle support, but cool and reasonably thornproof (I've never had much problem with thorns in my shoes in East Africa anyway).

The Courtney boots are nice - I reviewed them some time ago - but the same shoes cost about $40 in Zimbabwe. Westley Richards is pocketing a bit of a markup there.

Looks like an opportunity - if enough people want a pair then we can fund a trip for JFF (he's got plenty of spare time) to go on a buying holiday with a large holdall. Is there such an offence as shoe smuggling? If there is then we'll have to use teams of Siamese twins who we'll send in barefoot.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:19 pm

the Bata boots, or the basic version of Palladium canvas boots. I wore a pair there in early 80s. Lite and comfy.

http://www.palladiumboots.com/cgi-bin/p ... =02352:261

skip the pimped out gucci versions - unless you're cruising up and down the Champs.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I prefer: http://www.vasque.com/mens-hiking-boots
I've had mine on 4 continents! Actually very reasonable priced and lightweight/comfortable. Frye? are you kidding me? Leave em at home, unless you are going to Oklahoma.

When it comes to a pack, it all depends on what you are hauling.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 am

Curious: I know that the high-top boots help support ankles but when does one really need that much support? What sort of terrain? I've only worn low-top type shoes (in forest, rocky areas, and the desert) not to mention sport sandals so just wondering when and where it'd be more beneficial to wear the sort of boots y'all are showing.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 pm

the old school army leather desert boots that you don't want are actually the best for the desert. Buy a bit larger. Don't buy anything with Goretex or foam insulation.

Other choice is the old fashioned canvas running shoe (Keds, Vans, Chuck T's)
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JOHN O » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:56 pm

vagabond wrote:Curious: I know that the high-top boots help support ankles but when does one really need that much support? What sort of terrain? I've only worn low-top type shoes (in forest, rocky areas, and the desert) not to mention sport sandals so just wondering when and where it'd be more beneficial to wear the sort of boots y'all are showing.

High tops are'nt that important until you snap the bones in your leg just above the ankle, I definately go for ankle support now.

Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 am

JOHN O wrote:
vagabond wrote:Curious: I know that the high-top boots help support ankles but when does one really need that much support? What sort of terrain? I've only worn low-top type shoes (in forest, rocky areas, and the desert) not to mention sport sandals so just wondering when and where it'd be more beneficial to wear the sort of boots y'all are showing.

High tops are'nt that important until you snap the bones in your leg just above the ankle, I definately go for ankle support now.

Duly noted.

That actually you? If so, hope everything mended ok.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah, that's me.
I healed up better than expected and can still push myself up and over rough country but I'm not as good as I used to be. A 16 mile day kicks my ass.
Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm

JOHN O wrote:Yeah, that's me.
I healed up better than expected and can still push myself up and over rough country but I'm not as good as I used to be. A 16 mile day kicks my ass.

If it makes you feel better, I get winded walking from my desk to the fridge.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!