Rossi Circuit Judge

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Rossi Circuit Judge

Postby Vincent » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Purchased a new Rossi Circuit Judge this past weekend. Coming weekend I will be testing it out at the range. Any tips, experience?

Pretty cool little gun, chambers .410 shot, .410 slugs and 45 COlt in a 5 round revolver chamber.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Re: Rossi Circuit Judge

Postby JITW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Vincent wrote: Any tips, experience?

Don't use the Brass Cased .410 shells or you will need a screwdriver, hammer and needle nosed pliers to get the rounds out*

*Advice is based on my Thunder 5, I am guessing the Judge is a higher quality revolver but better safe than sorry

~JITW
Last edited by JITW on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Vincent » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for the tip James. Much appreciated.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm

And check out American Specialty Ammo for the Nasty Stuff for the .410

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/_410.html

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Vincent » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for that web-site James - looks like a lot of fun.

Went out and fired the gun this weekend. It was really enjoyable, but the weapon is not particularly accurate. The other drawback is that the ammo is pretty expensive, but like I said, it was fun to shoot. I shot .410 slugs and .45 LC ammo through it and the next step is to try out .410 shot.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:14 am

I only bought a .410 revolver for the neat factor, but i cant figure a practical reason for its use

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 pm

JITW wrote:I only bought a .410 revolver for the neat factor, but i cant figure a practical reason for its use

~JITW

Apparently they are very good for killing snakes.

But, I think if I found myself in a place where I needed a special gun to kill snakes I would have many, many other problems to worry about.

If I was shipwrecked here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_da_Queimada_Grande

a .410 revolver would probably be the best gun to have. But this island has killed every long term mammalian inhabitant because of the dense population of very venomous snakes.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUmOaaZW1E

Pretty nice looking rifle. That seems like a gun with a broad diversity of uses.

.45 colt would work great out of it - you can load that cartridge right up there close to .44 magnum power - and certainly it would have more than a .44 coming out of a barrel that long - no problem for deer or even bear (hand loaded hard cast recommended).

I was at Sheel's sporting goods in Fargo the week before last and saw one of those circuit judges. They had a big display there for that gun. I didn't really look at it much, because I was really looking for something else (that they didn't have).

Have you gotten into reloading yet?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Vincent » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Woodsman:

It is a very good looking gun, and I was just shooting for fun the one time I took it out last weekend. I'm going to get serious one of these nights and go to the range to zero it in and really test its accuracy.

I did fire some .45 LC through it and it fires great. I've read a bunch of message boards about reloading rounds for this and they recommend strongly against overloading because the barrel is really more like a shotgun barrel than a rifle barrel, which kind of gets to your other question - no, I shamefully have not gotten into reloading yet. In fact, in about 15 minutes I'm probably leaving for the store to check out a reloading book, because I want to get into it.

Like the guy in your video said, it's a great trail gun, which is what i bought it for. I'd love to try for short range deer hunting, but I am reluctant, because it felt like an awfully light load.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 pm

I'd look to Buffalo Bore for serious pre-loaded rounds. They are within SAAMI tolerance, and I've tested them through my chrono - they are the real deal.

They are kind of pricey, but give you a clear idea of just what kind of power that round is capable of. :)

Just a tip if you start looking at reloading info: There is no need to have a bench-mounted reloading press - The lee hand press is my favorite - very good quality and very inexpensive. I used to have an RCBS kit that came with a bench-mounted press. I have since sold that and gone with a hand press - it fits in a small tupperwear bin for compact travel anywhere and reloading can be done at any time. Kitchen table or desk suffice!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!