The train from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

Postby suwon fish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:14 am

These pics have no particular artisic merit but some of you might find them interesting.

This is the train station in Sihanoukville. The place is utterly deserted, it has a constant drip, drip, drip like a rain forest...

Sadly, I got no pics from the rest of that day. I followed the train tracks on foot for maybe 10 K's following the coast towards Thailand. All the rolling stock and railway buildings along the track had been cobbled into makeshift accommodation. A half finised railway bridge stood undisturbed since 1975. Indeed, as far as I am aware no train has rolled since 1975. Hun Sen only really runs PP, with Snookyville, Poipet, Angor, Koh Kong etc under control of their own warlords. This split of intrerests is at least 50% of why nothing works in Cambodia. But you know, nothing works there in a really elegant way ^^

One of my more interesting days out in Cambodia.

A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Re: The train from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Postby Royal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 am

Gerat stuff. Post more if you have them.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 am

Royal wrote:Gerat stuff. Post more if you have them.

Please do. Some rolling stock would be nice.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby suwon fish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

Sadly, I'm the kind of dumbass who thinks of taking pics long after the opportunity has passed :( I didn't get any pics of the railway line but it is a fascinating walk for anyone who fancies it. Most of my pics are of scuba diving or of ladies who work in the, err, entertainment industry ^^

That said, even after the great fire of matrimony I still have about a billion random pics of SE Asia and Asis Pacific. I will sort throught them and post any I think you guys might like.

Take it easy
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm

suwon fish wrote:Most of my pics are of scuba diving or of ladies who work in the, err, entertainment industry

start throwin'em up
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby suwon fish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 am

coldharvest wrote:
suwon fish wrote:Most of my pics are of scuba diving or of ladies who work in the, err, entertainment industry

start throwin'em up

Working girls and scuba diving??? Challenge accepted! Give me a day or two to get it rolling ^^
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 am

Btt.
Let's see some more.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby suwon fish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 am

It looks like I was a little premature...

Steam Train Runs Again in Cambodia.

Cambodia - Temples, Books, Films and ruminations...by Andy Brouwer
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Steam Special
All aboard the Steam Special this morning at Phnom Penh railway station. Pic Mike Pass
Mike Pass, who lives in Thailand but has been in Cambodia this week tracking down steam railway engines, sent me this article on this morning's Steam Special:

Sunday saw the first steam train to run on Cambodian rails for many years, courtesy Toll Royal Cambodian Railways. A special 'Family Train Ride' had been organised by the Australian Women's Connection & the station was packed with enthusiastic mums & dads with their awe-struck children, who had never seen a steam engine before. The French built locomotive had been restored by Toll Railways to full operating condition, having been withdrawn from service about 10 years ago, as it was in need of substantial repair.

Looking resplendent in her black livery, Franco-Belge Pacific 4-6-2 loco N°231.501 pulled gently into Phnom Penh's main platform, having spent 2 hours or so being fired-up outside the workshops about a kilometre up the line. The usual tranquil calm of the normally deserted Phnom Penh station was shattered by the shrill whistle of the loco, admist cheers from the waiting crowd, especially from the excited children. The current furore about Toll Railways rumoured pull out of Cambodia was all forgotten for today, as Toll Railways CEO David Kerr & COO John Guiry welcomed some 120 passengers, eager to begin their 42km one & half hour trip to Sras Sre, towards Takeo, on the newly refurbished Southern line. The 6-member locomotive crew had spent many hours lovingly cleaning, checking & oiling up the loco outside the main workshops, before holding a special Buddhist prayer ceremony for a safe journey today. They were all very proud to be associated with this historic loco & welcomed many children on board to operate the very loud & shrill steam-whistle, much to the delight of the assembled crowd. Last photos taken, picnics loaded on board & kids not forgotten, the train departed just after 9am, as scheduled, on what must be a truly memorable & proud day for all those participating, especially for Toll Royal Cambodian Railways & their dedicated loco crew. I watched in envy as the train pulled out of the platform - I had a plane to catch.

posted by Andy Brouwer at 6:21 PM
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 am

Good work fella

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby russlits » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

The modern building with the slender tower: was that the city hall?
russlits

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes