Electric sanders

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Electric sanders

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I am refinishing my computer rack at home (an old kitchen island with a wood butchers block) so I borrowed a friend of mine's power sander so I could blow through the coffee stains and spilled olive oil before I stain it.

Man, these things kick up so much sawdust that 24 hours after my last sanding session I still have dust floating in the air here.

Its a plain old Black & Decker and after this task there will not be any more power sanding, but anything dust free for me to consider just in case would be appreciated.

Any tips?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Electric sanders

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

There's not much you can do now Kurt.

The three options you "had" were. Take the table outside and sand, get a sander with a bag, but it doesn't always consume the dusk or take it a to a stripper. They are quite economical.

The only thing I can think of is to have a fan blowing in the direction to a window or moisten up the wood. Have an extremely dark stain...providing you got to the bare wood.

There maybe some new fangled product that you can buy at Home Depot...to bring out the stain.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Such is the way of wood working. Sawdust.

The hand sanding will kick out a ton of particulate stuff, also.

Where are you doing this work ? Inside/Outside, temperature, etc.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:31 am

A plane could do the trick to get rid of most of the dust then you just have to lightly sand it to get a even finish
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 am

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:Such is the way of wood working. Sawdust.

The hand sanding will kick out a ton of particulate stuff, also.

Where are you doing this work ? Inside/Outside, temperature, etc.

Kitchen. In a NYC apartment on the third flood.

Not too much of an option for outside and it would have been rude to do it out in the hall.

Dabbi is right, I thought of a plane in the middle of sanding.

Days later and fine dust is still falling on my black tv. I've been dusting it everyday so I can check and see how long my mistake endures.

The plus side is I am totally prepared for indoor staining and varnishing. I have a set up right next to my window with a fan blowing all the fumes out and have poly 3 mil layed over everything that can be splashed. I just thought I would mention that so no one thinks I am completely incompetent.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:46 am

It's a dirty job. Buzz and I were assisting Swain with his bar last year and I was the designated board holder while Swain tore a strip off them. I definitely took the brunt but I think Swain got a good snootful. Try doing this outside with 100 degree heat and 99% humidity. That dust became a permanent part of my skin and clothing.
Sri Lanky

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I have yet to use a sander with a bag that worked worth a shit. Better than nothing, but not much.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby pmgaido » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I have this problem. Woodworking in confined space. I run a shop vac constantly. Take the attachment off the hose and then postition the hose as close the surface being sanded as possible. Sucks up a suprising amount of the airborn dust.
pmgaido

Postby JITW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 am

Dude, did you really not know power sanding inside an apartment would be messy?

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:24 am

HockeyGuy wrote:There's not much you can do now Kurt. take it a to a stripper. They are quite economical.

I read stripper and started to go off course.

I use a Dewalt five inch orbit palm sander with a bag for some stuff around here. There is a huge difference with the bag attached compared to my older non bag sander.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:17 am

make a blocked off area with sheets and lamp stands or plastic sheeting. It won't be perfect but it will keep the collateral damage to a minimum. I had to do it recently while remodeling the doorjams and molding at the bar. if you do it right it will help quite a bit. Way worth the 20-30 bucks to get the visqueen and some posts.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Dabbi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Hire strippers, give them tiny pieces of sandpaper and make them work in blistering heat.

Then cool yourself of with drink of your choice.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Misanthrope » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Misanthrope

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Misanthrope wrote:Image

Are planes like voltmeters in that a cheap one is better than not having one at all? Not sure how much of an investment I am willing to make in my sloppy re-finishing hobby.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Misanthrope » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

No. Trying to tune, or fettle, a cheap plane is an exercise in futility, leading to an obnoxious addiction in seeking out vintage hand tools. However, as you happen to live on the East Coast, I'm fairly sure you will be able to locate an older model Stanley #4 fairly easily, which should turn your table top into a work of art in no time flat. No more than $40 -$50.

Haven't been to NYC in years, but apparently I'm gonna have to make a pilgrimage to Brooklyn at some point to check out Gramercy Tool Works. http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/directions.html I love this guys work...
Misanthrope

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!