Jacket and boots

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Jacket and boots

Postby diamondcutter13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:05 pm

JITW wrote:If you will be wearing kit under your jacket then I have one one suggestion: The Drop Zone Recce Smock

My Review Here: http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2011/04/1 ... cce-smock/

I wear this fucker every day here in Iraq - it is the best jacket I have ever owned, they are all handmade and solid as a mo-fucker

~JITW

Totally agree about praise of the recce smock, I love mine and wear it with a gore-tex stealth suit jacket and an insulating layer (fleece or puffy jacket) under until it gets ignorant cold. A great jacket but not wind or water proof enough for a wet Afghan winter I find unless you add a weather proof layer.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 am

Cotton is instant death in wet and cold conditions, that jacket is made from cotton nylon or something like that, hardwearing but utter crap when you get wet
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 am

for boots i'm sold on Lowa. none more comfortable and long lasting. And i have tried out mucho different boots.
w/out gtx i recommend :
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=8&Type=M

the gortex version:
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=3&Type=m

for jackets i like my TAD ranger hoodie. Is well made and very versatile. wore in for 4 days in a snowstorm in RC E. warm and dry the whole time. but you pay for it.
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Appare ... ger-Hoodie

these are pricey but you get what you pay for.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Dabbi wrote:Cotton is instant death in wet and cold conditions, that jacket is made from cotton nylon or something like that, hardwearing but utter crap when you get wet

Thus the gore-tex liner recommended if needed. I would question the "instant death" here I'm wearing one of these smocks daily in Afghanistan where the original poster is asking about and I've worn it through a wet middle east winter too. Its pretty awesome.

I'm going to assume the original poster is not coming here for the Afghan snowboard scene. People buying working clothes for AStan may want to consider something that does not melt to your skin in a vehicle fire, maybe its not an issue. You'll find many military and contractors therefore wearing stuff that is flame resistant and that usually means cotton blend clothing. Is there many recorded incidents of contractors in AStan freezing to death? Nope. Burning alive in a greasy melting mess? Yup. Skin is waterproof but it doesn't hold up so good to fire.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:56 pm

diamondcutter13 wrote:
thewalrus wrote:Mammut/Raichle boots (Swiss):
http://www.mammut.ch/footwear.html

I got about a year and a half into the Mammut boots that were sold through MEC. Fantastic boots that I have worn in temps down to -10 deg C. Good support, firm soles and shank without being crazy stiff like a full on mountain boot. Decent price too.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/BackpackingBoots/Mens/PRD~5018-356/mammut-kootenay-5-backpacking-boots-mens.jsp

I had a pair very similar to that which were being sold as the REI house brand boots for $110. Wore them out and found that REI was no longer carrying them. Not as light as the $300 hiking boots but at a hundred bucks you can wear them out in shit conditions and not fret about it. Boots such as that are really invaluable to me in urban areas with open sewers and mud/drainage problems (Kabul!).
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 pm

diamondcutter13 wrote:
JITW wrote:If you will be wearing kit under your jacket then I have one one suggestion: The Drop Zone Recce Smock

I wear this fucker every day here in Iraq - it is the best jacket I have ever owned, they are all handmade and solid as a mo-fucker

~JITW

Totally agree about praise of the recce smock, I love mine and wear it with a gore-tex stealth suit jacket and an insulating layer (fleece or puffy jacket) under until it gets ignorant cold. A great jacket but not wind or water proof enough for a wet Afghan winter I find unless you add a weather proof layer.

Yep - and the guys who run DZ are a great group of guys that could have gone the Chinese Sweatshop route but stuck to their roost sewing in Canada

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:28 pm

~JITW

Interesting.
Finding gear which is good for extremes is tricky. I take it you can add an inner fleece?

My preference is Fjallraven. They are good for all climates. I have used their gear to death in many climates. Not cheap, but if you are on the road for literally years at a time and only pack a minimum of clothing, then you can't go wrong with Fjallraven. I got by on two or three pairs of trousers, same in shirts, a jacket and a couple of fleeces for very long stretches. East to clean (dries quickly) and very hard wearing, with lots of pockets for gear.

I use the older version of this:
http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equip ... ite-jacket
It has detachable sleeves, ditto the hood and mine has something like 25 pockets. It's a ridiculous amount, I know, but I prefer to save what is left of my back by spreading the weight across my body.

I haven't tried this one, but it looks good too:
http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equip ... ntt-jacket
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby khalampre » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:51 am

Thank you all very much. Lots of very good leads!
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

not sure what you're doing, but some of the stuff may be overkill? if you'll be in the field for weeks at a time, by all means, go all out. if you'll be indoors or stationary 90% of the time, then definitely overkill.

was in astan last year / early this year - winter. was out in the field, but never more than 3-4 days at a time, but honestly, standard gear is about 95% effective - you will be paying hundreds of dollars to go that extra 2-3%. . . ebay, old friends, and military surplus stores can become your friend. i've gotten by with chinese rip offs of tactical gear bought on ebay for iraq - back when it was still crazy and i was a field grunt.

for jackets - it's important to layer. 3 layers if its cold - thermal underwear (nomex if you want to spend the money), a liner (i like fleece) or the classic old army jacket liner that's comfortable as hell, and then your actual jacket - which should be water resistant. if you're lounging about, i really like those buffalo jackets we were once isued. really thick, textury fleece.

for boots - i'd recommend something with gortex, especially if you will periodically walk through slushy snow. don't forget the socks too. definitely recommend you actually try your boots on vs. order online, and bring the socks you intend to wear when you try them on.

i don't know - just me being frugal I guess, but I have several years worth of crap I accumulated from my gear queer days that i'm slowly starting to give away . . . besides, you'll have regular access to PXs, stores, and of course mail (i'm assuming), so you can always get something the moment you realize you're short on an item
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 am

I am told that I will have to sleep outdoors from time to time. I with be with a NATO led group, but I have my doubts as to how often I will get to be near a PX. We shall see. I should be headed out in a bit over a month.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:12 am

Jacket & boots

Prost
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:08 am

Do you keep reading the subject as jack boots too?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:47 am

Ja, mein Obergruppenfuhrer

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 pm

No such thing as a 'fascist dress sense.' It is now called S&M dress sense.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!