Lightweight Travel Pants

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Lightweight Travel Pants

Postby AztecDave » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Have been trying to figure out what's good - Columbia, ex offcio, REI. Not into the convertable pants. Anybody?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Lightweight Travel Pants

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Take a look at Khul.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I use these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/590/0/Re ... ERIAL*Wool

The "year round" kind. I found them to be useless in the winter because they are way too thin. The first winter breeze is easily felt. But they can be washed, they are light and really do not wrinkle too bad. They have big front pockets as well. The important part of them IMO is they do not look at all like "lightweight travel pants". I wore these during a moderately hot fall in Corsica this year and they were very comfortable and in cold-ish, wet Yorkshire where they resisted the wet air nicely (but a breeze would have made me feel like I was wearing only underwear).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Royal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 pm

ROHAN *Bags.(*That's the name of the pants).
They do summer & winter weights.
Good security. Plenty of zip pockets. Take little space in luggage, just roll up.

Dark colours if need to be a bit less casual. Very fast drying. Don't hardly crease.
Thin & don't seem to wear out.
I use the lightweights a lot.

http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/M ... sers_00030
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby flipflop » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 am

Seriously gay thread

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 am

How can you say it's gay ? That's ridiculous.

http://www.rohandesigns.com/Category/De ... rdwatching
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm

flipflop wrote:Seriously gay thread

Cheers

kiss kiss
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:How can you say it's gay ? That's ridiculous.

http://www.rohandesigns.com/Category/De ... rdwatching

they look good. how do they fit & wear?
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Search eBay for Rohan.

I like the pants at $ 10 - 15 a lot more than at $ 100 - 150.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:31 pm

AztecDave wrote:Have been trying to figure out what's good - Columbia, ex offcio, REI. Not into the convertable pants. Anybody?

Man I have been searching for these types of pants for over a decade. There are tons of different varieties on the market and I have never seen a decent pair of lightweight but tough pants with all the right features yet.

I purchased 2 pair of White Sierra lighweight nylon travel pants late last year. They are NOT convertibles. They were cheap, and fit was very good, they can certainly pass for dress or dress casual (khakis) but really they don't hold up - fabric sort of a copy of supplex. They will last about 3 months of normal (not hard) use. These have mesh pockets (suck). Better to have real pockets and small mesh drainhole rivets in them (like the kind you see in boonie hats).

5.11s lightweight poly/co 65/35 are pretty good (the fabric is close to ideal - though movement is too loud in them for my tastes and the cotton carabiner holder is a poor idea (I cut those off), as is the single sunglasses-crushing-too-small-for-a-proper-mag pocket in front (and the hidden front pocket is nearly useless as well). The pockets are a little small all around in these, and no drainholes unless you install them yourself (suck). The plus is that they DO hold up and hold up well to HARD use - I have used these as work pants for several years.

Columbias are okay - I have some of their GMT pants (these are convertible though they make similar pants non-convertible), the thigh pockets could use double velcro to help them stay shut better but the drainholes are tiny sewn in things that don't work all that well.

I have not tried some of the better pants I have seen - usually I see these when I have a full supply of pants or the ones I've seen are not in my size...These are made by The North Face, Marmot, Moonstone, Patagonia, etc. The fabric and design looks to be top grade, they look durable and I suspect they are - I will be picking up a few pairs of these pants this year. I expect to pay $60-80/pair which is usually what they are priced at. This is kind of pricey, but you're paying for quality and that's pretty important.

My suggestion is to go to a high-end sporting goods store (the kind that sells mountain climbing and serious hard core outdoor gear) and have a look around at their pants. That is where you will find the kind of pants we are both looking for.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:Search eBay for Rohan.

I looked at those on ebay - they have built in belts = don't accommodate holsters. Maybe you won't take a sidearm traveling, but that depends on where you're traveling. To me, I would not purchase a pair of paints with a built in belt and no additional belt loops at least 1.5" in width.

Edited to say that the link Royal posted look like pretty serious pants, but I would say those diagonal zippers are a bit "tactical" for my tastes - take those away and you've got some pretty decent pants from the pic I see on the 'net.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:17 pm

faggots
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Royal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

they look good. how do they fit & wear?

Rohan Bags:
No pleats.
If you have a bit of a fat gut/arse, keep the return label.
If your slim they look good.(according to spunk bags).

They're very lightweight/cool. Always Ok in placeslike steaming BKK & SIN etc.
They are the best wearing pants I know.
I looked for even better, but these do me.

They're not gay.

Wish they done a pink........
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Woodsman wrote:
Detroit_Pierogi wrote:Search eBay for Rohan.

I looked at those on ebay - they have built in belts = don't accommodate holsters. Maybe you won't take a sidearm traveling, but that depends on where you're traveling. To me, I would not purchase a pair of paints with a built in belt and no additional belt loops at least 1.5" in width.

Edited to say that the link Royal posted look like pretty serious pants, but I would say those diagonal zippers are a bit "tactical" for my tastes - take those away and you've got some pretty decent pants from the pic I see on the 'net.

Fair enough. The thing about eBay is that it pays to be patient. New and different stuff comes and goes all the time. I have bought lots of car parts off of eBay. Most of the time the item I want isn't there the first time I look. I set-up and save searches with very specific parameters. Their system will then run the search and email me the results - once a day if I want. As soon as what I want shows up, I snag it.

Just an option to consider.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Nothing wrong with posting gear queer stuff in the gear forum. Stray outside and its ghey.

I like Vertx:
http://www.wearvertx.com/
and these:
http://www.chlorophylle.net/?ref=pants-and-shorts%281%29.php&action=voir_detail&fiche_id=1428
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!