Kenya

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Kenya

Postby Roland » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Been awhile since I've been on here! I found my first stay to be a bit short, but I find myself in need of recommendation and what better place to ask than the Black Flag Cafe?

Anyway, I'll be leaving for Kenya soon and I'll be staying there for around two months. Going to try to get my foot in the journo door, so I'm going to try to get some cool pictures while I'm there. I'll be staying in Nairobi for a few weeks before making my way over to Mombasa.

The things I plan on checking out so far are Kibera and the ports in Mombasa. I've been checking out some of the ships that go in and out of port there (http://ports.co.za/shipmovements/mombasa/articles.php) and I've found a few anti-piracy ships (including one EU Warship) have been frequenting Mombasa, so I'll hopefully be able to check those out as well.

If anybody knows anything I should check out while I'm there, I'd be grateful. Also, any advice will be well received.

Here's some Chocolate-From-Every-Orifice-Man in advance:

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Roland

Re: Kenya

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 am

Good luck in Nairobbery. Pretty sure Rickshaw and Sean Rorison have been there, might ask them. For journo stuff you might want to swing into Ethiopia and pick up a visa for Hargesia or Puntland - probably lots of good stories in that area...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am

Pretty sure Rickshaw and Sean Rorison have been there,

Been twice. Tusker sucks.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Roland » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:20 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Good luck in Nairobbery. Pretty sure Rickshaw and Sean Rorison have been there, might ask them. For journo stuff you might want to swing into Ethiopia and pick up a visa for Hargesia or Puntland - probably lots of good stories in that area...

Thanks man! I've been reading up on the Kenyan war with Somalia and I pretty much just find body counts. It's strange. Puntland would probably be a good place to check that out. Dunno if I'm ready for Mog or Somalia yet. Haven't lived enough yet, haha.

rickshaw92 wrote:Been twice. Tusker sucks.

And seriously? I was looking forward to that. How's White Cap?
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Roland

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Dunno bout White Cap. I think I was drinkin Pilsner. The Bottoms Up in Kissumu is as dodgy as one could want as are the other 24hr drinkin places near the bus station. Nairobbery aint what it was. Last I was there I did my usual wander round at night blindly drunk and nobody, even the taxi and auto rickshaw guys bothered me. I bit of a let down.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Roland » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Dunno bout White Cap. I think I was drinkin Pilsner. The Bottoms Up in Kissumu is as dodgy as one could want as are the other 24hr drinkin places near the bus station. Nairobbery aint what it was. Last I was there I did my usual wander round at night blindly drunk and nobody, even the taxi and auto rickshaw guys bothered me. I bit of a let down.

Watch me get stabbed while asking for directions.
Roland

Postby Tacos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:13 pm

I disagree, a cold Tusker hit the spot for me several times.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 pm

I also disagree, Tusker is my favourite beer in the world.

lol at getting stabbed asking for directions. God looks after fools and drunks, everyone knows that. Except English ones in Miami obviously.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Roland » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:25 am

Well, I'll make sure to try the Tusker out for myself. I sometimes have a tendency to be a belligerent drunk, so I'll have to keep that to a minimum. Thanks for your input guys!
Roland

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:30 am

I sometimes have a tendency to be a belligerent drunk, so I'll have to keep that to a minimum.

But thats the best part of travel!
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Roland » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:59 am

rickshaw92 wrote:But thats the best part of travel!

Haha, yeah but I dunno. I'm not an aggressive person and I don't drink often (can't really in the US, not 21 yet), but over the past year or so whenever I get drunk I get up to no good. Its probably bound to happen, but I'll do what I can to avoid it. I'm surprised there isn't a "Drunk while Abroad Stories" thread.

I was in Beijing during the 2010 world cup. I shit my pants at a party that took place after the Denmark-Holland game. It wasn't really because I was black-out drunk, I just refused to use squatter toilets. Just excused myself and went to the bathroom and cleaned up. Nobody I was with knew about it until the next day though. Called me "the stealth bomber".

I remember when it happened the DJs were playing Hocus Pocus by Focus since they're a Dutch band and the Dutch won that game. One of the more badass shits I've taken throughout the course of my life.

Don't judge me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY
Roland

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:07 am

I don't drink often (can't really in the US, not 21 yet),

I was in Beijing during the 2010 world cup. I shit my pants at a party

Go away. Really. Just fuck off. And please whipe your ass.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Roland » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 am

Meh, we've all done stupid shit. I'm learning.

Nothing I can do about my age either, but I plan on staying.
Roland

Postby nowonmai » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Anyone who fesses up to cacking themselves is okay in my book.

When did you last follow through rickster?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:20 pm

Have colostomy bag, will travel.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe