Whats up Flag?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Whats up Flag?

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 pm

I havent been on here in two or three years - good to see all the same jerkoffs still hanging around! I let skydiving and guns take priority over travel for the last couple of years, but now I am getting the travel bug again. Just not sure if I want to go back to someplace I have already been or get to someplace new. In a perfect world I would go back to A'stan and hang with Laal again, but this trip has to be cheap! I am thinking Colombia maybe?
Of course, a multi country trip would be nice. I am going to have up to two weeks (how much $$$ is to be determined).
Suggestions?
Oh, and has anyone heard from Laal lately?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: Whats up Flag?

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Rendition. Travel the world, end up in Cuba.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Mexico.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Whats up Mike? Long time no talk....
Wish that was an option but its not. I fly discounted, not free - discounted open jaw tickets are a little more expensive than normal full airfare. I am looking for a country that is centrally located where I can hit the neighbors for a couple of days each. Possibilities so far - Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique. Really not wanting to fly more than about 14 hours one way to maximize my time, so that leaves out most of Asia this trip (plus I have spent plenty of time all over Asia)...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Done all of Mexico I care to see Rickshaw. I will admit I am leaning towards South America due to the short flight times and decent exchange rates.....
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Kurt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey! Welcome back.

South America is always good. I don't really get jet lag anymore going to and from Europe but the real lack of jet lag in South America is always nice.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Whats up Mike? Long time no talk....
Wish that was an option but its not. I fly discounted, not free - discounted open jaw tickets are a little more expensive than normal full airfare. I am looking for a country that is centrally located where I can hit the neighbors for a couple of days each. Possibilities so far - Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique. Really not wanting to fly more than about 14 hours one way to maximize my time, so that leaves out most of Asia this trip (plus I have spent plenty of time all over Asia)...

What about the great white frozen north? There must be plenty of wild lands to explore up thataway.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I want to see more of Canada but thats going to be a road trip (assuming gas isnt $10 a gallon by then).
Also going to drive up to Calgary later in the year when I am in Idaho doing some BASE jumping...
Whats up Kurt? Glad to see most of the old faces are still around! Even saw a post by the Colonel in another thread...
Jeez, and Jefe still has a quote from me on his sig line....thats gotta be 8 years old by now. And congrats on finally giving Penta a well earned vacation from the boards!
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Why not fly into Bogota and fly home from Quito?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 am

Hmmm. Thats an idea Rickshaw. Depends on how much they would charge - maybe I could get a one way from the States to Bogota and a one way back from Quito. I will look into that....
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 am

crotalus01 wrote:Hmmm. Thats an idea Rickshaw. Depends on how much they would charge - maybe I could get a one way from the States to Bogota and a one way back from Quito. I will look into that....

I am not a fan of Quito but Guayaquil is nice and has an international airport.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:09 am

Unfortunately I never met RR3 in person...Wish I had but my $$ fell through for that BFC meetup.....
I think visiting Guayaquil might be a nice rememberance - as strange as that may seem...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 am

crotalus01 wrote:Unfortunately I never met RR3 in person...Wish I had but my $$ fell through for that BFC meetup.....
I think visiting Guayaquil might be a nice rememberance - as strange as that may seem...

I never met him there but he did stay with me in NYC a few times. If you remember the planning of the visit back then, I booked my tickets, flew to Guayaquil but the party was postponed so I headed straight to Quenca (worth a visit) and missed the town that he lived in which was Manta.

But my time in Guayaquil was good. I found it mellow and less criminal than Quito. Also cheap hotels in Quito do not have windows. It was the only time in my life where I was frightened of a hotel as the oxygen left at 3am and me and others ran to the lobby so we could breathe. But the Riena Victoria pub (reccomended by Jefe) is worth it, though it is in a skanky area and is one of those places where walking to and from the bar was not recommended by the bartender.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 am

oh yah, and if you remember, we were plotting on going herp hunting there before the party was postponed.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Just got back from Colombia/Venezuela, it was AWEsome. Safer than Costa Rica. Colombia can be expensive if you aren't careful. Venezuela, too, but the unofficial exchange rate (8.5 to the dollar) is a lot better than the official one (4.3/US$1), so you can get good deals if you bring cash.

If you decide to fly out of Quito using airline miles, you might want to doublecheck that it counts as "northern South America;" it takes a lot more miles to fly to destinations in "southern South America." It might be better to fly into Bogotá and out of Cartagena or Barranquilla. Internal flights aren't as cheap as they used to be btw - think US$200 a pop, instead of $70 like they were 5yrs ago. And the roads are absolute shit and all are under construction all the time. For instance, to go the 250km from Bogotá to Manizales was something like 9hrs, from Medellín to Cartagena 14hrs. Don't think in terms of, say, US or Salvadoran roads, when calculating distances, it's more like Costa Rica.

Medellín is awesome, though. Be sure to go there. Manizales has some excellent hot springs in the region, check out Santa Rosa for sure. Villa de Leyva's hot springs are about to be taken over by a hotel chain, so try to get out there ASAP if you're interested.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe