WWII Canadian Airborne, silk maps

This Forum is to discuss History and to annoy Fansy and Nowonmai by existing at all.

WWII Canadian Airborne, silk maps

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:28 pm

If anyone ever comes across an original silk E&E map issued to the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion when they were dropped in Normandy on D-Day in 1944 I would really appreciate a heads up, I am an amateur historian on WWII - European Theatre, and though I am not a collector, as a Survey Technician I love plans an maps and have always wanted this particular item (it may or may not actually be silk, a lot of the E&E maps of the time were made of rayon though it will feel like silk) my contact is: Please send me a PM

BTW: just registered, nice to meet you all :)
Last edited by Dr. V on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited by V to take out e-mail address
"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor" ~English Proverb

~Cruiser~
Orillia,Ontario
www.CanadianBackyard.com
Cruiser

Re: WWII Canadian Airborne, silk maps

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Cruiser wrote:If anyone ever comes across an original silk E&E map issued to the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion when they were dropped in Normandy on D-Day in 1944 I would really appreciate a heads up, I am an amateur historian on WWII - European Theatre, and though I am not a collector, as a Survey Technician I love plans an maps and have always wanted this particular item (it may or may not actually be silk, a lot of the E&E maps of the time were made of rayon though it will feel like silk) my contact is Cruiser@CanadianBackyard.com

BTW: just registered, nice to meet you all :)

Welcome to the board and good luck on your map hunt.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, I was going to add to my post that the E&E Silk Map the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion had was likely the same as those issue to the British 6th Airborne Division (Almost 8,000 paratroopers), as they were attached to it and dropped on the Left Flank behind Sword Beach, I would also be interested in the US issue E&E silk map handed out to the American 101st, and 82nd Airborne Divisions (Over 15,000 paratroopers) who were dropped behind Utah Beach on the Right Flank, which are likely easier to find. I have no idea where I may come across one other than eBay, but eBay is notorious for fake items and I don't trust it too much, hell I just posted in the gear section on the thread about the fake HEST knives made in china being sold by a guy in Windsor Ontario on eBay.
"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor" ~English Proverb

~Cruiser~
Orillia,Ontario
www.CanadianBackyard.com
Cruiser

Postby AztecDave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 am

ebay?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm

I have a silk map of France dated 1953 for aircrew use - in case they got shot down by the Russkis come the day.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm

If its Canadian Airborne militaria you want, contact Bill Dixon in Edmonton, AB. He'll likely find it for you if it's available.

Here's his EBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Tailgunner-Militaria

Bill is shooting a massive documentary on the Canadian Airborne, here's the website:
http://www.paratroopers.ca/

We got cloth escape maps made in 2001 before going to Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne. One of our NCOs was an absolute nutbar about escape and evasion kits and these were made crudely but small enough to pass for a label sewn into your combat shirt. An amusing souvenir, hope its worth something in 60 years.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

WWII Canadian Airborne silk maps

Postby russlits » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks for that - your comments have all been incredibly valuable. Well on the way to finding this chap now.

JennyM
russlits

Return to History