Last of the "Left Behind" books comes out.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Is Evangelical Christianity a net positive or negative for America?

Poll ended at Fri May 28, 2004 2:57 pm

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 11

Postby Aegis » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:56 pm

Meh... I can still see this going down:

Atheist #1: I am SO non-pious
Atheist #2: No way, dude. I am SO less pious than you.
#1: No fucking way.
#2: Thats it (punches #1)
#1: I am SO getting some of my non-pious friends and leading a campaign to burn out your god-fearing theist ilk!
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Francisco_BR » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:46 pm

Something to ponder: in an atheistic world, humans would have one less thing to fight over (religion), because there is no secondary literature to interpret. Only one belief: gods do not exist. Hard to fuck that one up.

If religion didnt exist, it would be anything else. Anything else that gathers people with similar characteristics- like colour, political orientation or whatever. Religion is onlçy the easiest excuse available.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a believer. You don't see atheists going out like evagelicals, but at it's core, they want you to do the same thing- they want you to change your way of thinking because their respectives ways of thinking are the only absolute truth. Dude, atheists try to do the same shit- converting- but using euphemisms instead of that word.

You guys make me sick. Leave people who have a religion alone, just don't try to "disconvert" them, and stop using euphemisms fot that . Scientifically, philosophically, rationally or whatsofuckingevermore there's no absolute truth reagarding faith. Believe in what you believe. And stop blaming religion for being the cause of every bad shit in the world- it's an over-used and broken argument.
Francisco_BR

Francisco

Postby Skirita » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:00 pm

And stop blaming religion for being the cause of every bad shit in the world- it's an over-used and broken argument.

I never did. Read me critically.

*yawn*

Aegis - "Non-pious" would be an impossible term in a world where the entire concept of religion was unknown. You continue to present scenarios that are impossible within the circumstances I describe. Work on it.
Skirita
Malus In Se

Re: Francisco

Postby Francisco_BR » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:24 pm

Skiritai wrote:
And stop blaming religion for being the cause of every bad shit in the world- it's an over-used and broken argument.

I never did. Read me critically.

*yawn*

Aegis - "Non-pious" would be an impossible term in a world where the entire concept of religion was unknown. You continue to present scenarios that are impossible within the circumstances I describe. Work on it.

kthxbai
Francisco_BR

Postby Aegis » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:52 pm

Oh, grow a sense of humor.

Like I said earlier. A cannon of belief is intrinsic to human nature. Even if people didn't fight over the belief in a particular god, they would fight over other beliefs. God IS just one more thing to fight over, but the lack of a notion of a god would have no impact on the amount of fighting done, since religion would be replaced with another form of belief, and would eliminate a serious incentive to do good as opposed to causing harm.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

skiritai

Postby kilroy » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:43 pm

maybe you're right, but the world will never know. you present an hypothetical situation that could never come to be. i could say, 'well, if no one hated each other, there'd be no fighting!' maybe it's true, but face it, it aint never gonna happen. and religion or no, people will always find something to fight about.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Re: skiritai

Postby Captain_Solo » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:04 pm

kilroy wrote:maybe you're right, but the world will never know. you present an hypothetical situation that could never come to be. i could say, 'well, if no one hated each other, there'd be no fighting!' maybe it's true, but face it, it aint never gonna happen. and religion or no, people will always find something to fight about.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Believe me Skiritai, even in your atheist utopia people would find something dogmatic to fight over. It's human nature...
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe