Whats up Flag?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Whats up Flag?

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the tips. Not using miles to fly, I work at Fedex so I get heavily discounted tickets when I fly standby (AA is 90% off regular fare, Delta is 75% off) - I hate flying standby but its generally worth it for the price (although I did get bumped about 6 times trying to get back from Cambodia one year).
Yeah I remember teh herping idea Kurt, wish that whole trip hadnt fallen through. In fact, the only Flaggers I have personally met are Dawn, Laal and Luna. One of these years I am gonna make to a BFC meetup if you guys still have them. Probably combine it with a skydiving/BASE trip.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby gnaruki » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 am

make a list of feasible countries, list them numerically, write corresponding numbers on straws, throw them on the ground, pick one up blind folded, VOILA!!!! totally random.

FYI: I'm the occasional town drunk
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

good to see you in the neighborhood again, mr. crot. you have been missed.

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

see what's cheap to an interesting spot you've never been, then go get your standby tickets from the airline at your better rate.

it's always been tragicomic to me that i typically spend more on the ticket to get to/from somewhere than the rest of the trip in general.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 am

oh yah i always liked your snake avatar
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 am

Hey Kilroy. Hey Fansy.
Funny how all us old Flaggers are marked by that join date huh? Ever notice everyone who got ported over from the original BFC is joined March 24 or 25 2004? Except Kurt - he is March 08 2004 - sneaky bastard!
Yeah I feel the same as you Kilroy - I always found it ironic that with food, lodging, in country travel and souvenirs I spent a little over $500 total in Cambodia/Thailand but the ticket over and back was twice that. True in every country I have been to with the exception of Afghanistan, Jordan and Netherlands - exchange rate killed me in Jordan and Netherlands and Afghanistan was just friggin expensive (Israel was expensive too but I made up some cost by staying and eating in the West Bank - much cheaper!)...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:47 am

So are there still BFC meetups anymore, or is that a thing of the past?
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 am

I think they are more of the one on one (sometimes literally) type these days rather than the mass orgies of yore.
Sri Lanky

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 am

Hmmm. I am planning on doing some traveling in the States this year to do some skydiving and BASE jumping - I will let any of you guys know if I will be in a town near you if you want to hang out one day/night and get some drinks. Still would be nice to see a multi-Flagger meetup again. My biggest regret travel-wise is having my plans to go to the meetup in Guyaquil fall through...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 am

crotalus01 wrote:Hmmm. I am planning on doing some traveling in the States this year to do some skydiving and BASE jumping - I will let any of you guys know if I will be in a town near you if you want to hang out one day/night and get some drinks. Still would be nice to see a multi-Flagger meetup again. My biggest regret travel-wise is having my plans to go to the meetup in Guyaquil fall through...

it was fun and you were missed
if you come through the UK at anytime give us a shout
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 am

crotalus01 wrote:Hey Kilroy. Hey Fansy.
Funny how all us old Flaggers are marked by that join date huh? Ever notice everyone who got ported over from the original BFC is joined March 24 or 25 2004? Except Kurt - he is March 08 2004 - sneaky bastard!
Yeah I feel the same as you Kilroy - I always found it ironic that with food, lodging, in country travel and souvenirs I spent a little over $500 total in Cambodia/Thailand but the ticket over and back was twice that. True in every country I have been to with the exception of Afghanistan, Jordan and Netherlands - exchange rate killed me in Jordan and Netherlands and Afghanistan was just friggin expensive (Israel was expensive too but I made up some cost by staying and eating in the West Bank - much cheaper!)...

I was March 8th because the old BFC was still active then and I had to do testing. There was even an intermediate BFC on my old Pentium 166 for a while that RYP, Svizz , ROB, and rr3 helped me test this software.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:40 am

LOL I remember all that. I HATED the new format - especially the avatars and names being on the right instead of the left - hell I even hated the colors and fonts! Used to it now of course.
Is ROB still around? Havent seen him post I dont believe....
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:10 am

crotalus01 wrote:LOL I remember all that. I HATED the new format - especially the avatars and names being on the right instead of the left - hell I even hated the colors and fonts! Used to it now of course.

He's over at Polo's Bastards
http://polosbastards.com/pb/
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 am

coldharvest wrote:
crotalus01 wrote:LOL I remember all that. I HATED the new format - especially the avatars and names being on the right instead of the left - hell I even hated the colors and fonts! Used to it now of course.

He's over at Polo's Bastards
http://polosbastards.com/pb/

and vying for the title...

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Good to hear from you again crotalus01.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Tacos » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Hey Crot,

ROB posted in Chelly's thread I think, but that was the only one I have seen in a while.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe