Cambodia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Cambodia

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Any info appreciated. Thank you.
Where to stay in Phnom Penh especially.
Anyone know how it is there these days?
Sri Lanky

Re: Cambodia

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:21 am

I stay at the Capitol, a cheap dive. Happy pizza on the river is nice.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:23 am

I like dives.
..and I've heard of this Happy pizza. For me,however,it might end up being more like Sleepy pizzzzzzzzzzzzzza.
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:37 am

Ankor Wat is an obvious must. Lots to see in the capital too. Temples and the like. Lotsa whores about so you will never be bored.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:47 am

Oh goodie.
How are the bars in general?
Relatively safe or fucked up?
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:08 am

Its been a while since I was last there. Apparently the Heart of Darkness is dangerous and full of gangsters. I saw hos and gangster wannabes. The FCC is the place to pop into for a drink but only if ya gotta take a shit. Grossly overpriced but the cleanest shitters in all SE Asia. Nice view of the river though. Lots of riverside places to eat and drink. Local places off Monivong. Motorbike taxis are cheap. Sharky Bar is the place you want to go if its still there.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:22 am

I'd pretty much agree with what Rickshaw said. But keep in mind that, like Thailand, Cambodia has severe flooding issues now & since their infrastructure is pretty much nill alot of the help they're getting is from the private sector. I reckon it will be hip deep in water for a while....just like parts of Thailand...
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

heart of darkness the bar? it sucked when i was there. that was like 5 years ago so maybe it's different now.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby recon1991 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 pm

The Red Piano in Siem Reap is a must!
recon1991

Postby nowonmai » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Whatever you do, don't go in the Chocolate Starfish, stick to the Blo Mi Ho.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 am

You'll love Cambodia. The crumbling French colonial buildings blended with the crumbling Khmer architecture is unique and beautiful. The longer you stay the more you'll fall in love...

My favorite hotel was the Frog and Parrot on riverside, but Steve recently went bust and now runs Whisky Guesthouse in Snookyville. I'll miss that place.

Tuel Sleng (S-21) and the National Museum should cover all the cultural bases for you. Wat Phnom is good for daytime photo ops.

The Foreign Corespondents Club (FCC) is a must if only once. It's expensive and the regulars are asshole NGO types, but the place is a legend.

The Russian Market. Bustling and colourful. They don't ream tourists like most other markets and they've got all the trinkets you'll ever need.

Mekong boat trip to the gypsy village. Nice day out.

Sharkys bar. A legend.

Heart of Darkness, fucking wild on a good night.

The Walkabout. I stayed here for a week in their super deluxe "Jacuzzi room". It's a fucking dive! You will marvel that so many working girls can fit into one bar ^^

Martinis (you need to get a tuk tuk to get there). You will marvel that so many working girls can fit into one bar ^^

Pontoon. A floating nightclub on the Tonle Sap/Mekong. Note: check it's not gay night!

Basically, the "action" is around Walkabout and some side streets on riverside. You'll have no trouble finding it!

I stayed at a great hotel (if you like cheap) in Snookyville. I can't remember the name but if you go to the bottom of Victory Hill, turn right at the Corner Bar (Corner Bar is great), it's about 20 metres on your left. It also houses the J Bar where you can learn to play Mexico with Johnny.

If you walk down to the beach from here you'll find a million dollar Russian nightclub/bar/restraunt called airport. it looks like an airport and has an actual airplane in it!

If you like danger, you can flirt with the wives of billionaire Russian gangsters who sun themselves there during the day. They're easy on the eyes ^^

While in Snooky, check out the abandoned train station and follow the tracks awhile. Interesting.

Check in with Rob who runs Coasters for the low down on all things Cambo.

All drugs are easily available. Yamma (same same Thai Yabba) will fuck you up. Avoid. THERE IS NO COCAINE IN CAMBODIA. You will be sold pure heroin instead. Even experienced junkies die weekly in Cambo from this. It is very easy to overdose as it's really cheap and 100% pure.

Weed is available anywhere/everywhere. Cheap.

There was an extreme sport practiced by some expats while I was there. Go to Wat Phnom at 1 or 2 in the morning. You will get mugged. Fight your way out, go back to the bar and brag about it ^^

I could write a book on Cambodia. I love the place.

Finally, just this. Cambodia can be very dangerous. Be alert all the time.
Last edited by suwon fish on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 am

Check the forum here for the latest news...

www.khmer440.com
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Weed is available anywhere/everywhere. Cheap.

just make sure you let your tout know you're looking for good stuff. mine tried to give me some skankweed the first time, got much better quality after expressing my disappointment with the country's agricultural practices. must have hurt his national pride or something, got way better shit the next time.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Athena » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:38 pm

In March went back for the first time in ten years, but this time just flew straight into Siem Reap. We mixed it up and did a 3-star and a 5-star experience with hotels and both were fantastic. For minding your pennies or if you want something with local charm, I highly recommend the Angkor Pearl for clean, comfortable digs away from street noise.

If you can get away from any colonialist guilt then the Raffles Grand is the place to be. Seriously, The Grand D'Angkor had the best service I've ever experienced anywhere in my whole life. While relaxing by the pool a minion appeared with a cool mister of some herbal concoction and iced beverage, before I'd even realized I might be in want of a thing. That was my favorite of the dozen times they anticipated and delivered on a whim I hadn’t yet dreamt up.

Siem Reap is still a dusty, hectic mess. Danger can be found, but it's not around every corner any more. There are TONS and TONS more women working in the sex trades than a decade ago. More pubs and restaurants. Fewer children and amputees begging. The undercurrents, if you talk to locals, are still pretty intense.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Just jump in a cab and say "I dont want to pay more than 20 bucks a night"

Then head to an expat bar that night for better suggestions

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus