Gun Bubble Reloads on Obama Re-election Fears

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Gun Bubble Reloads on Obama Re-election Fears

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 am

The gun bubble has reloaded on fears of a second term for President Barack Obama. His election in 2008 triggered massive growth in firearms sales. Buyers apparently expected the first Democratic White House in eight years to push for stricter gun control laws. That never happened, sending weapon sales tumbling - until now. The prospect of Obama’s re-election is boosting sales, and shares of gunsmiths, once again.

Candidate Obama’s victory nearly four years ago set off the first “run for guns.” Anxiety about economic Armageddon also added to demand for the ultimate counter-cyclical asset. Federal firearm and ammunition excise tax receipts rose 45 percent in fiscal 2009, the biggest increase ever, according to government statistics. Gun-maker Smith & Wesson’s backlog jumped from $20 million in Oct. 2008 to $268 million in April 2009.

The boom misfired. The Obama administration didn’t press for gun legislation of any significance. Meantime, the financial crisis abated and the economy improved, leaving fewer people concerned about stockpiling weapons. Smith & Wesson’s firearms backlog fell to $32 million in October 2010, and the stock lost half its value.

Gun owners and investors are once again betting on post-election restrictions. Whether the president’s leaving gun owners alone is a guide to future policy or “part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and hide his true intentions to destroy the Second Amendment - during his second term!”, as National Rifle Association executive Wayne LaPierre claimed recently in a speech, remains to be seen. Gun buyers aren’t waiting.

Sturm, Ruger recently announced it couldn’t keep up with demand. The maker of weapons such as the Hawkeye Predator varmint rifle had received more than 1 million orders in the first quarter. Smith & Wesson had a nearly $200 million backlog at the end of January. That’s more than 2.5 times larger than it was a year earlier.

No wonder gun stocks are on a tear. Since the start of the year Sturm, Ruger’s stock is up 55 percent; Smith & Wesson’s has risen 91 percent and hunting superstore Cabela’s has surged by 53 percent. The run could continue to November, and perhaps beyond. It may be that a second Obama term will seek to curb the sale of firearms. But history - rather than conspiracy theory - suggests this is just another gun bubble in the making.

Read more at Reuters Breakingviews.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Re: Gun Bubble Reloads on Obama Re-election Fears

Postby nowonmai » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Will Mike never learn?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Numb Nuts.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Hitoru wrote:Numb Nuts.

Investment news on guns gets shunted into rants? Clever.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Devlin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 pm

I stopped by a local shop last week just to see what they had. I had not been there in about two years. The kid working there was telling me that they can't keep any AR's or Ak's in stock. They are also having a hard time with all types of ammo.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Mikethehack wrote:
Hitoru wrote:Numb Nuts.

Investment news on guns gets shunted into rants? Clever.

I do believe that was a harumph.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:28 am

Mikethehack wrote:
Gun owners and investors are once again betting on post-election restrictions. Whether the president’s leaving gun owners alone is a guide to future policy or “part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and hide his true intentions to destroy the Second Amendment - during his second term!”, as National Rifle Association executive Wayne LaPierre claimed recently in a speech, remains to be seen. Gun buyers aren’t waiting.

I repeat , Numb Nuts.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby ktrout » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 am

1. Many stocks across all sectors cratered late summer/fall in 2011.
2. Many stocks, including "the market" have been on a tear since then. The S&P 500 has been rocking out this year.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 am

Mikethehack wrote:Smith & Wesson’s has risen 91 percent and hunting superstore Cabela’s has surged by 53 percent.

Day-yammmnnnnn..... Actually, I think Sturm Ruger's fundamentals look a lot better. Still, at a glance I have other places I'd rather put my money.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Not that I'm a huge fan of Obama or anything (of course I'm going to vote for him, because the GOP position has basically degenerated into men trying to block women's access to contraception, abortion, and even gynecological exams and breast cancer screening) but I am looking forward to what lies the rabid Christian right will tell about him. It'll be tough to top "He's a secret Muslim, Kenyan, Communist who plans to take our guns and put our daughters in rape camps."

Which is especially funny since it's the Republicans who are now mandating mechanized rape by trans-vaginal ultrasound machines as a precondition of getting an abortion in Texas and Arizona, and are trying/have tried to pass it in Pennsylvania,Virginia, Alabama, etc - even for women who have already been raped and that's why they're pregnant. Oh, and listening to people who say Obama is a secret Muslim, but then promote Middle Eastern values like Christianity, keeping women out of the workforce, calling women sluts for having pre-marital sex (or even marital sex) etc; or say Obama is a secret communist, but happily work for the government or accept government contracts, etc etc etc.

Anyway, maybe even they see the irony in their positions, who knows. But I guess that leaves guns as the one thing the GOP hasn't been hypocritical about vis a vis their bizarre accusations about Obama. They haven't tried to ban guns. Neither has Obama, of course, but whatever. And here we go again, with the run on guns.

Which is fine. But, shit, if I hear one more of these gun buyers talk about how it's so difficult to start a business in the USA when they're putting all their money in guns rather than doing what I do, which is operate as a private business because I re-invest in myself and my business rather than buying luxury items (really, an AK-47?), I'm going to puke. That's their excuse for working for the government instead of getting a real job? Parasites. And losers - they're missing out. I just finished paying for my trip to Colombia and Venezuela because I sold work, to other private businesses, using a computer that I bought instead of a gun. And these gun nuts say they can't afford and elitist computers, they couldn't possibly start their own business, they *have* to work for the government, but they hate communism. Or whatever. Good grief.

Also, I just planted arugula in my garden, which means I won't be needing as much Mexican immigrant labor to feed myself, rather than just growing weeds and cars on blocks or whatever. But the fact that I eat arugula is a bad thing, right? I should be buying guns to be a "real" American or whatever. Jeez.

Eating arugula has become a political act
Conservative thinker is branded a closet liberal based on the food he eats.
By PlentyMag.comTue, Mar 24 2009 at 2:51 PM EST

CHEW ON THAT: There's been a lot of recent chatter and thought on food. (Photo: thebittenword.com/Flickr)
The arugula meme was born, so far as I can tell, when a young and relatively unknown presidential candidate by the name of Barack Obama, attempting to sympathize with a group of Iowans about the challenges of rising food prices, opened his mouth and promptly inserted his foot:

"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" the senator said. "I mean, they’re charging a lot of money for this stuff."

The state of Iowa, for all of its vast food production, does not have a Whole Foods, a leading natural and organic foods market. The closest? Omaha, Minneapolis or Kansas City. Mr. Obama, perhaps sensing a lack of reaction from the crowd, moved along to the next topic.

A gaffe? Surely — and the fact that Iowa actually does grow and sell a fair share of arugula doesn’t do much to alleviate that. The reaction, in any case, was every bit as merciless as the rise to fame of a previously obscure leafy green was, err, meteoric: what had previously been the province of the occasional recipe-blogger immediately became the political slur du jour, an all-purpose tool for accusing your opponents of being effete, elite, and otherwise out of touch with the concerns of those fabled ordinary Americans. And Obama, in turn, was promptly anointed as the fancy-dining liberal with the Ivy League degrees: “wine track” candidate who would surely be rejected by Hillary Clinton’s shot-downing beer drinkers, the blue state counterpart to Miss Buffalo Chip and John McCain’s – ahem – salt-of-the-earth Ferragamo loafers.

Clearly Obama didn’t deserve it, but then again neither did arugula. Unlike, say, petite vanilla scones or that old liberal staple, the cappuccino, the plant that is known by much of the English-speaking world as “rocket” hardly deserves to be pegged as the exclusive province of left-wing foodies. It is, for one thing, widely regarded as an aphrodisiac, which makes it arguably the most pro-family of the salad greens out there – and in addition to pairing nicely with some fresh fruit and nuts in a salad, its spicy zest also lends itself well to pesto. It grows like a weed, too, which means that even if there isn’t a Whole Foods around, you can show what it means to embody the virtues of hard work and self-sufficiency by scattering some seeds and growing yourself an edible yard. If a guy can’t eat this stuff without being accused of being a latte-sipping closet communist, then what does that say about the state of our public discourse?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Hitoru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Which is fine. But, shit, if I hear one more of these gun buyers talk about how it's so difficult to start a business in the USA when they're putting all their money in guns rather than doing what I do, which is operate as a private business because I re-invest in myself and my business rather than buying luxury items (really, an AK-47?), I'm going to puke. That's their excuse for working for the government instead of getting a real job? Parasites. And losers - they're missing out. I just finished paying for my trip to Colombia and Venezuela because I sold work, to other private businesses, using a computer that I bought instead of a gun. And these gun nuts say they can't afford and elitist computers, they couldn't possibly start their own business, they *have* to work for the government, but they hate communism. Or whatever. Good grief.
[/quote]

Gun nuts is a broad generalization fs. I guess I am once again missing the point in this portion of your rant.
Are you going to projectile vomit because I own six AK variants and plan on buying/building two more ?

My constant investments in my company are saws,ropes, trucks and various machinery.
All my government jobs have dried up do to the big companies getting them all so I have been servicing well off white peoples trees with my white stupid/stoned labor while competing against illegal alien laborers who don't know anything about trees but how to cut branches with a saw . And a lot of them can't do that properly.

Anyways, I'm sticking with oil company stocks for the time being.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Return to Black Flag Cafe