Ghost peppers...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Ghost peppers...

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Kurt wrote:Wait...Melindas finally made a hot sauce that was actually hot? I was always so disappointed with their Habenero sauces that were like XXXXXXXXX hot but I hardly noticed them and I am not exactly a Mr. Pepper-Spray-Me-In-The-Face-And-I-Say-Yum kind of guy.

They did, and it actually tastes nice too. For the most part, I've stopped buying hot sauces that I've never had before because I'm either disappointed in the heat or in the taste. I pretty much stick with El Yucateco Habanera Caribbean or the Kutbil-Ik, depending on what I'm having with it.

As for salsas, same story, so I pretty much stick to homemade now. I did buy the Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa, and while it delivered on heat, it was bland as hell. The most infuriating salsa I've ever bought was Guy Fieri's 7 Pepper Salsa, which is supposed to be the hottest and has "Burn Baby Burn" on the label. After the second bite of it, I wanted to punch that twat-rocket in his stupid face. Not only was it not hot AT ALL, it tasted like crap.

I like this salsa recipe with a few changes. Instead of three jalepenos, I usually use five or six habaneros, and I add far more cilantro than the recipe calls for.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-specials/firehouse-salsa-recipe/index.html
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:30 am

That sucks about Mrs. Renfros. Their habenero salsa is about perfect for me (cilantro is ok but I prefer it out of salsa myself).

Guy Fieri just bugs me all the way around. He goes to some decent places on his show but I wish his show would not have him in it.

The best tasting peppers I ever had were these variations of thai chilis I got in the UK. They were both double strength and double flavor to normal thais I have eaten. The UK has an excellent greenhouse culture and I can really recommend checking out any local farmers market to seek out chilis to sample.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm

I find Guy Fieri and Adam Richman to be incredibly irritating.

I'll have to try the Mrs. Renfro's Habanero salsa...maybe that will do it for me.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:29 pm

"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am

I tried the Mrs. Renfros Joloka salsa and it is pain flavored.

I have been using it to strengthen Pace Picante sauce and about two tablespoons to one jar of Pace makes Pace Picante quite hot, but still edible.

On a similar topic today I bought finger peppers and Scotch Bonnets. The finger peppers I fried up in chunky sea salt and olive oil and the Scotch Bonnets I sliced thinly and slathered peanut butter (cue Brit face wrinkling at the mention of peanut butter) on top of it. The Scotch Bonnets have no heat for some reason. I was getting all ready to name my concoction Pain-nut butter and I got no burn at all. It tasted like a bell pepper.

So then the mildly hot finger peppers alternated between mildly hot and death. It was like I was playing Tapas Roulette. Luckily the fried Okra I made was completely normal and what okra is supposed to be.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Mexi-pep is good. I've gotten sick of siricha crap stateside. I like my hotsawce spicy not filled with sweetener.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 am

Just because it is flaming hot does mean it tastes good – I have never understood this “IT IS SO FUCKING HOT YOU CANT EAT IT” thing.

Heat is great if it adds flavor or an emotional reaction in food – otherwise it is just people thinking hot food that does not taste good is cool or something

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:18 am

JITW wrote:Just because it is flaming hot does mean it tastes good – I have never understood this “IT IS SO FUCKING HOT YOU CANT EAT IT” thing.

Heat is great if it adds flavor or an emotional reaction in food – otherwise it is just people thinking hot food that does not taste good is cool or something

~JITW

Couldn't agree more.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 am

Woodsman wrote:
JITW wrote:Just because it is flaming hot does mean it tastes good – I have never understood this “IT IS SO FUCKING HOT YOU CANT EAT IT” thing.

~JITW

Couldn't agree more.

Fuck you Woodsman - don't you ever agree with me again - we are internet enemies and don't forget it - this is Real World Shit bro

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:26 am

JITW wrote:
Woodsman wrote:

~JITW

Couldn't agree more.

Fuck you Woodsman - don't you ever agree with me again - we are internet enemies and don't forget it - this is Real World Shit bro

~JITW
dont ever call mr bro again or I will pull your patch back away from your b.s. face and let the elastic do the work
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

LOL!
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 pm

I grew up on mrs. renfros and mexi-pep
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe