Cambodia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Cambodia

Postby babihutan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-rlv32xhw

something to get the mood right!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 am

Funny you posted that. I actually had permission from Jello to make a video of Holiday In Cambodia set to images I filmed while I was there. Never got around to it and then a year or so later his bandmates sued him and he lost all rights to all DK songs. What a fucking travesty...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:57 pm

If I'm not mistaken Swain met Jello at some point in his glorious past.
Sri Lanky

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 am

I met him as well. He is a really cool guy. I dont agree with all of his beliefs but he is at least open minded and will listen to your counterpoints. And he is entertaining as hell, and an amazing lyricist!
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby babihutan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 am

Never did get into DK much, but you're right, quite entertaining, and very opinionated. I just figured the song perfectly set the mood for some dark sinister trip to Cambodia of the old days.
I was only there in 2002 I think, and things were already much prettier than how I'd imagined. I imagine things are even better now, more do-gooders, ngos, improving economy.
There was definitely a very intense vibe that seemed to be simmering beneath the surface of the friendly, yet scarred population. And while I was there, a huge anti-Thai riot broke out over some comments made by a Thai pop star stating that Angkor Wat technically belonged to Thailand or some crazy business. I was in the capital when it happened, and people were just going nuts, torching Thai-owned businesses, it was with such ferocity, unreal. Lots of pain in their hearts! And a very big inferiority complex to their neighbours.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 am

And while I was there, a huge anti-Thai riot broke out over some comments made by a Thai pop star stating that Angkor Wat technically belonged to Thailand or some crazy business. I was in the capital when it happened, and people were just going nuts, torching Thai-owned businesses, it was with such ferocity, unreal.

I just missed that, was my 2nd visit. Still good pizza tho!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby babihutan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:37 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
And while I was there, a huge anti-Thai riot broke out over some comments made by a Thai pop star stating that Angkor Wat technically belonged to Thailand or some crazy business. I was in the capital when it happened, and people were just going nuts, torching Thai-owned businesses, it was with such ferocity, unreal.

I just missed that, was my 2nd visit. Still good pizza tho!

Lucky you! I unfortunately have no fond memories of food there. But yeah, I ended up going to Laos by fate cause the Thai border was shut down, with all the chaos. I have mixed feelings on Cambodia, very pretty girls, contrasting with very nasty landscape. I found the people in general much more open and approachable than most of their neighbours surprisingly. I recommended Cambodia to a friend of mine who wanted to do southeast Asia, and he still, to this day busts my balls over him having a horrible time there. This guy has racked up around 30 countries on his travels, and states Cambodia as the one place he would never return. It's definitely not for everyone!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Maybe not for everyone but I loved it - been there 4 times so far and would go back again.
As for the food, most of it was lackluster but there was one place in Phnom Penh that has a dish called loklak - pinkish red rice with strips of grilled water buffalo, and a dipping sauce for the meat made with fresh lime juice, salt, pepper garlic and who know what else - that stuff was awesome! I ate there about 9 times and got the loklak every time...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Maybe not for everyone but I loved it

+1. Hoping to do an Asia tour after the Olympics and am looking forward to some happy pizza washed down with lots of Angkor while being sat on the river in PP.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Last time I was in PP I stayed at the Full Moon Guesthouse right on the lake, and every room came with a complimentary ounce of weed - it was shit gear though.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe