Buying an AR.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Buying an AR.

Postby ochunter375 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:53 am

Ok, I needed to buy an AR. Any reason to get a gas piston rifle over a gas impingement system? This rifle will be with me on patrol, so I want something I can depend on. I have a budget of $2000.00 max. Some riles on my list are: piston operated models - Barrett REC7, SIg516 patrol, LWRC M6, Colt 6940P. Gas impingement: Noveskee infidel model, Larue tactical OBR 16", LMT. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas. Thanks.
ochunter375

Re: Buying an AR.

Postby Hitoru » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 am

Patrolling for OC ?
Orange County or Oxycontin ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby ochunter375 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Hitoru wrote:Patrolling for OC ?
Orange County or Oxycontin ?

Other Crap!
ochunter375

Postby Hitoru » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

I would suggest you log on to ar15.com and ask those pricks what AR to buy.
We're not the experts like them here at the flag. They seem to know it all and have all the answers.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Just get an inexpensive mil-spec flat top and mount a good quality optic on it, decent backup sights and a light to the rail: Done - as is your $2k

The piston set up is going to cost you more than that probably, if you're including decent optics with the rig - since the piston kit or hdwe is probaly gonna be several hundred bucks - same as a good optic (aimpoints - what are they these days $600? - 2k precludes you mounting an ACOG since they are 1200 and you probably aren't going to find an AR for $800 with backup sights).

I don't know anyone who has shot and gone through all the different brands of ARs - that would take a long time. The one I had was a double star (made in KY) and it was exceptional. I have since sold it - for about 30% more than I bought it for. :)

I shot a borrowed Bushmaster for a NRA match - that was nice too, but kinda expensive in my opinion.

I like AR's - I like anything modular in fact, but the AR doesn't go far enough in that respect.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Buy a cheap bushmaster from gunbroker - if anyone says to but a $$ AR or anything about a 'piston' tell them to go back to airsoft

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 am

Here you go, just get a basic L.M.T

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... ct_id=1040
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wildrunner2011 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 am

I had an LMT Defender 2000 and LOVED IT. I couldn't ask for more in an AR platform. It performed flawlessly at the range and while completing contract work overseas. I hated turning it in (traded it out for a SCAR) and hope to pick up another one when I have 3k to spend on a toy.

just my 2c

ochunter375 wrote:Ok, I needed to buy an AR. Any reason to get a gas piston rifle over a gas impingement system? This rifle will be with me on patrol, so I want something I can depend on. I have a budget of $2000.00 max. Some riles on my list are: piston operated models - Barrett REC7, SIg516 patrol, LWRC M6, Colt 6940P. Gas impingement: Noveskee infidel model, Larue tactical OBR 16", LMT. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas. Thanks.
"Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." - Major I.L. Holdridge, USMC
"They say patience is a virtue, why cant Hurry the Fuck Up be a virtue? ."
Wildrunner2011

Postby Farmdog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 pm

H and K 416 was one of the non standard weapons I have seen floating around, seems to hold up pretty well. If you aren't concerned with shooting over 300 meters a plain old red dot with BUIS will do just fine. Deciding which AR to buy is like arguing about beer, it never ends and everybody has an opinion. Just keep the damn thing clean and remeber that barrel errosion starts at about 1200 rounds.
Farmdog
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Also - what are you using it for, I only ask because you said you "Need to get an AR" - maybe that can make my advice better

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:46 am

WalMArt is now selling DPMS ARs (flat top, chrome molly 16" barrel) for slightly under $600.....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Wildrunner2011 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:07 pm

crotalus01 wrote:WalMArt is now selling DPMS ARs (flat top, chrome molly 16" barrel) for slightly under $600.....

The DPMS panther is a great rifle. I owned one for quite a while and shot the shit out of it. Its a great platform for a good price.
"Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." - Major I.L. Holdridge, USMC
"They say patience is a virtue, why cant Hurry the Fuck Up be a virtue? ."
Wildrunner2011

Postby Reflexred » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 pm

I own a S&W M&P15A , its been a great rifle for me thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions. I Picked it up on gun broker for under $700 brand new in box, half of suggested retail. You dont have to spend 2k to get a good AR its a platform that has been around awhile and there are plenty of good manufacturers out there.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby bobbyvandammit » Sat May 19, 2012 9:35 pm

the only ones worth a shit for a moderate amount of money are daniel defense, colt, lmt, and bravo company. you can go cheaper, but i wouldn't count on many other brands 100% if shit gets weird, especially if you are using it for work.

if you're really wanting a piston rifle, i would take an lmt over the colt le6940p any day. a bit heavier, but higher quality overall. also, if you get a weapon with a monolithic upper receiver, you are limiting the options for interchanging with other manufacturers' rail systems.

we get agency/department mass-trades all the time. if they're trading in something in an ar-platform, they're almost always bushmasters or rock rivers or something similar.

if you have some cash left over and are looking for an optic, i'd say check out the newer aimpoint patrol rifle optic. one of the most cost-efficient models they make, and it comes with a built-in mount. they don't skimp on any features, it's just cheaper. if you want something a bit smaller, the trendy one amongst the haley/costa/lamb/falla crowd is the t-1 micro (but there's a reason why so many people like it.) you can get the h-1 if you don't think you'll need night vision at work. i think all aimpoints now can be left on for three years without the battery dying.

hope this helps a bit!
"A liability is something you own that isn't worth anything- like your family, or joy." -Nicolas Cage
bobbyvandammit

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!