GPS advice

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

GPS advice

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:53 am

If money was no option and you wanted the best handheld GPS ont the market what would you go with?
Stan- "These nerds are a threat to our way of life Betty."
Betty- "If they win the homecoming carnival they can take over the greek council."
Stan- "Yeah, then we'll be up to our necks in nerd shit!"
Dutchy
BFCus Regularus

air,land,sea,city use? shockproof? wet proof? battery life?

Postby mach1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:46 am

Well why take a Hummer when a Jeep will do, hey?

I m not in the market for one but

the iFind at Lowrances look worthy of further examination

http://www.lowrance.com/outdoor/default.asp

to me

-- --- -- - ---
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Review Of Romeo's Personal Choice For Auto Gps

Postby Romeo247 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:43 am

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2660/#

forgive me if this is the wrong one im hella tired... but the one im thinking of requires no access to a pc.... all maps etc are i guess loading inside... im not 100% certain if u mean for a car or hunting or what the heck so forgive me if im way wrong....

I have the older version of this and its incredile it tells u when to turn in her sexxy but demanding voice lol...including the number of feet.. i dont like the fact i can only get so much info in per card size.....

tells you ur speed eta... everything but where to find a good hooker... maybe next years model..... it has off road option too but not sure how that works... if your a trucker... it can route you around weigh stations and all kinds of outstanding goodies.... also battery operated incase you loose auto power...

it does faster time or shorter distance.... all kinds of incrediable things including setting way points and optimizing the route accordingly

food, gas, lodging in an instant and if u go way off route she will bring you back on track no matter how much u try and upset her she wont yell... she wont turn u down later at night...

So in short those saving for that wedding ring forget it... pull out!!! and get that deposit money back and get a woman who will love you no matter how fast or etc u drive.....

and most important she will go in ANY Car you own and she never bitches

lol... J.k.

Ciao

Rome
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:59 am

I was thinking about Garmin too.
Betty- "If they win the homecoming carnival they can take over the greek council."
Dutchy
BFCus Regularus

Garmin Etrex Vista C

Postby Arctic » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:03 am

That's pretty much top of the line, I think. Picked one up a couple of months back. It's an impressive bit of gear, I'll tell you that. I'm no expert, but I decided to go overkill with this to avoid it becoming obsolete in 6 months.

The annoying part (but I assume this is general to all GPS units, not sure) is your dependence on Garmin's maps... there are no maps for Egypt, for example, or for a number of other countries. But if you're talking first world or the gulf, etc (check out their list of maps) you're covered.

Powerful unit. Color screen too, so easier to see in daylight. Compass (even when standing still) and altitude and speed, bearing, tracking, routing, trip calculator, etc. Hell it'll tell you when the moon and sun rise, and show you the various phases of the moon throughout the year.

Works on AAs, and isn't too wasteful in terms of battery life. Pretty user friendly too.

If money is no issue, I guess that's your best bet.

Arctic
Arctic
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dutchy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:03 am

Does it have maps for Aisa?
Dutchy
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:40 am

is there a site that lists the maps available for the Garmin models?
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Garmin maps

Postby Arctic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:51 pm

Yeah guys, their website has a whole cartography section here:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

I was kinda pissed. Unit caused me about $400, and a Middle East map CD costs $500. But I checked online and figured out it doesn't even include Egypt. Sheesh.

That said, I don't regret buying the unit. It's real slick. Proximity alerts and everything.

Incidentally... a little late in the day on my part, Dawn, but I hope you're feeling better now.

Arctic
Arctic
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lotus7Productions » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:21 pm

Has anyone used a Magellan? What is the best GPS unit for world travel that is under $300?
Lotus7Productions
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:30 am

Thanks for the link Arctic and yes I am feeling a bit better, but I am still on IV antibiotics which I thought I would be off of three days ago. But bone infections are hard to treat so I just have to take it easy, rest and let the meds do their work.
But hey thanks for the get well...I am actually sort of pleased in a personal way that this accident happened cause it is giving me some time to really plan some interesting ventures for when I do get well.
Thanks for the concern though.
Aloha and peace,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hayduke » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:20 pm

I posted a GPS query on the main board earlier this year. I was shocked to find out that the Garmin units continue to suck the life out of it's batteries even after the unit is turned off. Just thought I'd pass this along . Later kids.
Hayduke
BFCus Regularus

Postby Romeo247 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:40 am

They have world maps... he who knows the newsgroups can find these in abundace... just fyi... i will NOT reply to this :-)
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

GPSMAP 60CS

Postby svizzerams » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:52 pm

I just bought this model...haven't had a chance to play with it much. But I got a great deal on it from Amazon. Over $500+ on Garmin website & REI. About $380 on Amazon.

I chose this one because it had a built in altimeter/compass. And its in color.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/

GPSMAP 60CS features:

Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still

Barometric sensor with automatic pressure trend recording

Sunlight-readable display with 256-color transreflective TFT display (1.5" W x 2.2" H; 2.6" diagonally); color operating system with new look-and-feel

Faster processor, with auto routing, turn-by-turn directions, and audio alerts along city streets or trails when using MapSource® City Select® or 24K Topo software (optional software)

56 MB of internal memory for storing map detail
Permanent user data storage

Each day’s best hunting and fishing times—along with sunrise/sunset times—on the integrated Outdoor Calendar

Special geocaching navigation mode

Geolocation games, such as Virtual Maze, Nibbons, Geko™ Smak, Memory Race, and Gekoids

Fast map transfer, with support for both USB and serial port interfaces

Detailed basemap with general map data, including highways, major roads, river, lakes, and borders

Dedicated "mark", "page", "enter", "quit", "menu", "find", and "zoom out/in" buttons; four-position rocker pad

2.4" x 6.1" x 1.3" (W x H x D) unit dimensions

Weighs 5.4 ounces (without batteries), 7.5 ounces (with batteries)

WAAS GPS receiver with accuracy to 10 feet in North America; built-in quad-helix antenna for better satellite reception

20 hours of battery life under typical-use conditions (uses two "AA" batteries)

Multi-platform navigation for easy navigation in a car, in a boat, or on foot
Accepts data from MapSource products (City Select for driving, U.S. Topo and 24K Topo for hiking, Recreation Lakes for freshwater, and BlueChart® for saltwater applications)

Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)

50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points with TracBack® technology

(navigate to any track point on the displayed map), and 1000 waypoints with additional graphical icons for location identification Proximity alerts for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint;

built-in alarm clock

User-configurable track-line color, waypoint projection, display color scheme, large-numbers option, audio tones, and pages (turn on/off main pages or change the sequence in which they appear)

Elevation computer provides current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum and maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate

Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby db36046 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:27 pm

I've been using a Garmin for a number of years, currently just the fairly basic Etrex Legend. Not too fancy, but if you lose it in the field you aren't out a whole bunch, either.
A few years ago, I was using a Garmin (older model, I forget which one) in a small plane and discovered that at speeds above 100MPH it was not able to track our speed. Something to do with the refresh rate not being fast enough; I think the rate was once per second at that time. A friend who had a Magellan on the same flight had no trouble. I don't know if Garmin has fixed this problem or not.
One improvement I would like for my next one is a jack to plug in an external antenna for those times the tree cover etc. is too thick for use inside the vehicle.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:15 am

I use raytheon on my boat. My stuff is about 3 yeras old and needs some updating but has worked well for me. I think they have their own division raymarine now.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!